Curling hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnalm

Reaction score
I have a client who has VERY long hair, it would be below her waistline. She always wants big mad curls but every time i curl it it doesnt last, we've tried ghd curls, wand and also setting the hair but every time the curl drops. The only thing i can tell her is that her hair is too log and heavy to hold the curl.
Is there any way of curling it without it dropping?

I think you're right that realistically she's going to struggle if it's particularly long and heavy.
How long does the curl actually last for?
Has it got a natural slight wave or is it very straight?
When you curl it, do you leave it at least thirty minutes after it's cooled and use the right prep products?
Are you using your fingers to separate it out rather than a brush?

You could try perming it on medium rollers to give it some texture.

I think you're right that realistically she's going to struggle if it's particularly long and heavy.
How long does the curl actually last for?
Has it got a natural slight wave or is it very straight?
When you curl it, do you leave it at least thirty minutes after it's cooled and use the right prep products?
Are you using your fingers to separate it out rather than a brush?

You could try perming it on medium rollers to give it some texture.

It doesnt last at all, shes told me about half an hour it'll last. I kept them in for about an hour after they were under heat as i done her make up as they cooled. I didnt even put my hands on the hair, as soon as i took the rollers out the curl dropped.
She has no wave in her hair at all naturally, i told her myself that the only way she would get it curled would be possibly a perm but shes only 18, i cant see her doing that.
I know myself the hair is too long but im just scared she'll come back to me complaining

It doesnt last at all, shes told me about half an hour it'll last.
I know myself the hair is too long but im just scared she'll come back to me complaining

Like many younger clients, she sees all these amazing hairstyles on TV and social media and assumes that anything is possible. You need to use the consultation as an opportunity to manage her expectations and explain how there are different hair types and they won't all hold every type of style.
You won't ever get a long lasting curly blow dry from her hair as it is currently.

One of the reasons that clients complain is because they ask for the impossible and rather than tell them how it is, some hairdressers will try to please them regardless.
The customer isn't always right!

have you tried wand and then rolling it up and pinning it? It takes 30 mins for the hair to set fulling into shape. Cooling it can help set the curl.

The other thing you could do is blowdry the curl and then finish it off with the irons. Because of the bonds broken in temporary process you have a better chance of drying a lasting shape.

You also spray hair spray on the hair before the curl. This sets a hold in shape.

Another thing that works (but I don't like because you can see a little of the shape) is crimping the hair before you curl it.

It’s a bit old school but what about bendy rollers and set with gel spray (u need to use end papers to make sure you dont get fish hooks on the ends of the hair, under the dryer for 30min then out to cool

This should work
It’s a bit old school but what about bendy rollers and set with gel spray (u need to use end papers to make sure you dont get fish hooks on the ends of the hair, under the dryer for 30min then out to cool[/QUOT

Latest posts

Back