Crossing over to the otherside :P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hey nail geeks!

This is new territory for me as I'm normally over in the hair geeks forums but after a very long time I am now ready to finally get myself booked onto a nail course and I am SO excited!!! :D

I've wanted to do this for so long and now finally Im doing it.
I've picked out a course, it seems quite reasonable I think.Next Step Beauty College - Nail Courses - Beauty Course - Nail course - Beauty Courses - Norwich - London - Manchester - Birmingham - Bristol its with this site, its a 5 day course for £395 + vat. Its an initial 4 days then a review day about 6 weeks later.

You don't need to buy all the kit frost to attend the course, they provide it for you and you practice on one another in the class. Out of all the ones I've looked at previously it does seem to be pretty good.

Just one question though, it has an option at the end wether I want to buy the kit, the choices range from individual eg, manicure nit, gel kit etc or an all in one kit for £292ish. They say once you buy this you wont need to buy anything else, obviously from products, the question being is this the best option or will it be cheaper to buy everything individually?

Also once I'm trained I'm not sure what or how many products i'll need to buy, how many polishes do you buy once starting up? Also the pricing and where to buy my stock will need some research.

Any advice from you guys would be great as I am absolutely clueless, all I know is im so excited to get stuck into this in the new year! :)

Good luck with your course. It is probably best to have a real good read of the nail forum (past posts) to get a feel of what sort of products are best. That will give you an idea of what products you would like to do.

xx

How exciting!

Would you be able to post up a list of products in the kits and maybe we can all pick at it for stuff you don't need?

They always tend to put every single product in that you need but as u adapt might not need.

About the polishes, that's for you to decide. I'd say go with opi because I love them lol and get maybe 12-15 colours that are the most popular (there's a thread for this somewhere) and start with those :) hth x

Thank you ladies!!! I am so excited :)

Yes I'll have a look through all of the previous posts going to put a side one evening next week to go through everything. Its going to be time consuming as I have no clue about any of the products but totally worth it!

I'll copy and paste the contents of the kit its from the all in one kit as im guessing it'll be more cost worthy to get this one than one of the other kits like just the manicure kit etc. Oh and once im trained and confident i'llbe doing this as a mobile alongside with my hair so just looking at the sizes it looks ideal for that...

Again any opinions, advice welcome :)

Complete Nail Technicians Kit
This complete nail technicians kit provides you with everything you need to enable you to work on your clients. It includes our manicure, fiberglass, gel and acrylic nail kits in one complete kit.

Whats included in the complete nail technicians kit:
1 x SS Profile Nail/File Antiseptic Spray 250ml
1 x SS Hand Invigorating Salt Scrub 150ml
1 x SS Hand Renewal Age Control Mask 150ml
1 x SS Hand Soak Gel Wash 250ml
1 x SS Hand Replenish Moisture Lotion 250ml
1 x SS Hand Cuticle Remover Cream 50ml
1 x SS Hand Cuticle Massage Cream 50ml
1 x SS Hand Sanitise Gel 250ml
1 x SS Polish Remover Formula 2 125ml
1 x Rubber Ended Hoof Stick
1 x Stainless Steel Cuticle Knife
1 x Cuticle Nipper
1 x Tip Cutters
1 x Stork Scissors
1 x Dual Tool
1 x Tweezer Straight
1 x Orangewood Sticks 20pk
1 x Acetone Resistant Manicure Bowl
1 x Economy Nail Wipes 200pk
1 x EDGE Black Beauty File 240/240gt SINGLE
3 x EDGE SINGLE White Sanding Block
3 x SPECIAL Zebra Curved File 180/180gt – SINGLE
1 x Barbicide Manicure Jar (3″ high)
1 x Barbicide 473ml
1 x SN Base Coat ORIGINAL 14ml
1 x SN Quick Dry Top Coat ORIGINAL 14ml
1 x Attitude Red Polish
1 x Attitude Strawberry CREAM Polish
1 x Attitude White Polish
1 x C Ultrawear Tips Masterpack 360pk
1 x SN Instant Nail Glue 14gm
1 x EDGE Fibreglass/Silk Resin 28g
1 x EDGE Extender Nozzles 10pk
1 x EDGE Resin Activator Spray 50ml
1 x EDGE Fibreglass Strip (18″)
1 x EDGE Silk Strip (18″)
1 x EDGE Acetone 250ml
1 x C Non Acid Primer 10ml
1 x CP Pronto Soak Off Pink & White Gel Kit
1 x C Flat Nylon Gel Brush
1 x EDGE UV Gel Curing Lamp 36 Watt Pink
1 x NSI Attraction Sample Kit
1 x EDGE No. 8 Kolinsky Sable Round Brush
1 x Plastic Dappen Dish
1 x Plastic Dappen Dish
1 x Glass Dappen Dish – Economy
1 x EDGE 3 Way Satin Buffer Large SINGLE

