Daily rate/pay by hour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey geeks not posted in a while but wondered if any of you could help me.
Basically I am a 21 year old junior and get paid by hour (£6.50) which is nmw and is fine. It's only in the past few weeks a few of the stylists in my work have started making digs towards me because I get paid by hour and they all get paid a daily rate of £50. So for example one of my colleagues works 9-2 and gets £50 and another works 9-7 and gets the exact same. I've only ever worked in my current salon and a previous one where everyone got paid by hour so was is all new to me to find out about a daily rate. The stylists that comment on my hourly wage keep going on about how that according to the hairdressing federation, hairdressers do not need to get nmw and that a daily rate is the correct way to be paid even if it is lower than it legally should be. Is this correct? Ive tried to Google this and have had no such luck but would like to find out what is correct as I plan to move salons soon. Thanks :)

They're talking complete rubbish. It's illegal to pay anyone less than minimum wage unless they're under the age limit and on a regulated apprentice scheme.

A daily rate? That's a bizarre way to pay staff in my opinion.

The Salon owner can pay a daily rate providing it's at least the equivalent to the hourly NMW, although it doesn't sound like it for the person working a ten hour day.

Also, the National Hairdressers Federation definitely do not support Salon Owners breaking the law regarding pay and conditions for their staff. They've even got a Pension scheme for members. :)

Hey geeks not posted in a while but wondered if any of you could help me.
Basically I am a 21 year old junior and get paid by hour (£6.50) which is nmw and is fine. It's only in the past few weeks a few of the stylists in my work have started making digs towards me because I get paid by hour and they all get paid a daily rate of £50. So for example one of my colleagues works 9-2 and gets £50 and another works 9-7 and gets the exact same. I've only ever worked in my current salon and a previous one where everyone got paid by hour so was is all new to me to find out about a daily rate. The stylists that comment on my hourly wage keep going on about how that according to the hairdressing federation, hairdressers do not need to get nmw and that a daily rate is the correct way to be paid even if it is lower than it legally should be. Is this correct? Ive tried to Google this and have had no such luck but would like to find out what is correct as I plan to move salons soon. Thanks :)

Bullshit. Nmw is the law. Unless you are exempt due to college course or whatever. As for the stylist on 50 quid for a 10 hour day? They need to take it up with the boss. As AcidPerm says daily rate needs to be at least equivalent to nmw.

Thankyou so much guys... This is exactly what I thought but I don't like to question stylists who have been in the game years longer than me lol my boss has apparently been paying this way since he opened his business yeeeeears ago and it looks like all the stylists are very nieve...
Another question now though... If I go on the floor before I find another salon and he tries to put me on a daily wage and I tell him this is not true, who could I tell him to contact? Do you think he could contact the National Hairdressing Federation to get answers?

Hey, It's illegal for him not to pay you nmw so if he decides he wants to pay you a daily rate when you are finished college/apprenticeship etc you can tell him to contact the citizens advice or NHF. Xx

Tell him to check with his accountant, although I'd be surprised if he has an accountant if he's not paying the equivalent of NMW.

Alternatively, don't tell him anything but ring HMRC and ask their advice... I'm sure they'll be very helpful...cackle, cackle. :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not overly surprised though. When I was volunteering on my level 2, I discovered that one of the mature stylists (over 50) was being paid an Apprentice rate (!) because she was doing her level 3 part time at college.

I did suggest to both the owner and the stylist that perhaps there had been a mistake. I've no idea what happened though as I left shortly afterwards. It was an interesting experience in how not to run a salon!

Thanks AcidPerm, I think my salon is the perfect example of how not to run a salon but that sounds awful, poor woman. surprisingly he does have an accountant... One that is forever posting letters through the door with 'urgent' all over it though!
Thanks again x

I'm not overly surprised though. When I was volunteering on my level 2, I discovered that one of the mature stylists (over 50) was being paid an Apprentice rate (!) because she was doing her level 3 part time at college.

I did suggest to both the owner and the stylist that perhaps there had been a mistake. I've no idea what happened though as I left shortly afterwards. It was an interesting experience in how not to run a salon!

That does not suprise me. I worked at a beauty therapists and the owner told one of the workers if she decided to go study level 3 apprentice via college on her day off her wage would be reduced to apprentice wage even though the course was free and she would still be doing same job.

The only reasoning I have for this is apprentices cannot be made redundant and have certain protections but I truly believe many business owners do not want their staff to be 'overly' educated to hold them back and limit competition. That and they are manipulating the system. It is such a cheek.

Hi everyone. I am doing some research into hairdressing apprentice pay rates and was really interested in this conversation. I have spoken to quite a few apprentices and trainers and so far have only heard positive things about pay rates So I was quite curious to hear of salons paying these low day rates below the NMW. Does anyone else have any experience of salons doing this? Thanks for the info

I used to deliver NVQs to apprentices in salons and a lot of salons did this. It's a shame but there are a lot of salon owners that have not idea about business and law! They sadly rely on their accountants that sometimes don't inform them about pay changes etc. I had one salon pay thousands back in back pay xx

Thanks for this Jody2412. That's really interesting about the accountants. That would explain a lot of reasons why people might get paid the wrong pay. The conversations on here are fascinating because they are coming from both the employer and the apprentic side.

Latest posts

Back