Crisis of confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helencowleard

Reaction score
Im doubting myself at the mo. I feel alot of clients ive been using Shellac/Brisa Lite smoothing gel on are experiencing problems with their nails. They've become dry & brittle. Ive done the Shellac brings'em back training. I follow all procedures & aftercare. Ive lost a couple of clients. Ive been using IBX for quite a few. Some have results but not as much as id hoped for. One has said her nails are worse & wont have it again after 6 treatments :(
Im really concerned that long term use is affecting peoples nails & Im not good enough. Do others experience this with their clients? Whats going on? I find removal a nightmare even though I apply thinly as trained & remove correctly. Im worried I will loose potential long term clients as theyre loosing faith in the fact this should not damage their nails. I love CND & IBX & now I feel a bit worried??? Help......

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

You shouldn't always blame yourself and think it's your fault that their nails are not so good. For instance, thinking realistically how good were their nails before they came? have they been using their solar oil and taking care of their nails? Do they pick or peel their Shellac off? It's a partnership and both parties must take responsibility for the health of the nails.

I've found that IBX is really helping myself and clients but again they must understand there are limits and aftercare needs to be followed plus it doesn't always work immediately. The only thing I've found is that nourishing remover doesn't really work well to get the shellac off I now put a drip of Solar oil before wrapping in foil with acetone.

Keep you chin up and don't think your to blame for other people's issues.

Karaxxx

Shellac removes in 10 mins,whats your process? Ive not had any issues with nails becoming worse,are you applying solar oil after and advising clients to use it to? How are you removing?

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Lisa, I wrap the nail using cotton pad & CND norishing remover & foil. But I find its not removing fully. Residue left behind. A lot of ppl on another thread have discussed the same prob. Yes I always apply Solar oil after my treatments & all clients buy it. They have aftercare sheets & all my well known client do use the Solar oil lots. I just dont know whats going on? Im worried im affecting their nails :( if it was one or two ppl I would be worried but it seems most ppl are seeing their nails deteriorate. Why??

It's only natural to have worries and concerns about the health of your business and the loyalty of your clients, especially if you have had some clients experiencing problems with their nails.
From what you say it really sounds as if you are doing everything right, but if you have clients with damage there must be something causing it, and I don't mean just blame your self. It's too easy to say, 'I'm just not good enough' when at a loss for the cause of a problem, but there must be a reason and if you can find it, you'll have the problem cracked and your confidence will soar :)

Some potentially common reasons for nail damage when wearing CND Shellac and/or Brisa Lite:

- Are your clients using SolarOil EVERY day?
I can't stress this enough, this is the single most important piece of aftercare. Yes it would be great if they wore gloves washing up and didn't touch neat bleach but these things are NO WHERE NEAR as important as daily use of SolarOil.
- Is it always you who removes the product?
If I have a client who removes their own product more than 3 times I refuse to re-book them. CND Shellac and Brisa Lite are designed to anchor and stay stuck, if they are removed by force the natural nail will become damaged. I'd say if they are removed at all by a non pro (even if you/they think they are doing it right) their nails will become damaged.

Long term use should make clients nails IMPROVE not make them worse, if they are getting worse instead of better something is not right. In my experience it's almost always down to improper removal and lack of SolarOil. Dehydration causes lifting and lifting leads to picking - daily use of SolarOil prevents this from happening in the first place.

Running your own business is not easy, it can be heartbreaking at times, but the rewards when it goes right are so so worth it. Don't be too hard on yourself, you will find the answer! Of course you are not the only person to feel this way, but don't loose faith, enforcing proper aftercare is key.

You shouldn't always blame yourself and think it's your fault that their nails are not so good. For instance, thinking realistically how good were their nails before they came? have they been using their solar oil and taking care of their nails? Do they pick or peel their Shellac off? It's a partnership and both parties must take responsibility for the health of the nails.

I've found that IBX is really helping myself and clients but again they must understand there are limits and aftercare needs to be followed plus it doesn't always work immediately. The only thing I've found is that nourishing remover doesn't really work well to get the shellac off I now put a drip of Solar oil before wrapping in foil with acetone.

Keep you chin up and don't think your to blame for other people's issues.

