Your two cents please! Blonde to brunette strategy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoxLove

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm working as an intern at a salon and while I am nowhere near advanced enough to attempt to perform color corrections, nor would I be allowed to, I've been posed with a challenge by my highly skilled superior who's been in the industry for 22 years. Redken, Wella, and Goodwell are the color houses.

She asked me to outline the steps I think need to be done in order to take a bottle blonde who's a level 6 in the root area, 8/9 throughout the mids to ends (looks lighter in the pic than it is) to an all over brunette.
And since I love a good problem I thought I'd give it a go.

The client: A busy mom of 3 young kids who wants a lower maintenance color. Natural level 3/4, a little grey, hair is in good condition overall (olaplaex always) ends are slightly more porous than the rest. She likes a slightly deeper root color and a bit of a shadow.

Currently her hair looks like this.

Roots .png

The Goal: More of an all over color

G Brown.png

Pre pigment with gold/red.
Roots: Colorance Demi 1 part 6B with a bit of 6N, slight root shadow
Mid to Ends: CD 2 part 7GB + 1 part 8NP mixed with 2%
Glaze with CD clear

* maybe isolate some of the highlighted pieces in foil packets, tone with CD 8GB to add a little dimension?

What do you think, am I on the right track or way off? Be brutal with honesty. Be kind. :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm working as an intern at a salon and while I am nowhere near advanced enough to attempt to perform color corrections, nor would I be allowed to, I've been posed with a challenge by my highly skilled superior who's been in the industry for 22 years. Redken, Wella, and Goodwell are the color houses.

She challenged me to outline the steps I think need to be done in order to take a bottle blonde who's a level 6 in the root area, 8/9 throughout the mids to ends (looks lighter in the pic than it is) to an all over brunette.
And since I love a good problem I thought I'd give it a go.

The client: A busy mom of 3 young kids who wants a lower maintenance color. Natural level 3/4, a little grey, hair is in good condition overall (olaplaex always) ends are slightly more porous than the rest. She likes a slightly deeper root color and a bit of a shadow.

Currently her hair looks like this.

View attachment 200362

The Goal: More of an all over color

View attachment 200364

Pre pigment with gold/red.
Roots: Colorance Demi 1 part 6B with a bit of 6N, slight root shadow
Mid to Ends: CD 2 part 7GB + 1 part 8NP mixed with 2%
Glaze with CD clear

* maybe isolate some of the highlighted pieces in foil packets, tone with CD 8GB to add a little dimension?

What do you think, am I on the right track or way off? Be brutal with honesty. Please remember I'm a newbie and not very experienced in color applications yet. Be kind. :)

Hello! I think you re definitely on the right track. I would begin with a Malibu crystal gel treatment and Olaplex stand alone. This will help the color take and hold better for sure. Also use Olaplex in all formulas. I would probably drop down a shade in your highlight foils though. Any tint back is definitely going to fade after a few shampoos so you want to go just a little darker than your target to allow for this. And make sure she is using correct product at home(hypothetically-love the Viral shampoos out now for home maintenance!) Let us know how you do!

Hello! I think you re definitely on the right track. I would begin with a Malibu crystal gel treatment and Olaplex stand alone. This will help the color take and hold better for sure. Also use Olaplex in all formulas. I would probably drop down a shade in your highlight foils though. Any tint back is definitely going to fade after a few shampoos so you want to go just a little darker than your target to allow for this. And make sure she is using correct product at home(hypothetically-love the Viral shampoos out now for home maintenance!) Let us know how you do!

Hey Jen, thanks for sharing. I hadn't thought about using a gel or stand alone Olaplaex treatment prior to coloring. Noted about using it throughout the service as well as dropping down a level for the highlights. Great suggestions. Your advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back