Damage underneath gel nails. My fault?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyema

Reaction score
My first ever post to salongeek... looking for advice. Working in salon today I had a client in for a gel nail repair on nails done by another tech. I began to file off the pink and white gel and noticed the nail looked particularly red underneath the enhancement on one side. I switched straight away to a soft grit file and asked the client if she had had any pain and she said no. As I continued to file it became obvious that the nail was very overfiled underneath the enhancement and I panicked. I very gently kept filing and at this stage the client said her nail was feeling sensitive and sore. I really didnt know what to do so I told her her nail looked overfiled underneath the gel and that I was reluctant to rebuild the enhancement. She wanted all her nails to look the same so I reluctantly gave her a very thin gel french overlay. The nail still looked red under the overlay though. I gave her aftercare advice and told her she should maybe consider having all the nails taken off and having a luxury manicure instead during the week. My concerns now are: she will blame me for the damage under the nail as I discovered it? I done the wrong thing by agreeing to a gel overlay even though her nail was clearly damaged? I actually caused the damage??? Opinions please as I now feel sick over it!!! Also, the previous nail tech that done her nails works in the same salon as me.

I would have put a short set of enhancements on to protect her nails and tell her she needs to grow out the damage.
Her nails probably felt tender as the protective hard gel was being filed off.

Don't beat yourself up over it, you did you best with what you were faced with.

I would also say it to the other nail tech that her nails were overfiled. She might not like it but let her know anyways and she might then pay more attention to what she's doing. Although in fairness , whilst it shouldn't happen , it can , we're all human .

Thanks Rinn. I feel a bit better now! Total panic mode over it because im afraid I done the completely wrong thing.... any other opinions greatly appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sure the gel you gave her won't do further harm, but I agree, you should have a word with the other nail tech. Hopefully the client will come back to you so you can watch her nails improve. If that was me in your chair, I would have pointed out to the client the damage ALREADY caused, to make it clear to her it's nothing to do with you, just to keep yourself in the clear !

I feel I didnt make things clear enough to the client due to panic mode!! Feeling very apprehensive about her coming back to be honest!!

Is it normal that she didnt have any pain before when the nail was intact? Only when it was filed down about 50% looked red at beginning but no pain....

When the nail had the overlay or enhancement on it probably would not hurt as would have settled down from last filing, as you removed product the nail would have been moving so soreness probably woudv been felt, not your fault as it would have happened with any tech doing it. Write all the info on the clients record card so its there for other techs to see and as said keep overlayed until it's all grown out.

The more I think about it the more im feeling the client is going to think it was me, she specifically said it didnt hurt before you started filing it!!

Update on this client.... she came back twice for refills and we were finally able to put a short sculpted french extension on the sore nail once it wasnt so sore anymore! She is very very happy and has rebooked again for three weeks time!! Great to see a happy client... she also brought me a box of chocolates to say thank you! Win win all round :)

Update on this client.... she came back twice for refills and we were finally able to put a short sculpted french extension on the sore nail once it wasnt so sore anymore! She is very very happy and has rebooked again for three weeks time!! Great to see a happy client... she also brought me a box of chocolates to say thank you! Win win all round :)

Nice to hear a happy client and bet you're buzzing she listened to you and not only the pleasure of seeing her nails improve week on week, but a box of chocs too! Thumbs up!!!!
You've made me want choc now though lol!

Latest posts

Back