Karaxxx

Thanks Kara. Im just questioning myself & what im doing. Removal is a nightmare :( x

Sorry you're feeling worried :hug:

When you say 'a lot' of clients - how many really have had dry and brittle nails? Do you know for sure that the clients you lost have stopped because they are not happy with the service? As already mentioned, do you know if those clients who claim to have brittle nails are using SolarOil?
And why do you not think you are good enough? How about the clients that are happy with your service - what would they say? xx

Sorry you're feeling worried :hug:

When you say 'a lot' of clients - how many really have had dry and brittle nails? Do you know for sure that the clients you lost have stopped because they are not happy with the service? As already mentioned, do you know if those clients who claim to have brittle nails are using SolarOil?
And why do you not think you are good enough? How about the clients that are happy with your service - what would they say? xx

Almost all. None of them had perfect nails before Shellac but feel its prob made them worse. All my clients have praised my service but I just dont know how good my work/finish is. Im (like many) a perfectionist & over analyse. Loosing a few clients has knocked me a lot :( Can you wear CND Shellac long term without any damage? Im questioning it now myself??

Just read this & thought it was quite apt!!!

Attachments

• 1398027119951.jpg
    1398027119951.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 174
I've worn shellac since it first came out (May 2010) and my nails are amazing when I have shellac and IBX on but before IBX when I used to take the shellac off and leave it off for any length of time they'd revert to their former crappiness! Since IBX they have improved so much and the amount time I get out of my shellac now it great.

My mums nails are the flakiest I've ever come across and since we've used IBX (5 times) they are really improving but it's only really since the last application so it's taken a while.

HTH

Karaxxx

I dont use the nourisher, ive read alot of techs are stating the same,dosnt remove easily,i always use acetone,pop solar oil on,than nail prep, your doing everything correctly so yes i would say its clients, i have clients who had bitten down nails, who now have long nails that are strong that i file down everytime, keep on it, its just a bad patch, your educator should be able to support you too.

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you lovely ladies. Your support & advice is invaluable. I may contact my educator to ask for some advice to ease my mind that its not me & everything is being done correctly (im sure I am but it would be good to check) especially removal issues x

Do you know if your clients are having a Shellac treatment done elsewhere now? Or have they opted for another brand gel? Is it the Shellac that they have lost faith in?

I'm surprised to hear that someone advised the clients not to remove it themselves. I thought CND sold remover packs and I remember reading that some CND geeks ask their clients to come with it removed so that they can fit in more clients.

One of my new clients has had gelish a few times and it was no problem to remove. She came in last Friday having been on holiday for 10 days and on removal, the thumb and forefinger of one hand would hardly budge where the other fingers just slid off. Cant explain it, weird. She must be doing something with these two fingers to cause this but I cant think what.

Don't lose faith. There will be a solution.

In my experience VERY few clients use the solar oil daily.
It makes so much difference if they do. I could count on one hand the ones I believe.

Almost all. None of them had perfect nails before Shellac but feel its prob made them worse. All my clients have praised my service but I just dont know how good my work/finish is. Im (like many) a perfectionist & over analyse. Loosing a few clients has knocked me a lot :( Can you wear CND Shellac long term without any damage? Im questioning it now myself??

Being a perfectionist is a good thing, but it can also make us too self-critical!
Look at what is in your direct control, how you perform your services and the aftercare advice you give. I think many of us go through this, and I have also questioned it at times, but then there are so many variables outside your control (clients not using oil, change in their health/diet. doing DIY, crashing about on keyboards etc). If you really feel like you're in a confidence crisis, contact your EA and get the reassurance you need.

Don't loose heart, and try not to let this dent your confidence x

I know its Easter Sunday & I not expecting a reply until well into next week but ive emailed my Ambassador who I trained with to see if I can have a 1 2 1 with her to sort out the problems im experiencing. Ive invested too much (time, money & emotionally) to give up. If others arent having these problems then why am I???

