Deeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
Just looked through the deeds to our house and it says not to carry out any trade or business's in the property.

Surely everyone's deeds must say this?

Was hoping to get going soon after sorting every other part out but this has worried me now.

I'm guessing that it's a restrictive covenant. No, they're not common to all house purchases.

Do you know who applied the restriction? Local authority? Original builders/developers?
You may still be able to go ahead with running a business but you should speak to your solicitor for specific advice.

Is your house held on a long lease or is it freehold? (Wondering whether it's an undertaking to your freeholder, or a restrictive covenant in the title)

I've had another look and I don't think it applies anymore. It's in the original deeds but then the land registry transferred to us from the last people doesn't have the same covenants anymore. I think it was whilst it was a new estate. And a Google search shows every man and his dog has a business on my road!

Sounds very likely.
It's quite common for developers to insert restrictive covenants during the building of an estate to ensure that the properties are unaltered until the whole estate is complete and all properties are sold.

Yes I read that AcidPerm. In the original it had things like no vans or caravans etc. but it is just to keep the estate nice during the building and selling phase I think. I don't think the builders really care now and the Land Registry transferring it to us doesn't mention any of these anymore.

Latest posts

Back