Cover costs or aim for profit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyNyx

Reaction score
Hi all...I've just finished my level 3 in hairdressing now ... and have a total of 4 years experience (3 years in college and a years gap in which I did some voluntary work and some mobile clients).

I'm currently in the process of looking for a salon job, but figured that i'd try to drum up a little bit more mobile business in the meantime for some extra cash (yes I have insurance, and yes I declare my earnings).

Since i've been training, I've just been charging clients the same as my colleges level 3 prices, plus £2 travel costs. However my college charges extra for cut & blow (£9.50) with colours etc, wheras I just add £3 to the charge. But they're all aware that I am considering upping my prices now that i'm fully qualified and more confident.

Currently, my most expensive service is Fullhead Highlights/Cut & Blow coming in at £25.50. I live in quite a poor area, so I know that keeping my prices low will help me to get business. My question is, do you think i'm charging at a good rate, or do you think there's room for some more profit? I wouldn't raise anything too steeply, but I don't want people to think i'm undercharging. I also don't want to cut my nose of to spite my face.

Could I charge a tad more or do you think my chances are better keeping the prices as low as I can?

Yes my lovely girl, raise your prices immediately.

There was a thread similar to this last week and my advice was the same .. advertise your prices at the level you want them to be and then if you feel more comfortable doing so, maybe offer a 10% discount whilst you increase your speed and confidence.

You're now in the real world trying to make a living, you're not training anymore ok!

Good luck.

Jacqui xx

At 25 for highlights, once you have factored out travel costs and product costs, you are well below minimum wage. If you join the "cheap" route, you will get all the cheapskate clients who mess you around, plus you will be locked into using the cheapest, lowest quality products, rather than being able to grow as a hairdresser.

Let clients decide what to afford, you just peg your prices to other mobiles in the area, and aim a little higher with your profit. Nobody can work for little or no profit.

Start valuing yourself, my darling. You, and your time, is worth more than doing it all for nothing. Put your prices up significantly, now. If anyone queries it, tell them you are worth it and you do a good job.

Thanks very much guys I appreciate you replying.

Yeah right...here in Zuerich is very expensive..and i used to have private to my friends during day off sometime...and if they are satisfied with your work even if you have standard price they will give you more tip...its the price and satisfaction;)

Latest posts

Back