It's only natural to have worries and concerns about the health of your business and the loyalty of your clients, especially if you have had some clients experiencing problems with their nails.
From what you say it really sounds as if you are doing everything right, but if you have clients with damage there must be something causing it, and I don't mean just blame your self. It's too easy to say, 'I'm just not good enough' when at a loss for the cause of a problem, but there must be a reason and if you can find it, you'll have the problem cracked and your confidence will soar :)

Some potentially common reasons for nail damage when wearing CND Shellac and/or Brisa Lite:

- Are your clients using SolarOil EVERY day?
I can't stress this enough, this is the single most important piece of aftercare. Yes it would be great if they wore gloves washing up and didn't touch neat bleach but these things are NO WHERE NEAR as important as daily use of SolarOil.
- Is it always you who removes the product?
If I have a client who removes their own product more than 3 times I refuse to re-book them. CND Shellac and Brisa Lite are designed to anchor and stay stuck, if they are removed by force the natural nail will become damaged. I'd say if they are removed at all by a non pro (even if you/they think they are doing it right) their nails will become damaged.

Long term use should make clients nails IMPROVE not make them worse, if they are getting worse instead of better something is not right. In my experience it's almost always down to improper removal and lack of SolarOil. Dehydration causes lifting and lifting leads to picking - daily use of SolarOil prevents this from happening in the first place.

Running your own business is not easy, it can be heartbreaking at times, but the rewards when it goes right are so so worth it. Don't be too hard on yourself, you will find the answer! Of course you are not the only person to feel this way, but don't loose faith, enforcing proper aftercare is key.

Ive contacted my ambassador to get a 1 2 1. My clients have an aftercare sheet which Geeg sent me. Ive tweeked it for my own business. Even clients which I know are using solaroil everyday are experiencing dryness/breaking. Yes, there are some clients I KNOW arent following the aftercare & this I know is causing the problems but the others I just dont understand :( x

I'm surprised to hear that someone advised the clients not to remove it themselves. I thought CND sold remover packs and I remember reading that some CND geeks ask their clients to come with it removed so that they can fit in more clients.

CND have never produced 'do it yourself' remover packs and have always recommended professional removal of CND Shellac. However, in reality there can be situations where the client can not return to the professional for removal (airport salons, resort spas, cruise ship, etc) so a decent home removal solution was required - Sweet Squared created the 'remove tube' for just this reason and it's very handy in those specific circumstances.

If geeks are telling clients to remove at home so they can fit in more clients I believe that to be counter-intuitive, the majority of clients will pick off their coating (even if you send them away with all the right stuff) and their nails will get progressively worse. Like I said, if a client persist with home removal I will not continue to service that client, I'd rather have that space in my appointment book for a client who will follow my professional advice, have great nails that keep getting better and be a good advert for my business.

Ive contacted my ambassador to get a 1 2 1. My clients have an aftercare sheet which Geeg sent me. Ive tweeked it for my own business. Even clients which I know are using solaroil everyday are experiencing dryness/breaking. Yes, there are some clients I KNOW arent following the aftercare & this I know is causing the problems but the others I just dont understand :( x

That's a great plan, good for you. Perhaps take along a model who has been wearing CND Shellac for 2 weeks so you can perform the removal as you would normally for your CND EA to see, and continue with an application.

Can you wear CND Shellac long term without any damage? I'm questioning it now myself!
ABSOLUTELY you can, and many do. The whole point of a client coming for CND Shellac is for beautiful nails that are PROTECTED and can improve in condition as a result.

Removal is a nightmare :(
Removal should be easy and fullproof, if it's a nightmare there is definitely something wrong that can be changed to solve these problems that are getting you down! Going for some one to one should get this sorted.

Good luck!

CND have never produced 'do it yourself' remover packs and have always recommended professional removal of CND Shellac. However, in reality there can be situations where the client can not return to the professional for removal (airport salons, resort spas, cruise ship, etc) so a decent home removal solution was required - Sweet Squared created the 'remove tube' for just this reason and it's very handy in those specific circumstances.

If geeks are telling clients to remove at home so they can fit in more clients I believe that to be counter-intuitive, the majority of clients will pick off their coating (even if you send them away with all the right stuff) and their nails will get progressively worse. Like I said, if a client persist with home removal I will not continue to service that client, I'd rather have that space in my appointment book for a client who will follow my professional advice, have great nails that keep getting better and be a good advert for my business.

Thanks for the clarification Wee Fee. I do often get CND and S2 mixed up, sorry.

Latest posts

Back