Dark grey/silver hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuwaah

Reaction score
Any ideas on brands/colours I can use to achieve this? Considering using crazy colour, and putting a bit of the black into the silver to make it darker? Hair is a warm base 4 but obviously going to bleach it up before I apply any colour (duh) haha

Any ideas on brands/colours I can use to achieve this? Considering using crazy colour, and putting a bit of the black into the silver to make it darker? Hair is a warm base 4 but obviously going to bleach it up before I apply any colour (duh) haha
I used affinage gothic range 10.117 platinum and then top it up with Maria nilla silver semi. I've used the gothic with both 3% and converter and both worked well. The hair does have to be the whiter the better as doesn't work with yellow hair xx

If the hair is a warm level 4 then it might take a couple of attempts to get the undercoat light enough for sliver.

The best product I have found for creating silver is Luocolor, I find I can get a true silver tone using 3/4 P01 with 1/4 ash shade. A few days ago I added 7.1 as the ash shade and had a really perfect silver/ grey that was still reflective and not dull (about a level 9) I have also used 5.1 in the same mix which was a more cold steel tone (about a level 8). This is a permanent colour so great for full head lightening but you would need to watch it if there is virgin hair there.

Using black in very small amounts does work too but can have a slight blue undertone. I have used this with DiaRichesse before when the hair was only lightened to a level 9 and the blue undertone took any any warmth to a very cool grey. You have to check with the chosen brand, L'Oreal tend to have a blue undertone, but some brands will have a more green undertone.

If the hair is a warm level 4 then it might take a couple of attempts to get the undercoat light enough for sliver.

The best product I have found for creating silver is Luocolor, I find I can get a true silver tone using 3/4 P01 with 1/4 ash shade. A few days ago I added 7.1 as the ash shade and had a really perfect silver/ grey that was still reflective and not dull (about a level 9) I have also used 5.1 in the same mix which was a more cold steel tone (about a level 8). This is a permanent colour so great for full head lightening but you would need to watch it if there is virgin hair there.

Using black in very small amounts does work too but can have a slight blue undertone. I have used this with DiaRichesse before when the hair was only lightened to a level 9 and the blue undertone took any any warmth to a very cool grey. You have to check with the chosen brand, L'Oreal tend to have a blue undertone, but some brands will have a more green undertone.
Ah I might use the luocolor then!! Would you suggest I prelighten it with bleach and 30 before i apply the colour? I think I'll use the 5.1 with it because I want it a dark grey, think gun metal! I probably sound like a novice but I use Aveda colour which is completely different to any other colouring system, and the colours aren't very ashy!

Ah I might use the luocolor then!! Would you suggest I prelighten it with bleach and 30 before i apply the colour? I think I'll use the 5.1 with it because I want it a dark grey, think gun metal! I probably sound like a novice but I use Aveda colour which is completely different to any other colouring system, and the colours aren't very ashy!

Aveda is the same in the sense that to create a cool tone you need to neutralise the underlying pigment and then add your reflective tone.

I don't activly use aveda colour but I have studied it for fun, and can point you in the direction of a friend called lupe that runs an awesome course for Aveda at the NYC academy. Look for haircolormagic on hairbrained.me ✌

Could you use a different colour line? If yes get 6.1 in colorissimo, it's sold in Salons direct if your local supplier dosent stock it, it's a fantastic steely bluey grey, I've used it on my son many times, I originally prelightened using the platinum card method then toned down to a 9.1 which wasn't deep enough so next time we toned with the 6.1 and it was perfect

Aveda is the same in the sense that to create a cool tone you need to neutralise the underlying pigment and then add your reflective tone.

I don't activly use aveda colour but I have studied it for fun, and can point you in the direction of a friend called lupe that runs an awesome course for Aveda at the NYC academy. Look for haircolormagic on hairbrained.me ✌
Thank you so much!! he really seems to know his stuff. we have a colour ambassador in our salon but she doesnt really understand aveda colour she just makes it up as she goes along!

Latest posts

Back