Darkening blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
I have one client who is a bleach blonde, she wanted me to add some golden tones to break up the block colour blonde. I used levels 7,8 and 9 gold but it was so subtle you can't notice it! So iv got to go back and re-do it! Annoying! I normally like to do test pieces but she didn't tell me until I got there. I remember I coloured her hair years ago using a level 4 on her blonde.. And nothing happened?! She also doesn't want it stripy at all, so how can I place my foils so they aren't stripy? X

What brand of colour do you use and did you use permanent colour? Xx

I used goldwell and used semi permanent as i find it grabs and lasts better on blonde hair x

Yeah I find that too, I used to have a bleach tint on my hair and I had to put a base 5 on it in order for it to come out like a 7, I think porous hair has a mind of its own it either sticks or it doesn't lol x

It's just so annoying iv got to go back and re-do it for nothing! Never mind, iv taken some test pieces. I'm just gonna scatter some darker pieces through. How do I avoid the stripy look through the top though? X

To avoid it looking stripy on the top you should try to weave it naturally up to the parting on each side and not do the top section all back ( if that makes sense ) you have more control then of how the streaks appear , if you weave the top straight back then when you part the hair it just splits the section in two and it falls either side in a thicker section which can look stripy if too thick and dark !
It's difficult though if you are using more than one colour this way as you would only see the one colour near the parting.

To avoid it looking stripy on the top you should try to weave it naturally up to the parting on each side and not do the top section all back ( if that makes sense ) you have more control then of how the streaks appear , if you weave the top straight back then when you part the hair it just splits the section in two and it falls either side in a thicker section which can look stripy if too thick and dark !
It's difficult though if you are using more than one colour this way as you would only see the one colour near the parting.

This is what I normally do but as you say if you are using more than one colour you can't really do that x

Darkening a blonde by a few levels of base is the one thing I hate doing! Especially when there's a good amount of root!

It's difficult though if you are using more than one colour this way as you would only see the one colour near the parting.[/QUOTE]

I've never foiled straight back and only ever worked with a parting this way u dictate what shows on either side of the parting ,
Also when I weave I always alternate whether u start over or under on a section this way u will see both colours on the parting.
The weave on the other end of ur comb should be done in the same way then u don't get a bit thick strip all the way up the side section . ( the streaks would all sit on top of each other and create one thick one )
Hope this makes sense
I would perhaps of used a 6.3 with an 8.3 mixed with 9 vol or even 6.34 and 8.34 or a varied combo of these shades. These are majirel

Do you mean with a 9% peroxide? Why would you use 9%? X

No I mean 9 vol

I think u will find it's 2. Something percent

I have one client who is a bleach blonde, she wanted me to add some golden tones to break up the block colour blonde. I used levels 7,8 and 9 gold but it was so subtle you can't notice it! So iv got to go back and re-do it! Annoying! I normally like to do test pieces but she didn't tell me until I got there. I remember I coloured her hair years ago using a level 4 on her blonde.. And nothing happened?! She also doesn't want it stripy at all, so how can I place my foils so they aren't stripy? X

I had exactly the same issue, the only thing I can get to work its 5.3 + 6.35 (equal amounts) with 3% peroxide..!!

I do their top box (section with the parting) diagonally so parallele to their cheek as apposed to parrale to their nose if u were going backwards with the foils

I do their top box (section with the parting) diagonally so parallele to their cheek as apposed to parrale to their nose if u were going backwards with the foils

Can you explain this again... I'm intrigued :D (but not sure I fully understand !) x

Instead of foiling from ear to ear or from the forehead to the crown do It diagonally I don't know how to explain easier ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383296742.532408.jpg

I understand what you mean, my client is a little bit fussy, she says she doesn't want it stripy, or to fine so they blend in to much. She looked at one of my colour swatches that was blonde and had brown through it and liked that, to me it's stripy! Lol x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383307935.412108.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383307945.780802.jpg

Ok so she has sent me these pictures. I was thinking of applying my foils diagonally through the top as recommended and also diagonally up the sides aswell, shall I do a foil, leave a gap then another foil? As she already has the blonde through. Any ideas on placement? X

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383307917.168786.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383307917.168786.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 341
Lovely pics but they are stripey!
U must make sure she understands this.
With foils u will probably cover about half the hair so I would just foil every section with ur chosen colour .

Latest posts

Back