Cutting Hair Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was trained a little in cutting extensions but i think i am naturally talented in cutting as i always cut family and friends and i cut layers into the hair once i have finished the extensions if that is what they wish. Although i dont see the point in paying hundreds to get a qualification that is going to make no difference. although i would like to be taught how proffesionals do it but when i go to the hairdressers they do exactly the same.
xxx

I bet they don't!!!!:(

i was trained a little in cutting extensions but i think i am naturally talented in cutting as i always cut family and friends and i cut layers into the hair once i have finished the extensions if that is what they wish. Although i dont see the point in paying hundreds to get a qualification that is going to make no difference. although i would like to be taught how proffesionals do it but when i go to the hairdressers they do exactly the same.
xxx

Hi xgxexmx

Do you cut people's hair for a living ?

Hi xgxexmx

Do you cut people's hair for a living ?
Hi!
no i dont do it for a living i just do it for friends and family as they know that i can do it and they trust me but i dont offer it as i am not qualified
xx

I think when you have taken the time out of your day to post and contribute to this site, it's wrong of people to be rude.

I thought the whole point of this site was to help each other, not put each other down.

Persianista you have been particularly rude in some of your posts. Why do you have to be nasty to people? Do you think it's acceptable to speak to people like that?

I know your staff keep leaving you, have you ever thought it might be due to the way you speak to people? If this is anything to go by, I can understand why they keep going.

It is possible to get your point across nicely.

First post and you come to this conclusion?? Or have you been trolling the site?
I know exactly how Persianista feels. I have trained hard and regularly over the past 22 years and I never, ever, think I have learned it all. It is frustrating to have 'rookies' who have little or no training telling us how to suck eggs (or the like!). I and many other hairdressers on this forum take pride in our craft and our businesses. I have yet to come across a good set of extensions that have been applied by a non-hairdresser and as I teach hairdressers to apply extensions, I can spot a non-hairdresser trying to learn at 10 paces.

I just love the way non-hairdressers try to devalue our industry, although their mistakes is always money in my pocket when I get the pleasure of correcting them. :)

xxx

Cutting hair extensions is a completely different technique to cutting hair. I have trained, on average, 2 students a year over 22 years in hairdressing and yet to find anyone who is 'naturally' talented at cutting. I bet I could find all your mistakes without even picking up my scissors and comb.

I am definetly going to go and do my hairdressing this year, I did start two years ago but packed in after ten weeks as the tutor was a complete waste of time, the students did nothing but mess about and I was totally frustrated with the whole situation, after a long conversation with tutor and asking her basically to get students in line and to stop students from messing around I think it fell on deaf ears and I felt like I was attending two evenings a week for nothing. I couldnt have put up with that for any longer. I an a quick learner and dont like my time to be wasted, if I pay for a course I expect value for money and to get things done. The class was far too large and the tutor found it difficult to get the class under control, I on many occasions found myself having to tell the class to be quiet.

I am going back to a different college this time and hope that its not the same.

It's such a shame you had a bad experience at college. Unfortunately, I hear this frequently. Good for you for attempting it again and adding to your current skills. You will find it very beneficial when working with extensions to have a greater understanding of hair.

I hope you dont all get annoyed when the 'nail chick' has to put her 2 pence in, but the more I read the Hair Geek posts - the more I realise what parallel industries we have!!

I agree with Donna and I feel the irritation and pain from the other 'professionals' on here.

Those of you claiming to be great because you have watched pros at work or 'family have told you so' - are family hair pro's? Do they know what a good cut should look like - more likely they would love it anyway because they love you? That still doesn't make it a good job! You must realise that it is almost a slap in the face to the pros who have worked long and hard at their vocation.

Every week the Creative Academy in Leeds trains absolute beginners in how to apply 'beautiful, thin, natural looking nail enhancements'... what we can't give our students is expereince. That comes over time.

