Cutting nail tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabz

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m new here and new to the business of nails. I’m currently doing a home learn course for acrylic nails.

I seem to be struggling with the cutting of the tips. I have a tip cutter and a standard nail cutter. Each time I seem to have white marks form on my tips once I trim them. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening or is it normal ? Please help !!

Thank you in advance

Sounds like they are blunt, they are bending the tip as they cut. It can also be down to the angle at which you are holding them, make sure you hold them vertically not tilted towards or away from you.

Home learn course? What next. Sorry but this is why you need proper training so if you struggle with anything or need advice you have the correct support.
Not your fault but I trained full time for 6 months to be able to apply acrylic nails and still wasn't salon ready.

Home learn course? What next. Sorry but this is why you need proper training so if you struggle with anything or need advice you have the correct support.
Not your fault but I trained full time for 6 months to be able to apply acrylic nails and still wasn't salon ready.

Hey! Please don't belittle someone getting some training, there are plenty on here who have started with home learn courses and gone on to be fantastic techs. There are others (granted, probably more) who have discovered that further training may be required but we don't slate anyone who is actually doing some recognised training.

Yes there maybe better options but Rabz may not have known that or come across our site for reviews before they started

Thank you
Sounds like they are blunt, they are bending the tip as they cut. It can also be down to the angle at which you are holding them, make sure you hold them vertically not tilted towards or away from you.

Thank you the cutters are brand new I think it’s the way I am holding them. Maybe just need more practice.

Thanks for replying but I wasn’t asking regarding Home learning courses. One of my friend did the same course I am doing and is doing a fantastic job at nails. I’m doing the course with Essential Nails and they seem to be a reputable company who have won many awards. Many people do distance learning and achieve the same results if not better as going to an actual class.

Hey! Please don't belittle someone getting some training, there are plenty on here who have started with home learn courses and gone on to be fantastic techs. There are others (granted, probably more) who have discovered that further training may be required but we don't slate anyone who is actually doing some recognised training.

Yes there maybe better options but Rabz may not have known that or come across our site for reviews before they started

Thank you. I only come across this site whilst googling things and it’s been good to read some of the things on here.

I've just done a training course in acrylic nails. I found if I trimmed a little bit off, it bent the tip and I was left with white marks. If I took a big chunk off, I had no marks. Maybe try trimming bigger bits off and filing the smaller bits xx

I've also found the same thing as Ellen, no problem if I'm taking a chunk off but if I take little bits off it leaves marks.

I think the home learning courses are not so popular on here Hun, for the reasons Dani said. However in-house learning is just not an option for everyone. So wer here to help if you need any. I'm newly qualified so still finding my feet. Despite my training being at an academy I have to say I've also learnt so much watching YouTube videos and tons of stuff on here too. X

Bending the tip shouldn’t be that much of a problem with good quality tips. Take CND’s for instance or Proimpression’s. If you take a tip and bend it in half it leaves no mark whatsoever and it doesn’t deform either. Straight it back up and you can use it again. That’s a way to tell if your tips are a good quality.
With bad quality tips, when you bend them they are for the bin. They stay bent and you get white marks all over.

Get yourself some good quality tips. And learn to hold your cutter properly.

By the way trin, I was taught to tilt the cutter following the natural nail angle. Vertical was a big no no as it could rip the tip from the nail bed. Never had a problem that way, even with crappy tips.

Last edited:
many people do distance learning and achieve the same results if not better as going to an actual class.

Sorry Rabz, I have to dispute this statement, no one will be better at a manually performed skill taught by only reading and watching learning materials. You are learning a skill involving holding implements to achieve a result, if you are holding the brush/abrasive/etc. wrong only someone actually watching you can tell that. Case in point is your original question, if you were in a classroom environment the tutor would immediately pick up your issue with the cutters.

For a physical skill you need a physical person to teach

By the way trin, I was taught to tilt the cutter following the natural nail angle. Vertical was a big no no as it could rip the tip from the nail bed. Never had a problem that way, even with crappy tips.

I think it proves my point that the written word is no substitute for actually doing/seeing, maybe my definition of vertical is not the same :confused:

Sorry Rabz, I have to dispute this statement, no one will be better at a manually performed skill taught by only reading and watching learning materials. You are learning a skill involving holding implements to achieve a result, if you are holding the brush/abrasive/etc. wrong only someone actually watching you can tell that. Case in point is your original question, if you were in a classroom environment the tutor would immediately pick up your issue with the cutters.

For a physical skill you need a physical person to teach
I 100% agree with this.

I started 14 years ago with Essential Nails, gained a distinction through them then started work on the paying public but encountered various problems and working on my own mobile, got myself into a right old tizz and almost threw in the towel.

I didn't have Salon Geek in those days either so felt very much alone

I decided to throw another load of money at it and did another gel course followed by acrylic and fibreglass, all hands on. I was able to iron out very very quickly where I was going wrong, once I had someone to show me.

So while Essential Nails definitely started me off in the right direction, I do feel life would have been easier had I booked a hands on course from the outset.

I find it easier to cut the tip with a pair of normal straight toe nail clippers. I never managed to see what I was doing with one of the spring loaded ones & no two nails ended up the same length lol

I do a nip on the right & then a nip on the left & no marks:D xx

Latest posts

Back