Creative advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellymarie_85

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone :)

I'm just after some advice on what to do with a clients hair please. Last weekend I did a full head colour using Koleston 55/65 and 8/0 with 6%, after using the same colour to do cap highlights a month or so before. The client absolutely loved the colour of the highlights and decided she wanted to do a full head colour. She's now decided she doesn't love it as much as she thought, and would like to add something to "break it up", but I'm not sure what to do with it. Her hair is very short (photo attached), and she's sent me a photo of a lady with long hair, with much the same colour roots, and ombre going to a very light blonde (photo also attached). Obviously this isn't an option due to her hair being so short, and I think if I even tried it'd just look awful! So, does anyone have any suggestions please? She's a fan of cap highlights, which is actually far easier on her hair. She'd like something lighter too, rather than darker. If you also happen to have some pics as a visual aid that'd also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_120208.jpg
    IMG_20191228_120208.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 80698175_982979302086677_2943654122345201664_n.jpg
    80698175_982979302086677_2943654122345201664_n.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 35
Happy New Year everyone :)

I'm just after some advice on what to do with a clients hair please. Last weekend I did a full head colour using Koleston 55/65 and 8/0 with 6%, after using the same colour to do cap highlights a month or so before. The client absolutely loved the colour of the highlights and decided she wanted to do a full head colour. She's now decided she doesn't love it as much as she thought, and would like to add something to "break it up", but I'm not sure what to do with it. Her hair is very short (photo attached), and she's sent me a photo of a lady with long hair, with much the same colour roots, and ombre going to a very light blonde (photo also attached). Obviously this isn't an option due to her hair being so short, and I think if I even tried it'd just look awful! So, does anyone have any suggestions please? She's a fan of cap highlights, which is actually far easier on her hair. She'd like something lighter too, rather than darker. If you also happen to have some pics as a visual aid that'd also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
What's underneath the 55/65? Under the previous highlights?

So, she first came to me with highlighted hair, base colour was an 8-ish, not sure exactly what was on it though. We then did a full head tint with an 8/96 (off the top of my head). Then we did the 55/65+8/0 highlights, then as an all over colour. She seems to change her colour quite often - lucky it's short!

I have a pixie cut (similar to my avatar) and have previously done on myself an ombré/root stretch with dark purple roots and pale pinky lilac tips. Sorry, I don’t have any photos but it looked fine, so I don’t see why you couldn’t do something similar to what she’s asked for?

So, she first came to me with highlighted hair, base colour was an 8-ish, not sure exactly what was on it though. We then did a full head tint with an 8/96 (off the top of my head). Then we did the 55/65+8/0 highlights, then as an all over colour. She seems to change her colour quite often - lucky it's short!
I would probably highlight the longer hair, on top and crown paint on a darker root using something like 55/66 and back and sides leave the mid lengths and ends the colour they are. Tone the highlights appropriately.

I have a pixie cut (similar to my avatar) and have previously done on myself an ombré/root stretch with dark purple roots and pale pinky lilac tips. Sorry, I don’t have any photos but it looked fine, so I don’t see why you couldn’t do something similar to what she’s asked for?
Could I ask, how would you do that please? Her hair is only a couple of inches long (I think it looks longer in the photo - it's very thick), and I'm struggling to come up with a method. I've never done much more than a tint or cap highlights on such short hair.

I would probably highlight the longer hair, on top and crown paint on a darker root using something like 55/66 and back and sides leave the mid lengths and ends the colour they are. Tone the highlights appropriately.
Would you do the root area whilst the bleach highlights are taking? And would you slice or weave the highlights? Quite fine highlights? Sorry for all the questions - I'm trying to get it straight in my head before I start!

Option 1. Do a root re-touch first then after rinsing, I’d tip the ends with bleach to lift out any existing colour and tone with your paler pinky mix.
Option 2. With that shape of hairstyle, you could also do slices of colour by taking diagonal sections with bleach foils and re-touch the roots in between and after rinsing, tone with your desired pale pinky lilac. You’d end up with a circular halo of pinky highlights.

266F6856-8312-4C8F-91DE-0A48D852E6C0.jpeg

Could I ask, how would you do that please? Her hair is only a couple of inches long (I think it looks longer in the photo - it's very thick), and I'm struggling to come up with a method. I've never done much more than a tint or cap highlights on such short hair.
I would foil it, the second suggestion that @AcidPerm made is almost exactly what I was thinking. You could cap highlight it but it would get more complicated. You'd have to deepen the root first,process. Then highlight it, process and then tone.

Option 1. Do a root re-touch first then after rinsing, I’d tip the ends with bleach to lift out any existing colour and tone with your paler pinky mix.
Option 2. With that shape of hairstyle, you could also do slices of colour by taking diagonal sections with bleach foils and re-touch the roots in between and after rinsing, tone with your desired pale pinky lilac. You’d end up with a circular halo of pinky highlights.

View attachment 209736
Thanks for this. I had thought of diagonal slices too, but it's not something I've ever done, so was looking for a bit of backup really, to make sure I wasn't about to do something daft. I love the pale pink idea - I'm going to put that to her.

I would foil it, the second suggestion that @AcidPerm made is almost exactly what I was thinking. You could cap highlight it but it would get more complicated. You'd have to deepen the root first,process. Then highlight it, process and then tone.
Brilliant, thanks. I'm not sure she'd actually need the roots doing as she'll have almost no regrowth (was only done just over a week ago), but, as she's sent me an ombre/balayage picture, I'll put that to her too. I'm quite excited about doing it now!

Thanks both for your help, as always :)

Thanks for this. I had thought of diagonal slices too, but it's not something I've ever done, so was looking for a bit of backup really, to make sure I wasn't about to do something daft. I love the pale pink idea - I'm going to put that to her.

Brilliant, thanks. I'm not sure she'd actually need the roots doing as she'll have almost no regrowth (was only done just over a week ago), but, as she's sent me an ombre/balayage picture, I'll put that to her too. I'm quite excited about doing it now!

Thanks both for your help, as always :)
Whatevr you decide, let us know how it goes, I'd love to see an after picture.

Latest posts

Back