Cracks in acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandy1985

Reaction score
Hi I qualified as a nail tech last year and have just done my 3rd acrylic set of sculpted nails. recently changed to CND products which I've been getting on great with. APART from the set I just done, when I had finished shaping and smoothing out the sculpted nails and removed the dust I noticed 5 nails had what looked like cracks or layers under the acrylic. It ruined the look being natural french nails and I have done many acrylic nails and not had this before.
Can anyone tell me what I could have done wrong?
Feeling a little disheartened as am a bit of a perfectionist :p
Xx

Acrylic ratio too dry?. Do you have pics?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392851060.713296.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392851040.820874.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392851040.820874.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 153
Are you using the 180 side of the file or the 100 grit side? When I did my conversion last week we were told using the 100 grit side just tears through the acrylic straight after application (can show up like crack) and should only be used to remove the bulk when re balancing. I only found this out last week as when I trained in college we were told to use the 180 grit side and then use the 100 grit side before using a boomerang padded file and glossing block... Also you mix ratio may be wrong. Perhaps you could get a practice sheet where you practice making beads and placing them and seeing if they form a perfect dome or flatten too much or not enough. Hope this helps a little.

I did switch to my 100grit half way through as my other file was knackered and my friend was in a hurry, I Didn't even think about it effecting the acrylic like that but make sense thanks!
Will also practice mixing ratio tho too beings I've changed systems :) thanks for the help!

It looks like mix ratio is too dry, there,s lifting too all around the sides and cuticle area. Try using a wetter application, also make sure your monomer is not contaminated with residue from the white powder...and like iamaleximus suggest about the practice sheet, and don,t touch the cuticle or skin with acrylic on application.

I didn,t know about the 100 grit file cracking the acrylics. I still use 100 grit file over acrylics once it is 100% dry, and until today i haven,t had any crack, but anything could be possible i guess.

If you can afford it I would defiantly recommend the conversion course with CND It takes you back over the basics teaching you the correct filling techniques to prevent injury to mixing ratios.

iamaleximus out of curiosity, did you mean we should not use 100 grit file over acrylics?. The way i do it, once acrylic is dry i file the sides with 180 grit file, and use the 100 grit to file above the acrylics, is this incorrect?

I,m asking because on training they told me to use 100 grit on side and over the acrylics, but since 100 grit is so aggresive and i was hurting some clients when i start doing nails, for that reason i decide to use 180 grit for the sides and shape and 100 grit to reduce the above bulk of the acrylics.

Is this is bad??

180 is for shaping and refining. 100 for re balancing and taking down the length. We were told that the 100 grit side shouldn't be used for 24 hours on acrylic as it's not at it's strongest until 24 hours later and using the 100 grit file can tear through causing cracks.

Latest posts

Back