Copy cat industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylieNails

Reaction score
Hey girls we all know nails is an industry where inspiration is taken from each other every day but I have a local copy cat who copies everything from my designs to my deals and also tries adding my regulars on social media sites a lot. Do you think it would be unfair to make a pic collage with the nails ive done and the I ones shes copied but not name her obviously and just put I love to inspire people ir something. I dont wanna do it in a bitchy way I just want people to understand that my designs are original xxx

Last edited:
Don't waste your time. How does that saying go? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Just keep doing what you're doing. Watermark all your pictures, and don't pay her any mind. The time you're about to put into wasting on her, you could be using to boost your own business. :)

It's just so frustrating arghh. I'll keep that saying in mind hahah. Thanks chick xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It can be, but if you look at it a different way, it might not be. Maybe this girl doesn't know where to start, and she finds what you're doing ideal.

Feelings of anger and frustration can only happen to you if you let them. By even noticing what's happening and interpreting it in the way that you have, it will frustrate you. Don't let it. By putting her work on the spot by comparing it to yours (even if it wasn't intended to be catty) it could still come off as childish. Be the bigger person and just let it be.

Haha kaylie I've used your salon before, and I know EXACTKY who you're talking about...trust me there's is of a MUCH lower standard than yours...like shockingly bad! Haha glad to see someone I recognise on here!! But I would be annoyed too, I mean if she wanted some ideas does she have to take them from you,there are a million you tube videos with ideas...maybe she should watch some to practice her technique!!

Xx

It can be, but if you look at it a different way, it might not be. Maybe this girl doesn't know where to start, and she finds what you're doing ideal.

Feelings of anger and frustration can only happen to you if you let them. By even noticing what's happening and interpreting it in the way that you have, it will frustrate you. Don't let it. By putting her work on the spot by comparing it to yours (even if it wasn't intended to be catty) it could still come off as childish. Be the bigger person and just let it be.

That was my worry. Thanks for your help hun your right xxxx

Haha kaylie I've used your salon before, and I know EXACTKY who you're talking about...trust me there's is of a MUCH lower standard than yours...like shockingly bad! Haha glad to see someone I recognise on here!! But I would be annoyed too, I mean if she wanted some ideas does she have to take them from you,there are a million you tube videos with ideas...maybe she should watch some to practice her technique!!

Xx

Thankyouuuu my darlinggg that's what I thought im literally down the road its too close to be imitating xxx

Surely though, my mind set would be to offer something different to others around me....I mean what's the point of just copying exactly what you do (or halving an attempt at doing it!!) There are millions of designs FOR FREE that she could try online.....bit stalker-ish if you ask me!!
Yours are more 'edgy' so why doesn't she try and put her own spin on nails, or practice her own ideas to show clients, or go for a more classic type designs......there a million other things she could do. Just make sure you do the best you can do, and keep making it clear that these are original designs by you.

Do you know her personally or ever known her through school or whatever? Maybe she's jealous, or sees your work as something she should be striving to achieve'??

X

I feel sorry for the other girl, she obviously has nothing to inspire her apart from your work.

If your nails are so much better done, it shouldn't make a difference x

Ignore her and try your best not to look at what she is up to. Its only going to frustrate you and as said above, you will waste time and energy on someone who doesnt deserve it. Also, the minute you start responding to her, she will start to feel far more important than she is! :hug:

I feel sorry for the other girl, she obviously has nothing to inspire her apart from your work.

If your nails are so much better done, it shouldn't make a difference x

I never said they where better... but its the principal ive been doing ut a tesr shes beem doing it 10 her client base must be huge.. im just starting and shes tryna take the one thing that defines me and attempt it her self

Surely though, my mind set would be to offer something different to others around me....I mean what's the point of just copying exactly what you do (or halving an attempt at doing it!!) There are millions of designs FOR FREE that she could try online.....bit stalker-ish if you ask me!!
Yours are more 'edgy' so why doesn't she try and put her own spin on nails, or practice her own ideas to show clients, or go for a more classic type designs......there a million other things she could do. Just make sure you do the best you can do, and keep making it clear that these are original designs by you.

Do you know her personally or ever known her through school or whatever? Maybe she's jealous, or sees your work as something she should be striving to achieve'??

X

Never even heard of her until my clients started sending me pictures of their nails shed copied. She's like 40 odd double my age xx

Like you say though,that's supposed to define you, hmmmm I just can't see a way for it to stop, sounds like maybe she's doing it on purpose...but then again, if a client shows her one of it clients pictures and asks for that design, then she can't do anything other than give them that, v.annoying though. Obviously you want to put pictures online so people/potential clients can see your work and hopefully book you in the future, but at the same time it gives people your designs. Maybe if you focus on making yours as perfect as they can be then it will be your skill that can define you

X

Yeah your right rea but that's not the situation here :/ gonna have to jyst get over it hahah x

It is nice to get the credit where it is deserved. On occasions where I have taken an inspiration from fellow techs I have always given the due credit and respect so that they know, there are many clients that bring in designs they found online so you really have no choice. Famous painters are copied constantly! But there is only ONE Dali, One Picasso, One Van Gogh etc. .. You get my point

“Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” Henry Ward Beecher.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Just think of it as a compliment otherwise your going to stress yourself out keep thinking about it, just watermark your work especially if u use Facebook etc there is plenty of apps to help you with this, good luck Hun x

It is nice to get the credit where it is deserved. On occasions where I have taken an inspiration from fellow techs I have always given the due credit and respect so that they know, there are many clients that bring in designs they found online so you really have no choice. Famous painters are copied constantly! But there is only ONE Dali, One Picasso, One Van Gogh etc. .. You get my point

“Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” Henry Ward Beecher.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I do exactly that too as its unfair and I literally love everything you have judt said xxxx

Just think of it as a compliment otherwise your going to stress yourself out keep thinking about it, just watermark your work especially if u use Facebook etc there is plenty of apps to help you with this, good luck Hun x

I watermark everything and thanks hun xxx

Has there been more since the other day chick? There's one thing being inspired it's another blatantly copying as I've said before, I'd be more than embarrassed! Xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Never even heard of her until my clients started sending me pictures of their nails shed copied. She's like 40 odd double my age xx

Consider that her clients may have showed her pics of your work and asked for the same. Only she knows why, however, I'm just giving another angle.

Also from a copyright perspective, you'd be infringing her copyright by using her photos to compare against yours.

Keep doing what you've been doing, you're setting the trend ;)

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back