Curly hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgel52

Reaction score
I have a new client who has natural curly hair, virgin level 7 in good condition. She wants to go a lot lighter so has asked me to do highlights. Does bleach effect the curls in any way. TIA

I have a new client who has natural curly hair, virgin level 7 in good condition. She wants to go a lot lighter so has asked me to do highlights. Does bleach effect the curls in any way. TIA

Hi, I'm not a hairdresser, but I'm a curly girl, about a 3a.

I had virgin hair up until about a year ago, when I got a balayage. I loved the colour and style straight after but after the first wash it was a nightmare. I was used to washing, detangling, bit of oil, then air dry and go. I had to completely change my routine after bleaching. If I don't blowdry my hair straight, my hair gets so tangly and matted and is almost impossible to detangle. I've also noticed that my curls have relaxed a bit... like I get more of a frizzy wave, rather than nice springy coils...
My hairdresser recommended lots of masks to keep it moisturised and healthy which has really helped.

I've had it topped up twice since, I just love the colour too much, absolutely worth the extra effort

Hi, I'm not a hairdresser, but I'm a curly girl, about a 3a.

I had virgin hair up until about a year ago, when I got a balayage. I loved the colour and style straight after but after the first wash it was a nightmare. I was used to washing, detangling, bit of oil, then air dry and go. I had to completely change my routine after bleaching. If I don't blowdry my hair straight, my hair gets so tangly and matted and is almost impossible to detangle. I've also noticed that my curls have relaxed a bit... like I get more of a frizzy wave, rather than nice springy coils...
My hairdresser recommended lots of masks to keep it moisturised and healthy which has really helped.

I've had it topped up twice since, I just love the colour too much, absolutely worth the extra effort
Thanks for that 👍

If you use Olaplex in your mix and a low volume developer, it shouldn’t affect the curl too much but it will as always, depend on the starting condition of the hair.

The main issue will be that the highlighted pieces may curl differently to the hair surrounding it.

I am not a hairdresser either but I use a 2 step process when colouring my 3a-3c curly hair myself, by using Olaplex no 1 in the colour mix and Olaplex no 2 afterwards. Never had a problem with my hair after doing this. I but the 2 as a set.

If you use Olaplex in your mix and a low volume developer, it shouldn’t affect the curl too much but it will as always, depend on the starting condition of the hair.

The main issue will be that the highlighted pieces may curl differently to the hair surrounding it.
I did it today and did exactly that. I used 10 vol at the back and then 20 vol on top and sides. Also used olaplex in the mix. Thanks

Latest posts

Back