Damaged nails - what is this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubytues

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Can anyone shed any light on my clients nails, I have seen damaged nails but not this kind before. A bit of background;
She's had cheap 'acrylics' on for a few years and by the sounds of it the beds have taken a beating!
I'm natural nails only and talked her round to wearing Shellac 12 weeks ago, no Brisa Lite and they last 2 weeks which I was surprised as they are wafer thin!
I do a dry pep, filed nice and short, extremely gentle with the pusher, scrub fresh, shellac application. Retailed Solar oil.
Removal with nourishing remover in wraps, gentle with the orange wood stick.

She came today and we noticed the free edges are looking red?
Is this a common thing with over buffing/filing?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365195939.615218.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365195939.615218.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2,163
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365196030.381559.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365196030.381559.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,111
No one could say what's definitely the issue, but it certainly does resemble other nails I've seen where the nail plates have been over buffed or filed repeatedly x

Yep excessive buffing can thin the nail plate. It looks to me like the nail plate is just really damaged and I can see it's really thin too which causes the redness as I have seen it before. I think the only thing she can do is wait for new healthy nail to grow though, your clearly doing all the correct things so there's not much your client can do apart from care from care for them correctly and wait for them to grow out.

Thanks for your replies ladies I shall pass this on! X

Latest posts

Back