Many students say 'well I had my nails done for years and it looked so easy'... and then they are amazed at what must be covered knowledge wise - wow you dont just slap it on - there actually is a science behind this!! But when they get to hands-on and try to do a smile line... ;) suddenly - it's not so easy!!! Suddenly, these newbies who thought it would be easy... have a new found respect for their nail-pro who carefully and beautifully attended their nails all those years. :o

Education in anything... is key. Knowledge is power - stop being afraid and do it right.... from the start!!!;)

this thread just makes me sad.

sad because those of you who think they can cut as well as anyone who has done a recognised qualification. do you know why you cut curly hair different from straight? why sometimes we point cut and sometimes club cut? why we sometimes use thinning scissors and sometimes use a razor and sometimes our scissors? you are cheating yourselves. if you spent a little on training, you would make it back again tenfold with your fabulous new skills.

i love my job so much, i love to train cos it gets me doing more of my work, im so passionate about it. I dont see much passion in trying to cut your families hair cos you watched your hairdresser and it "looks" like you do the same thing.

in response to the OP...try to find some cutting courses or call your training provider to see if they can help. xxx

I hope you dont all get annoyed when the 'nail chick' has to put her 2 pence in, but the more I read the Hair Geek posts - the more I realise what parallel industries we have!!

I agree with Donna and I feel the irritation and pain from the other 'professionals' on here.

Those of you claiming to be great because you have watched pros at work or 'family have told you so' - are family hair pro's? Do they know what a good cut should look like - more likely they would love it anyway because they love you? That still doesn't make it a good job! You must realise that it is almost a slap in the face to the pros who have worked long and hard at their vocation.

Every week the Creative Academy in Leeds trains absolute beginners in how to apply 'beautiful, thin, natural looking nail enhancements'... what we can't give our students is expereince. That comes over time.

Many students say 'well I had my nails done for years and it looked so easy'... and then they are amazed at what must be covered knowledge wise - wow you dont just slap it on - there actually is a science behind this!! But when they get to hands-on and try to do a smile line... ;) suddenly - it's not so easy!!! Suddenly, these newbies who thought it would be easy... have a new found respect for their nail-pro who carefully and beautifully attended their nails all those years. :o

Education in anything... is key. Knowledge is power - stop being afraid and do it right.... from the start!!!;)

Thank you. I just never understand eagerness for cutting corners.

I am currently doing a nail course. I have had nail enhancements for years and the nail tech makes it look so easy. It bloody isn't!

Of course, us hairdressers make cutting look effortless, we have perfected it. You just didn't see the countless tantrums while we learnt our skill!

Thanks Kim, I like the way you put your point across and thanks for the advice on the original question I asked. I have looked at local colleges today online whilst on my lunch to see what hair dressing courses they offer part time as I work full time in the day...I noticed that Chesterfield College do an access to hair dressing course which starts right at the bottom with the very basics and feel this would be a useful starting point for me. I did notice that a lot ask for you to do a day a week in a salon as experience which I wouldn't be able to do at the moment because of work commitments which kind of stops me in my tracks, can you do NVQ's without having to do a work placement?? I might ring the college tomorrow!

I am so determined to keep training and am constantly looking online at new course information, I eventually want to leave my full time job in an office to persue this, however, I have a good few years to go before I can afford to leave full time work which is soooo frustrating!

After I did my training I did feel a little overwhelmed and scared as it was so quick, i really didn't feel it was worth the money paid, I would never try to make out I know everything there is to know because I've found that this is a massive learning curve and a very enjoyable one at that!

just explain if you call the colleges your situation, as cutting extensions can be different to cutting actual hair, they should be able to advise you.

its a shame but its your initial course that has let you down. x

just explain if you call the colleges your situation, as cutting extensions can be different to cutting actual hair, they should be able to advise you.

its a shame but its your initial course that has let you down. x

It has let me down you're right! I think it is far too quick to pick up such a fiddly procedure which takes ages to perfect on a 2 day "intensive" course.....intense it most certainly wasn't!

this thread just makes me sad.

sad because those of you who think they can cut as well as anyone who has done a recognised qualification. do you know why you cut curly hair different from straight? why sometimes we point cut and sometimes club cut? why we sometimes use thinning scissors and sometimes use a razor and sometimes our scissors? you are cheating yourselves. if you spent a little on training, you would make it back again tenfold with your fabulous new skills.

