Dermace vs Nouveau Contour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerryanne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on here because I have been sooooo busy training in a couple new things :)

Okay so I originally trained in Semi-Permanent Makeup with Dermace and I found it very difficult as anyone would I'm sure...
So I went off to do my 12 case studies and that's when I realised... I had no clue what I was doing in brows! I personally didn't feel like I got as much help I would have liked with learning how to give the right shape for different people with different face shapes and I also had a lit of problems making them look natural!
So I practiced on my practice skin LOADs and I still wasn't happy., my models for case studies were but I wasn't.

So I booked in for my HD Brows course because I thought it would help create better shapes and give me more confidence which it did and I obviously I got a new treatment out of it.

Through the months prier I had heard gossip of some clients that another technician local to me was slagging me off saying this and that and that I was trying to steal her clients which is wasn't because at that time I was spending a lot of time in London hoping that by the time I finish my case studies I could move there with at that time my boyfriend...

So just before I went on my HD Brows course I got a phone call off the trainer from Dermace saying that the 'local technician' who also trained with them had been in contact and was telling them that apparently I was slagging her off blah blah blah! If I'm honest I'm not the type to bitch like that and why would I try to take her clients when I was wanting to move away??
I happen to have this phone call on speaker because I was getting so upset over how I felt I was being spoken to that my family also wanted to hear and that we're not happy at ALL.
My Mum even said "you didn't spend thousands if pounds to be spoken to like that?!"

I mean I believe some of the words were something like " I know this lady and I can't imagine her saying anything like what your implying she's saying" basically implying that I would?!

So I had to go back to them anyways cause I had already booked and payed for my Meso Re-Vitalize course which was great but I felt really uncomfortable.

I don't feel comfortable going back for my assessment because A. I'm not happy with the skills they gave me from the course. B. Because I don't want to be put in the situation where I'm feeling attacked again.

(I'm sure Dermace is a great fit for a lot of people and are great with them etc, just not a nice experience for me personally)

So anyhow I have booked onto the Silver course with Nouveau Contour and I can not wait!!!
They team has been so nice and made me feel so much better after all the stuff I have talked about.

I feel like their skill set is so much higher and I can't wait to learn everything that they can teach me :-D

Hi kerryann

We're genuinely sorry feel that way. As you know, we offer full, unlimited free support to all our trainees and are the only academy to do so. You'd be more than welcome to return for a refresher anytime you like with any of our trainers. :)
As you know, we are happy to help in any way we can.

The Portfolio stage can be tough, but it's there as a developmental stage to your training. Any reputable Academy require you to carry out a portfolio of models (I'm pretty sure Nouveau require this also - being a reputable Academy). There are companies out there that sign students off on the last day, or allow them to include their training models as portfolio. We don't agree with this, however, as issues cannot be picked up on. An Academy need to be on hand to guide their students through the portfolio stage, as this is where support and confidence is most tested.

The situation you mentioned was a little more complicated to be honest. There was a third technician involved (not a Dermace technician) who was feeding you both with "he said, she said" information. Please rest assured, we had the same conversation with both yourself and the technician concerned. No blame was apportioned at all, and it's sad that you came away feeling that way. In situations such as these we try to mediate as fairly as possible.
The phone call you mention was regarding a different topic, and during that conversation you mentioned the issues you were having with the other technician. The finger of blame was never, and still is not pointed at you at all. We always support our technicians as best we can, it's the foundation of our business.

We take feedback from all trainees very seriously and add content where appropriate. Our courses constantly evolve to make sure we're offering the best package.

Of course, you're always welcome to return for support if you wish. We're happy to say we've just been made the UK's only Habia Centre of Expertise in semi permanent makeup, which recognises the highest standards of training and support are met. Again, this is something that is unique to Dermace.

Good luck with your training. We hope you find the confidence you are looking for. We're genuinely sorry you feel the way you do. We pride ourselves in producing happy, confident technicians.

Kerryanne, This sounds a confusing and upsetting situation but perhaps not ideal for posting in this way on Salongeek. For the most part it sounds a personal issue with another tech not entirely a professional one.

Both Dermace and Nouveau are good companies with different training methods and programs offered and both require a portfolio to complete certificate, I also had to do this when I trained with a different company in the UK. It is a difficult time for everyone who trains really and I remember it well but this system of portfolio completion off site is adopted by nearly all of the UK PMU training companies, not just Dermace.

Last edited:
I have no problem making a portfolio, there was some lighting errors which I corrected.

It's mainly to do with the phone call I receives in regards to the issue that with the other technician, I felt as though I was being spoken down to and felt like your tone was very aggressive towards me.

When I came back for the Meso course i learnt a lot however I was afraid you were going to be aggressive again towards me and it's not a nice feeling to be afraid.

Maybe this was a bad idea to put this on here but I wanted to know if I was the only one..... Maybe I am but in my opinion which might not matter to most, one is too many.

I am sure Dermace is a wonderful company and will just get bigger and bigger however I just don't think given what happened it was the right fit for me.

Good Luck in all adventures :) xx

I have no problem making a portfolio, there was some lighting errors which I corrected.

It's mainly to do with the phone call I receives in regards to the issue that with the other technician, I felt as though I was being spoken down to and felt like your tone was very aggressive towards me.

When I came back for the Meso course i learnt a lot however I was afraid you were going to be aggressive again towards me and it's not a nice feeling to be afraid.

Maybe this was a bad idea to put this on here but I wanted to know if I was the only one..... Maybe I am but in my opinion which might not matter to most, one is too many.

