Diabetes and pedicures/massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

Just wondered what the outcome was to this? I have just been asked to do shellac man and per for one of my mums friends who is type 2 diabetic and I am not too sure if I can or not etc

I do foot health treatments and pedicures for diabetics.

I don't think you need a doctors note, but follow the general rules of footcare for diabetics and take sensible precautions.

1) I always use a foot bath with a disposable liner to ensure no nasties in the bath AT ALL.

2) Water not too hot and feet not immersed for an unnecessarily long period of time.

3) Ensure that you dry the feet and between the toes thoroughly.

4) File the nails down rather than cutting.

5) Be sure that you are aware if the client has any allergies so that you can avoid them in the products you will use.

6) Observe the skin of the feet really well, if you see any areas where the skin is broken (eg, a cut, blister, softened between the toes, cracked heel etc) ensure that you draw this to your client's attention so that they may take the appropriate care of it at home.

(Keep a record in their notes to prove that you have done this!)

As for the massage aspect I am not sure.

Elaine x

I work for the NHS diabetes service, my "normal" job lol and I would say this advice is spot on. The only reason you have to take extra care is because they are more prone to infections because of the sugar in the blood (makes it a nicer environment to breed) and some may have some loss of sensation.

It's a shame insurance companies have to make such a big deal out of it but unfortunately people are so quick to blame these days! But I most definitely can't see no harm in massage. The main thing is to take extra care to avoid nipping the skin and don't leave moisturising lotion between toes, also checking the temperature of water ect. X

Gosh I was told on my course that pedicures on a diabetic was a no go!

No reason not to treat diabetics, I myself have implemented a rule of treating every client as a possible diabetic and has worked wonders for me :) Keep it simple, disposable liners and sterilized tools. However, insurance companies know better these days. Good friend and old co-worker of mine just finished a long nasty law suite :( It tooks them months to settle it as a prego lady in her 2nd trimester with diabetes decided to sue her for negligence when she miscarried. Clients will tell you they are nothing like that, but when there is a loss there is no going back and they WILL look for someone to blame :( Luckily for my friend it was resolved in her favour but not without hassles and months of undue stress.

Oh gosh :( such a worry.

As a diabetic myself I've never has problem with feet but the right advice has been given on this feed if you have a doctors not from them to cover yourself and point out any possible infections etc it shouldn't be a problem x

Hi, lovely geeks! :)
I know that's an old thread but I'm bumping it as I'm just about promoting my pedis for clients with diabetes.
What I'm not sure it's the foot SPA that I'm using - you guys recommend those with disposable liners while I have a standard one (Babyliss from Capital). It's properly washed and disinfected after every use. Also clients feet are sprayed with disinfectant/fungus killer before the treatment so I don't think there's a chance that any bacteria or fungus where ever present in the bowl. Is it safe to use it?
Thank in advance for any replies :)

I have always been told that you have to get a doctors note for someone that has diabetes

I have always been told that you have to get a doctors note for someone that has diabetes
Thank you - I'll double check with insurance, I'm getting something called 'patient's insurance' that's being used by doctors, dentist etc as there's no such a thing like legal liability cover here and that's being used instead (I only found today that my current ins covers only theft, fire etc even though I asked for it right at the start!:eek:). I'm not in UK so it might not be necessary but will phone them tomorrow.
I'm the most concerned about the foot spa...

Hi I'm a senior health care assistant & i am allowed to give people who have diabetes a pedicure. I'm just not allowed to cut their toenails .xx

Latest posts

Back