here here!!
its bugging me reading this now,
Persianista is totally right, after 9 years of hairdressing i'd say the last few i have totally completly understood the complexness of a good cut,,
the way we just know what angle to be at for how we want it to sit! ect...
i have recently learned extensions and am struggling myself with the cutting blending at times so god only knows how non hairdressers get on,
which brings me to my next point,
i replied to a post the other day on here about whether the hair was long enough for extensions, and my answer was to do a long version of the grad bob and blend blend blend,,,
i then got askes how a non hairdresser would do that;)
my reply........... i wouldn't do it if i didn't know what i was doing,
after 3 years at college, and many many £'s and courses later i value my knowledge and ablity and its a little frustrating when our trade gets undermined as 'easy'

phewwwww rant over

Thanks Kim, I like the way you put your point across and thanks for the advice on the original question I asked. I have looked at local colleges today online whilst on my lunch to see what hair dressing courses they offer part time as I work full time in the day...I noticed that Chesterfield College do an access to hair dressing course which starts right at the bottom with the very basics and feel this would be a useful starting point for me. I did notice that a lot ask for you to do a day a week in a salon as experience which I wouldn't be able to do at the moment because of work commitments which kind of stops me in my tracks, can you do NVQ's without having to do a work placement?? I might ring the college tomorrow!

I am so determined to keep training and am constantly looking online at new course information, I eventually want to leave my full time job in an office to persue this, however, I have a good few years to go before I can afford to leave full time work which is soooo frustrating!

After I did my training I did feel a little overwhelmed and scared as it was so quick, i really didn't feel it was worth the money paid, I would never try to make out I know everything there is to know because I've found that this is a massive learning curve and a very enjoyable one at that!

I know colleges up here offer NVQ Level 2 as an evening course, not sure about colleges in your area but maybe they might offer something similar. Best of luck with it as it will be worth in the end.

Mrs Geek may shoot me down for this but ages ago I couldn't get an appointment at the place I usually go for my nails so I stupidly took myself off to Boots for DIY kit (yes I know ! I am hanging my head in shame as I type lol) I figured I would have some lovely nail extensions in next to no time - what a bloody mess I made ! I got the stuff EVERYWHERE and about four hours later my messy job was complete only for them to ping off within hours. Needless to say I learned from this experiance and will always wait patiently for a nail appointment no matter how fully booked they are :D

at the end of the day, as a client i wouldnt be happy recieving a treatment whic can have disasterous effects if it went wrong, from someone who has only ever had 2 days training in hair. my personal opinion.

at least now you can go on, my advice would be complete level 2 in hairdressing at least, you can then confidently offer a cutting service to your clients.

Its like these people who go on one day nail courses. would you be happy letting them near you with an efile? No.

Good luck to you, at least you are looking to improve your skills, unlike some prevoius posters who think to watch their pals make them as good as any of the highly experienced hairdressers on here.

just to let u all now i am not claiming to be a profesional at cutting that is exactly why i do not do it. i am looking at doing a cutting course along with my extensions as i think it would help me alot . but at the moment it is difficult to find one in my area and one that i can afford. i have never had any complaints and quite the oppposite. Just u have all been so helpful to me before and now feel bit let down by all of the "...." going on . Shouldnt we all be helping each other?
and also i look up to you for being profesionals for so many years and hopefuly in a few years that will be me :D
and kimi i never suggested i was as good as any of the profesionals like you. i have only been doing hair for a few months and that is the last thing i can suggest

xxx

you said earlier you didnt see the point in spending money on something that wont make a difference? Im not an argumentative person but people on here are trying to help you by saying you should train professionally for your own good. X

I spent ages online looking at courses and saw so many that said you didn't have to be a hairdresser and I suppose you read it enough times you start to believe it is ok and is the norm!! I fitted a full head last Friday to a client who is a hairdresser, I explained I couldn't cut layers I could only razor them in, to my complete amazement she said she'd teach me.......I kind of just smiled and nodded, thinking no thanks, i'll go on a proper course at a college!

you said earlier you didnt see the point in spending money on something that wont make a difference? Im not an argumentative person but people on here are trying to help you by saying you should train professionally for your own good. X
yea i know what you mean i have said eventually i will do a course but like the last post said it is difficult as i have so much hair extensions going on at the moment and im a student. i just felt a bit hurt the way everyone assumed that i was poor at what i do. if any 1 can recommend any courses i wil def keep them in mind as i love learning new things. although it would have to be with some 1 who teaches hair extensions too as they know the difference, am i right? xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back