Cruelty free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harmony14

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm hoping I can get a few different brand choices. I live in the U.S. And I've been using Redken and Matrix color and products for the past year. I just found out they are not actually cruelty free and that they do test on animals or use ingredients that have been.

I did some searching and I found that Paul Mitchell and Scruples products are cruelty free but those are the only professional lines I can find. Does anyone know of any other brands that are I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Can't recommend Scruples high enough :)

Thank you! I will take a deeper look into those. Do they have styling products as well? [emoji16]

Not a hair geek but i know joico is cruelty free

Affinage were, and I've not heard otherwise.

Scruples do products too but I prefer Joico products, their range is brilliant [emoji106] just my personal opinion though but I'd never switch from Scruples and Joico :)

How strict are you? Do you avoid cruelty free companies if their parent company tests on animals?

If so, Fudge are owned by Cussons and I'm pretty sure they still test as they sell in China.

Joico are not cruelty free because they sell in china where testing is still mandatory.

Thanks for all the responses [emoji16]. I have been away from hair for awhile and in the process of starting up doing mobile so since I am able to pick out the line I use I would like to choose one that is 100% cruelty free. I have been really loving Matrix so I'm really bummed about it [emoji17]. Is Paul Mitchell the only one that is 100% cruelty free?

I can't seem to find it but is Schwarzkopf cruelty free?

You can only be completely sure a company doesn't test on animals if they have the cruelty free emblem. Such as paul mitchell.

Thanks I downloaded Bunny Free and it shows the parent company as well. It's hard to believe that so many companies are still doing it [emoji17] thanks again [emoji16]

Fudge are 100% against animal testing and are in PETRA , pz dont test either.
Sorry but pz are not cruelty free as they sell in China.

Actually it states on joicos website that it does not test on animals and uses human volunteers to test which is supervised by a doctor. Also if you google in joico china the first result is joicos anti division page and even after going through ten pages of google there is nothing there to confirm they sell in china. On their website it gives us and canada, brazil and europe. There is no mention of china what so ever. They also ensure their packaging is eco friendly and if i remember correctly wind is used to produce the packaging so hardly the moves of a company that test on animals. They may have sone before but they mist certainly dont know. Also going from memory they are the only company that use human hair in their kpak protein range as the rest use sheeps wool.

Forgot to add that it is such a pain that so many pro hair brands are owned by the likes of loreal and test in animals that its hard to find good stuff, could be a reason why clients dont purchase salon products? I do want to try fudge and paul mitchell although fudge does appear a bit funky and more for those with trendy hairstyles as where i like mine sleek and shiney with volume, could be wrong though

Just looked through this. The Body Shop test on animals?! What the?!

I take it back!! They don't. Their parent company does!

Actually it states on joicos website that it does not test on animals and uses human volunteers to test which is supervised by a doctor. Also if you google in joico china the first result is joicos anti division page and even after going through ten pages of google there is nothing there to confirm they sell in china. On their website it gives us and canada, brazil and europe. There is no mention of china what so ever. They also ensure their packaging is eco friendly and if i remember correctly wind is used to produce the packaging so hardly the moves of a company that test on animals. They may have sone before but they mist certainly dont know. Also going from memory they are the only company that use human hair in their kpak protein range as the rest use sheeps wool.
Hmmm this one is confusing, because I'm not sure they do test either. But Joico's website says "Joico Laboratories does not use animal tests to confirm the safety of Joico products except when absolutely required by law" The required by law bit is usually what companies say when they sell in markets where testing is mandatory.

So after a bit more googling I see that it's very likely because they are owned by Shiseido who animal test, so this must be the blanket testing statement for all their brands. So again, it's a case of if parent companies bother you, avoid. If not, and you're happy they don't test, crack on :) I'd probably write to them for further clarification though.

Hey salj. I have messaged them on fb so waiting for a response. I can see they dont sell in china but have asked just in case. Shiseido also own bare minerals and they can confirm 100% they dont test which is good but shisheido are the only parent company that supports animal testing. This is what really gets my goat as if these companies are so ethical why are they selling to the devil? Pees me right off!!! Sorry rant over

Awesome let us know what they say:)

Latest posts

Back