Total Complete Nail Technicians Kit Costs JUST £350 BUY NOW

—

Hi hun, I don't mean to put a downer on things but in my opinion learning manicure, fibreglass & silk, gel and acrylic is far too much for just a 4 day course.
Rhiannon x

It sounds like a good kit, however I used edge nails when I started as it was cheap and I must say it wasn't brill, I had to swap so spend more on a good kit. There are a few people who have spoke about edge nails maybe have a look. You get what you pay for.

I learnt acrylics in a day course. It was very good but it took months of practice to make perfect x

I agree with Rhiannon - it won't give you enough time to get things right, or more importantly get things wrong and then learn to fix them. If you do a search on here you'll probably find out why.
I love your enthusiasm but unfortunately you won't reap any rewards for doing annything on the cheap!

xx

I do understand that but I was thinking of getting the basics and then practising on friends and family until I felt confident. I have always agreed about these short courses but whats the alternative with very little money, time when you want to do something so bad?
I've always learnt by being thrown in at the deep end and like I said I wouldn't dream of going straight out there and doing this on proper paying clients!!

I understand there is a lot to learn but I cant think of any other alternative in my situation except give up until I have a tone more money and time which isn't going to happen.....Any advice?

HollyGold as you've done a day course what is your honest feed back on it? Would you suggest not to do these courses or to go for it and practise like mad?

Hey you will be fine. As long as you are prepared to work really hard on your own to learn for yourself after the course and do a lot of practicing you will get there. Its all down to your motivation and it sounds like you are very motivated. But it will be very hard work.

Go for it girl and do well!!

xx

I do understand that but I was thinking of getting the basics and then practising on friends and family until I felt confident. I have always agreed about these short courses but whats the alternative with very little money, time when you want to do something so bad?
I've always learnt by being thrown in at the deep end and like I said I wouldn't dream of going straight out there and doing this on proper paying clients!!

I understand there is a lot to learn but I cant think of any other alternative in my situation except give up until I have a tone more money and time which isn't going to happen.....Any advice?

HollyGold as you've done a day course what is your honest feed back on it? Would you suggest not to do these courses or to go for it and practise like mad?

I completely understand the money situation.

I started my enhancement training with a tip and dip one day class (I had already attended college and qualified in manicures and pedicures), I then did a 2 day l&p course a couple of years later so I'm speaking from experience hun, and trying to help as I don't wish anyone to go through all the heartache and disappointment I went through.

I was really struggling and couldn't work out why I was getting lifting etc as I was following the steps as I was taught. I was so disheartened! From the advice of the geeks I ordered a trial kit from CND and could tell the difference straight away! I have since done the conversion course which was amazing and I'm now producing lovely nails (albeit not perfect yet). I wish I hadn't wasted my money on these 2 previous courses and gone straight to CND. The difference in training quality was huge.

My advice would be to do manicure and maybe pick one enhancement to study.

I hope you can understand that I'm speaking from experience honey :) I wish you luck with whatever you choose but as Gigi would say 'pay cheap, pay twice' as that's exactly what happened to me.
Rhiannon x

Those products in the kit are quite low quality I have never tried edge but a few threads on here have said its not great. I have however tried salon services when I first started and found it not great I switched to NSI and saw the difference straight away.

I am thinking of converting to CND in the future. Have a look on here Nd choose your products yourself I think you may regret buying that kit. Hope that helps x

Hi ladies, sorry for the late response, busy time lol

Thank you to all of you for your input. I really do appreciate the advice and I'm grateful you've passed on troubles from your own experiences. Rhiannon, thanks chick, I do understand what your saying and I am thinking twice about it now. I mean I am very motivated and feel I could learn myself quite well after, Im a bit of a freak like that, was same in my hairdressing training, I'd practise one technique for hours at night after work and perfected it. But on the other hand you speak from experience so I'm taking that into account. I think i will look at CND courses and many do as u suggest...Its so frustrating when you want to get on so bad but then I want to do it properly and do a good job.

Thank you al again for your advice...Im going to have a good long think about this one and I'll get back to you let you know what I decide :) xxxxx

Latest posts

Back