I am sure Dermace is a wonderful company and will just get bigger and bigger however I just don't think given what happened it was the right fit for me.

Good Luck in all adventures :) xx

Hi Kerryanne,

I know it does not help, but read my other post http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/256781-semi-permanent-make-up-courses.html

I hope you make a really good go of it and well done xxx I saw the other side of it, in the end I did not train, ( as you can see by the post)

Good luck and stick to your guns, I dont like any of the training companies for perm makeup, but that's just me.

Hats off to you xxx

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on here because I have been sooooo busy training in a couple new things :)

Okay so I originally trained in Semi-Permanent Makeup with Dermace and I found it very difficult as anyone would I'm sure...
So I went off to do my 12 case studies and that's when I realised... I had no clue what I was doing in brows! I personally didn't feel like I got as much help I would have liked with learning how to give the right shape for different people with different face shapes and I also had a lit of problems making them look natural!
So I practiced on my practice skin LOADs and I still wasn't happy., my models for case studies were but I wasn't.

So I booked in for my HD Brows course because I thought it would help create better shapes and give me more confidence which it did and I obviously I got a new treatment out of it.

Through the months prier I had heard gossip of some clients that another technician local to me was slagging me off saying this and that and that I was trying to steal her clients which is wasn't because at that time I was spending a lot of time in London hoping that by the time I finish my case studies I could move there with at that time my boyfriend...

So just before I went on my HD Brows course I got a phone call off the trainer from Dermace saying that the 'local technician' who also trained with them had been in contact and was telling them that apparently I was slagging her off blah blah blah! If I'm honest I'm not the type to bitch like that and why would I try to take her clients when I was wanting to move away??
I happen to have this phone call on speaker because I was getting so upset over how I felt I was being spoken to that my family also wanted to hear and that we're not happy at ALL.
My Mum even said "you didn't spend thousands if pounds to be spoken to like that?!"

I mean I believe some of the words were something like " I know this lady and I can't imagine her saying anything like what your implying she's saying" basically implying that I would?!

So I had to go back to them anyways cause I had already booked and payed for my Meso Re-Vitalize course which was great but I felt really uncomfortable.

I don't feel comfortable going back for my assessment because A. I'm not happy with the skills they gave me from the course. B. Because I don't want to be put in the situation where I'm feeling attacked again.

(I'm sure Dermace is a great fit for a lot of people and are great with them etc, just not a nice experience for me personally)

So anyhow I have booked onto the Silver course with Nouveau Contour and I can not wait!!!
They team has been so nice and made me feel so much better after all the stuff I have talked about.

I feel like their skill set is so much higher and I can't wait to learn everything that they can teach me :-D

My advice to anyone reading this is not to train with Dermace. I did and learned absolutely nothing, their training was terrible and they are without a doubt the most unprofessional people I have come across in my entire life. In fact I am seriously concerned that they are training people poorly in something that is so serious and can ruin someone's face if done incorrectly.

I think the majority of good reviews are placed by them or their friends. I have noticed there have been LOADS of bad reviews over the years but they have managed to get them taken down.

They are effectively a husband and wife team. Teresa was generally off with me, unpleasant to deal with and barely in the room at all. She kept leaving to make money doing treatments in a different part of the building whilst I just sat there doing nothing. She didn't really explain anything clearly and was very casual about everything. This is the exact opposite of what semi permanent make up training should be about.

When I contacted them to politely explain that the lip colour wasn't holding at all (so basically I wasn't capable of providing the treatment to people), they just went "Oh right," and didn't say anything else, and then quickly got me off the phone. I kept trying to ring back but they put me on caller ID and ignored all my calls. I know they put me on caller ID because I rang a few weeks later again and one of their relatives answered and said my name straight away and explained I was on caller ID.

I just can't get over how a company can get away with being this unprofessional with treatments that can scar and ruin people's looks. They have no morals whatsoever. To think I paid all that money and the person who was meant to be training me was in another room making money out of giving people treatments. They are just it in for the money and also they aren't capable, competent or fit to train people.

I contacted the Daily Mail to explain all the above. They used to train people in a sloppy, casual way with Rejuvi tattoo removal. A very high risk form of tattoo removal which has led to many cases of permanent scarring. I have noticed they no longer train people in Rejuvi.

Also, if you look at a one star google review 2 years ago by someone called Carol, she accuses them of pretending their courses were governed by BABTAC/gave insurance by BABTAC when they weren't. Can you believe a company can actually lie about such a thing!? Basically they had been training people back then with no form of accreditation. I don't think you are alone in not being able to do the treatments to a good level despite paying thousands of pounds, because it happened to me and several other people but Dermace got their bad reviews taken down.

They have pocketed a lot of money from people but in return failed to train people to a high level. It's scary to think how many people will have had their eyebrows botched as a result of poor training due to Dermace.

If they try to get this review taken down, I am quite happy to provide proof to Salongeek that I trained with them.

I so agree with all that you have written & I feel exactly the same over Dermace. All singing & dancing web pages & offers of support, but the thought of going back into that place with the lovely Richard & Teresa at the helm would be a no no. Once you contact them to say your unhappy you’ll know about it!
Unprofessional training & out on a limb. Worse so for a few on my course who had no beauty back ground at all.
They get many reviews but get them dissolved & ate great at “home reviewing”. I think as you do this is a dangerous field & the industry need to clamp down on this sort of set up. Send someone in there anonymously to review this appalling training & to check the qualifications of the people there, they will be shocked

Latest posts

Back