Coping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tresses

Reaction score
Hi I am after some advice. I have been running my salon by myself for about 9 months since my staff left to open their own salon. My Dad died yesterday, and I am having to work today as I am fully booked. I am just asking what the best way to cope in situations like this. Thank you x

I didn't want to read and run.. Hugs to you, it's going to be hard but you'll stray strong and get through it xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Is it possible to ring round and postpone some/any of the appointments that can be rearranged. I'm sure your clients would completely understand in these circumstances.

If you really have to work, throw yourself into each treatment fully, hopefully concentrating on each step carefully will give your poor tired mind some temporary peace. If you need to cry afterwards then do so, crying is not weak, it's the body and minds way of dealing with huge emotion.

Do you have some support in place for the next few days and weeks from a personal aspect.

Be kind to yourself

I don't want to just sit at home all day. My first client has cancelled, so I am going in at 1. I live above, so that makes it easier. Thank you for your kind words x

I don't want to just sit at home all day. My first client has cancelled, so I am going in at 1. I live above, so that makes it easier. Thank you for your kind words x
Exactly the same happened to me so I totally feel for you.

I found it a lot easier not to talk about it because it just upset me. Some good advice here. I worked but also allowed myself to howl as required.

Sending love x

Sorry for your loss [emoji8] I've seen you're in devon.. Where abouts are you?

I am in Ilfracombe x

It might sound strange, but I lost my sister 25 years ago and that was horrendous. Going through that experience has prepared me for coping and My Dad has lived 6 months longer then the Drs gave him. He is at peace now which gives me comfort. Thank you for your support xx

So sorry for your loss.

Good advice above so I'm just going to echo the others to look after yourself and take it day by day.
Some days might be easier to just work through and other days, you might feel floored by it all, so if you have to cancel clients, so be it. Your mental well being is just as important as physical health.

Remember to take care of you.

My condolences to you and your family at this very difficult time.

Hope you get through the day ok. Sending hugs xxx

I'm a freelance hairstylist in bideford so if you ever need a hand I'm not far from you xx

Sorry for your loss, would be best to have a few days here and there unbooked just to give yourself a bit of breathing space for the next few weeks. There will probably be some days when you have to deal with family issues, so at least you can push back appointments if needed or just have some time off to have a sit down. If you don't feel like telling your clients then that's fine, everyone deals with it in a different way. In fact a lot of people prefer to bury themselves in work for a while. Hope today went ok for you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! As far as business goes you need to do what's best for you. Personally I work well keeping busy it's a great coping mechanism for me. If you need time off, ....... Take it!! Look after yourself! Sending big hugs & positive thoughts!! Xx

Thank you all as soon as my last client left i burst into tears xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. This link has a great description of the grieving process that has made a lot of sense to my family and I during times of loss.

http://www.tickld.com/x/old-man-explains-death-and-life-to-grieving-young-man

I think you did great getting through the day. It can help to be busy but if you need to cry or you need a day off then let yourself. Thinking of you xx

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dad few years ago. It was cardiac arrest so there was no warning, it was a huge shocker. It takes time to accept and heal, you will have good days and bad but will get through it. Take care of yourself and time off when you need it. Lots of hugs xx

Whatever you believe , here is a poem that I have personally found comfort in .......

Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still
Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy way you always used
Put no difference into your tone
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed
At the little jokes we always enjoyed together
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effort
Without the ghost of a shadow in it
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolute unbroken continuity
What is death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind
Because I am Out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near
Just around the corner
All is well.
Nothing is past,nothing is lost
One brief moment and all will be as it was before
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

I'm sorry for your loss.

I lost my mum 2 months after I started my salon. I found being at work was so much easier than being at home.

I always took a deep breath before walking into work. And professional me walked into the salon. I put on a big smile and talked about the weather and my clients trials and tribulations.

I did by appointment only for a couple of weeks so basically if they hadnt booked in before the funeral they would have to wait until after. That way I could support my family and be supported by them too.

You need time to grieve as well.

Look after yourself.

Latest posts

Back