Curly perm on relaxed hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaomiP

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I had my hair relaxed on 12th December 2012, since then I've let the new growth come through as I'm trying to transition it back to curly, obviously I know that it has to grow straight then wavy before it can grow back curly but I've decided that I want to get a curly perm as my natural hair isn't as curly as I want it to be and numerous other reasons. So my question is do you think the curly perm would take on my relaxed hair? Or just the new growth? I've attached a photo of my hair this morning, that's how it is if I wash it leave it to air dry and sleep on it and also a pic of what I'm wanting to achieve. Thanks, Naomi xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378796084.498398.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378796159.699122.jpg

Hi Naomi, the other way round is more likely to work. If you had a curly perm and wanted your hair relaxed. I am not a hairdresser but I have had this done in the past. Hopefully you will get some responses from hairdressers soon! :D:

The only time I have relaxed & permed is on Afro hair. People with Afro hair need the hair softened before a perm but this is done at the same time as a perm its called a 2 step perm I have never done on already relaxed hair. Sorry I can't help.

If your hair was relaxed with a hydroxide relaxer, it's unlikely to hold a curl as the disulfide bonds are permanently broken by a hydroxide relaxer.

Besides that, if you've had a hydroxide relaxer, you cannot have a perm with a thio permanent wave, anyway. The two are incompatible, and it would likely cause extreme damage to your hair. The relaxed hair needs to grow out first.

If a thio relaxer or straightener was used on your hair, you can have a thio perm.

As a hairdresser, I would recommend you wait it out until the relaxer is completely grown out. Relaxing and perming are two very harsh chemical treatments and your hair needs extra care after these anyway.

Doing both would put a lot of strain on your hair and the likelihood is that you'll get dry and snapping hair!

I wouldn't recommend you go ahead with this process at all!

Latest posts

Back