Cutting the hair of a child with autism

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsasix

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has any ideas how to make this a bit easier on the little boys hair I cut x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Are you mobile?

What age?

Not a hairdresser but used to work with children with autism.

He will have someone with him so hopefully they will use distraction techniques etc to keep him calm. Don't do anything unexpected, people with autism don't like unpredictability. He may not like to engage in conversation and that's ok. He might like a snack whilst he is getting his hair done as a distraction, ask his parent or carer but chocolate buttons or grapes are good. If you can use a quiet corner of the shop that's best as too much sensory stimulation can be difficult to cope with. Hope this helps 😃

Yes I am...I've been doing the family's hair for years and we thought it would be more comfortable at home...he's only just over 2 but has the most thickest beautiful hair you have ever seen ...I've been cutting it since he was a baby but it's getting more and more stressful for him and His parents recently ...but were not giving up x

Yes thankyou unfortunately we've tried all these ...I cut half his hair tonight whilst he was asleep on the settee...we've even laughed about doing it in the bath x

Hi, I think there are different types of autism and some people can have a very mild form some more extreme.

Have you asked carer/parent if there are any circumstances where he may become anxious or distressed?

Am sure he will have be told more than once that he will be getting a haircut which should help.

He's just so young bless him...I go every 3-4 week's he knows me well as he runs off and crys...his mom showed him my picture today and told him Sarah's coming to trim your hair as we don't say cut as this could scare him she said he touched his hair and cried...he's a very clever little boy and about the size of a 5 year old ..we showed him the clippers tonight as this was recommended but he took them off his mom and pushed them away...he's seen me cut his daddy's hair so he knows what they are...I come away shaking and could sit and cry in the car after x

I'm presume your not using clippers.
I would show him everything even give him a water spray, have him on mums lap or does he prefer to see her, does he like a cartoon or music

It will be trial and error I'm afraid
my friends little boy has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and autism, and we discovered the easiest way was to cut his hair while he listened to his iPod sometimes it can be difficult and Iv nipped my fingers a few times

Good luck

Don't use clippers they will terrify him,
Do they want him to have short or messier,

THIS was recommended to to put some music with earphones as he might not like the sound of the hair being cut...he starts asleep then goes in his high chair which he has realised tonight it's just for hair cutting...we then sit on the floor with his parents whilst he watches his favorite programmes...I think it will be trial and error bless him...he has a short back and sides with scissors and left longer on top...luckily he has beautiful hair..he used to hold the water spray and a comb whilst eating treats but not anymore ...the clippers are a definat no no...I've suggested I just go round for play time so he doesn't see me as a bad person hopefully with time age and his speech developing we will find things easier...I go to one house who's little boy with autism will only have his hair cut on a Sunday by his mom...I asked him to let me try and he Said no Sarah you know it's only on a Sunday I have my hair cut bless him x

My sons autistic and cutting his hair is a nightmare, depending on where he is on the spectrum the best thing I can suggest is to explain exactly what you are doing and in what order, and keep re assuring as you are cutting, if he doesn't like getting his hair cut he will probably scream and wriggle around. It won't be easy but its just one of those things that needs to be done. Just remember that his not being horrible on purpose and that he is scared and the screaming and shouting is his way of expressing it. As long as he has mum or dad there reassuring him just do the best you can. X X X

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using SalonGeek

Thank you for that, he really crys makes me feel like crying with him...he's a gorgeous little boy love him to bits ...he's off to Disney land tomorrow so hopefully him seeing me will soon be forgotten x

Oh bless him, not making it any easier wanting it short short, good luck you will get there eventually,
He's still very young, I'd def try iPod with earphones

Thankyou for your help and I'll suggest they try this before I go...he uses his iPad a lot so we could try putting it in there...I take my hat off to all parents with these gorgeous children. X.

I would say recommend a longer style firstly. Something shorter is harder so will be more stress for you while he is getting more stressed. His parents should know what relaxes him the most, do it then if you can. You have already done another part I would recommend which was show him the tools.
Could it be the itchys and thought of itchys that get him stressed? Ask his parents to give him a good covering with talc first, its what I do for children who get itchy as I was one of the children who would scream the salon down because I didn't want a cut.

Lastly is give up, not completley, but maybe try graders by his mum or dad. I would only let my mums friend cut mine, she wasn't a hairdresser, but the only one I allowed to cut my hair. This isn't giving up on him as much as finding what he's comfortable with. But it will be a long and probably slow process finding a way to cut his hair xoxo

My son used to hyperventilate (literally) when having a haircut as a toddler- to cut a long story very short,!

My mum (he was always a BIT less stresed with nan) took him to an old fashioned corner barbers where the owner allowed his dogs in all day (yes, I know all current salon owners freak at this lol). The dogs (massive German Shepherds) wanted a fuss / cuddle and my son, an animal lover since birth, happily had his first hair cut stress free whilst communicating / cuddling / being distracted with the dogs ..... He went back to the same salon until he was about 12 .... (when he realised his cut was not "trendy" lol)

just a thought ........

Latest posts

Back