Cutting boys hair, basic layer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nad1a

Reaction score
Hi, i am qualified and have done a barbering course however it was mostly doing clipper cuts and blending.

My son really needs a haircut, I'm not wanting to cut it short I just want to take about an inch off & tidy it up a bit as it looks a bit scruffy & shapeless (it was clipped all over before and been left to grow out).

Would a basic 90 layer cut look ok? Start with a box section then follow the shape of the head? I've done that many time so will be easy for me. He will not sit still in a salon so it's easier if I do it at home
Here's what it looks like now.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384876368.953074.jpg

Hi, i am qualified and have done a barbering course however it was mostly doing clipper cuts and blending.

My son really needs a haircut, I'm not wanting to cut it short I just want to take about an inch off & tidy it up a bit as it looks a bit scruffy & shapeless (it was clipped all over before and been left to grow out).

Would a basic 90 layer cut look ok? Start with a box section then follow the shape of the head? I've done that many time so will be easy for me. He will not sit still in a salon so it's easier if I do it at home
Here's what it looks like now.
View attachment 48398

Of course.. Just be careful with blunt cutting on baby hair. It can really show up scissor marks. Personally I like to cut baby hair with thinning scissors so you get a really soft edge & it still looks like baby hair

Of course.. Just be careful with blunt cutting on baby hair. It can really show up scissor marks. Personally I like to cut baby hair with thinning scissors so you get a really soft edge & it still looks like baby hair

Ok thank you. I did notice on YouTube people were all point cutting.
My son does have quite thick hair but I will maybe just point cut it and/or take the thinning scissors to it :).

Would you reccomend I do it wet or dry? X

I find my little boy sits better for my hairdressing friends than me when having his hair cut.

If I do it, I tend to do it a bit at a time and leave a few days in between but hopefully, you'll have more luck than me. ;-)

Ok thank you. I did notice on YouTube people were all point cutting.
My son does have quite thick hair but I will maybe just point cut it and/or take the thinning scissors to it :).

Would you reccomend I do it wet or dry? X

Definitely dry!! :) good luck! I hope he stays still long enough for you x

Definitely dry!! :) good luck! I hope he stays still long enough for you x

Thanks! Be easier dry I'd imagine anyway :)... I hope so too :o

I wouldn't follow the shape of the head... I would use a square grad technique under the horseshoe and blend through the top ;)

I'd probably just do a uniform layer cut, then texturise it.

I wouldn't follow the shape of the head... I would use a square grad technique under the horseshoe and blend through the top ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by a square graduation? :O *cringe*

Latest posts

Back