Council problems - running salon from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraBeauty

Reaction score
Has anyone who has set up their own salon in a room in the house had to apply for planning permission?

I wanted to make sure I was following all correct steps into starting up and was advised to contact local authority which I did - they are now saying I have to get full planning permission costing £385 to ask neighbours, assess parking, noise control etc just for a room in my house being a beauty salon :/ seems so unfair and extreme...

This varies from council to council and unfortunately they can demand what they want really. Normally you just have to seek permission but if they want full planning consent given then unfortunately that's what you will have to do.

Hi i work from my home rented from my local council. When i first enquired i just filled a form in, i did ring them and they told me they had to check with planning dept, and with the roads dept.

I did'nt need planning, just had to agree to few conditions, this may be different for your area, have you been on the council website for your area?

My local council said I didn't need planning permission unless I wanted to alter the look of my property from the outside. I have sufficient parking ect. However when I asked for this in writing it was told that would be applying for planning permission. Ay??? I think they just need an excuse to try and squeeze money out of everything. Xxx

Planning permission for what? You may need a licence, they may try and get you to change your premises to a class 2 commercial, you may have to put I lighting, sinks etc. planning permission is a new one, be careful though do not change usage to commercial etc if your a home owner you will end up with capital gains tax at 40% when you sell.

Thanks guys u have really helped xx

Latest posts

Back