Depressed and stuck at work!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTStar*

Reaction score
Hey :) I'm new on this website but have been visiting for a while.

I've come to ask for a bit of advice really. I'm 14 months into my hairdressing apprentice and am getting no where. Everyone at college is miles in front of me and my boss isnt getting me any models in at work. The only blow dries I do are on my mum and nan who come in once a week. I've done 2 cuts up to now where she shows me what to do then goes back to her client. I'm struggaling and she throws a strop coz I need her.

I've been doing colours for a while now like roots and that. I've been passed on foils now and one of the girls asked me to help her with some the other day and my boss didnt like it and had to step in. Same with sets. When she asks me to set someone and I'm struggaling she just comes and takes over and usually asks me to go and shampoo her next client.

I've been stuck on the basins now for 14 months. She complains to my college assessor/tutor that I dont watch what she is doing. I never have time! The girls I work with are slobs. They dont tidy up after themselves, combs and brushes are left lying around, they dont sweep up the hair, they dont do the dishes and stack tint bowls up in the sink and just left them there for me to do!

Argh! Its so annoying! I feel like I arent going anywhere! Its just the same day in day out :(

Family have asked their hairdressers if they will take me on and most have said yes, but I feel like I cant leave because I've really fitted in there with like the clients and that. My boss isnt really appoachable either which makes things not good either. And my tutor is a waste of time too.

Oh and another thing is my wages. They should of gone up to £95, she's paying me £90. College havent done anything about it and I dont know who I can get in touch with :S

Goodness, sorry to go on, but I'm not sure what to do.

xxx

I've been in your postion before and I just stuck it out for 6 years and then just change profession all together. Talk to your family and see what the best for YOU not for your boss. Some time a change is good and will give you more confidence to do more.

alot of that is normal crap you'd expect i'm afraid. ie tint bowls, dishes.... not the best but it is what it is!
but the fact your boss isn't letting you do anything is bad!!
how can you poss learn??
if you have somewhere to go then i would go..... you have to expect to do the crappy jobs as a junior but the main reason your there is to learn the trade.
i would just talk to your boss and explain the times she has upset you, and say you feel your never going to get anywhere if you can't be hands on.
ask if you can bring family and friends in after hours if needs be and ask her to train you then if she isn't willing to do it in shop time
i'm sure she will want to let you loose on clients then :hug:
xx

If you fitted in well there then chances are you will fit in well somewhere new. I think you should check out the opportunities at other salons and see what they can offer.

i agree that it sucks u aint gettin your training and that really needs to be addressed. . . if u have the offer of another salon and it reputable, go for it and do it soon. . . if the tutor sucks, complain about her at college to another tutor if havin a word with her doesnt work. . .
as for the rest. . cleaning and sweeping hair is a juniours job, dont know bout anyone else but if im fully booked and am busy i expect a juniour to sweep up after me and tidy my stuff up ready for my next client by the time i seen the last client out the door. . .
does ur current salon not have a weekly training night for all the juniours? we used to have one every tuesday at 330. . . we all had to take in our own model. . . u shud suggest summin like that to ur boss. . xcxc

I understand how you are feeling as i am in a very similar situation myself, as for all the crappy jobs, that is to be expected as you are the junior and doing all the crap is unfortunatley seen as your responsibility, juniors have a hard time, but when your not getting the training you require it makes you resent doing all the work as you feel you are working hard for no reward. with regards to pay my boss is refusing to up my wage from £80 to £95 even though i have pointed out to him that its the law! the best advice i can give is look for other work, i love the clients at my salon, but you have to think about your career, keep your head down at work and remember you wont be there forever x

i agree that it sucks u aint gettin your training and that really needs to be addressed. . . if u have the offer of another salon and it reputable, go for it and do it soon. . . if the tutor sucks, complain about her at college to another tutor if havin a word with her doesnt work. . .
as for the rest. . cleaning and sweeping hair is a juniours job, dont know bout anyone else but if im fully booked and am busy i expect a juniour to sweep up after me and tidy my stuff up ready for my next client by the time i seen the last client out the door. . .
does ur current salon not have a weekly training night for all the juniours? we used to have one every tuesday at 330. . . we all had to take in our own model. . . u shud suggest summin like that to ur boss. . xcxc

Thank you for your reply :) I dont even get chance to tidy up. As soon as they are just finishing their client they ask me to shampoo the next one then once one of the girls is finished with payment and all that, i have finished shampooing and sat the person in the chair. I havent got that space to brush up and clean up. I do, do a lot of cleaning when I can. I hate mess. I think the model nights are a great idea! One of the girls as suggested it but nothing got taken of it. God, I wish I had the guts to say something but shes so unappoachable! Maybe thats another reason I havent left yet...

gregsaunders said:
I understand how you are feeling as i am in a very similar situation myself, as for all the crappy jobs, that is to be expected as you are the junior and doing all the crap is unfortunatley seen as your responsibility, juniors have a hard time, but when your not getting the training you require it makes you resent doing all the work as you feel you are working hard for no reward. with regards to pay my boss is refusing to up my wage from £80 to £95 even though i have pointed out to him that its the law! the best advice i can give is look for other work, i love the clients at my salon, but you have to think about your career, keep your head down at work and remember you wont be there forever x

I'm going to ring Connextions tomorrow and ask about the wages if my college tutor say nothing about it tomorrow!

Thank you all for your advice :D

Bess you... I dont know what to suggest apart from..

You can have some of my crazy pills (anti-depressants!)

<3

Latest posts

Back