Diabetes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatalAttraction

Reaction score
HI

WONDER IF ANY INE CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS!!

DOES ANYONE WORK ON CUSTOMERS WITH DIABETES IF SO WHAT PRECAUTIONS DO YOU TAKE!!

OR SHOULD I AVOID PEOPLE WITH DIABETES SO THAT I DONT CAUSE PROPBLEMS!

ITS JUST THAT I WILL BE DOING MANICURES IN AN OLD PEOPLES HOME AND I AM QUITE WORRIED!!

SO ALL HINTS AND TIPS PLEASE PASS THIS WAY

CHEERS

CAZZA :green: :green:

Hey caza,

We were always taught to never never never puncture the skin of someone with diabeties as it doesnt take much at all for them to develop septisemia if the skin is broken. And people with septisemia can die in like 5 days from it! Pretty scarry. :Scared:

I havent had a client yet with diabeties, i think if i had one, i would explain to them that i did not want to take the risk of puncturing their skin and i would offer to paint their nails with polish only. I think i would also refer them to a podiatrist for their feet care. Im not sure if its okay for nail techs to file nails, so i will be interested to see what the other geeks say.......i think this is a great post and something we all should know about!!!!:D

i have 2 clients with diabetes, one carrys her insulin everywhere with her along with her solar oil lol
she is a nurse and i did check with my own doctor as the information from college was zilch.
i dont use the jets in the foot spa for pedicures, i dont use metal instruments and i dont do deep tissue massage.
i have been told it is ok to do a very light massage just enough to get any products into the skin, they can have lack of sensation in the hands and feet and they can have thin skin also, so make sure the water is not hot.
the other has nail enhancements and they are fine but i do have to make sure that the application of l&p is spot on as i dare`nt go near her with anything more than a koala and a girlfriend buffer because of her skin.
i am sure someone better qualified than me will answer soon with more information.
dawn x

Out of interest, why shouldn't you use waterjets in the foot spa if you have diabetes?
I know about the reduced sensation etc (so being careful with hot water, careful not to cut - also because of the healing), but where do water jets come in?
I keep meaning to talk to my friend's mother as she is a diabetic and a nurse but she's impossibly hard to pin down :)
I'm not refuting at all not doing certain procedures on diabetics, I would just be interested to know why? In particular the foot spa element. Does this also mean diabetics can't go in jacuzzis etc?:confused: Can I use the foot spa with the bubbles but not the water jet, or just stick to the 'vibrate' mode. That said, not sure I can do bubbles without jets so it might have to be just vibrate anyway!
Lol x

Think Dawn covered it pretty well for you!

We were taught not to use metal tools as diabetics skin can be thinner so more easily damaged/cut and also about the possible loss of sensation to hot/cold.

i think its because its a form of massage,
and i think it depends on how bad the diabetes is.
perhaps someone will be be able to shed more light on this.

i was just speaking to my mum about this, she has been a nurse for umpteen years, she did a two day course recently in foot care for the elderly (in australia) and she cuts nails of diabetic people at her work. She said you should always begin with cleaning the skin and if you do happen to cut them, you must gently bleed the blood out from the wound, steralise and dress the wound. (and possibly send them off to a doctor to have the wound looked at) All instruments used on a dibetic should be thouroughly steralised before use, including your own hands. This all sounds a bit to scary for me......but mums advice is to do a short course in how to treat wounds correctly. Cause that is the danger with diabetics...if they get an infection. Also, if you have some training in wound treatment, you have some back up if someone deciedes to sue you!!!!! (you took all of the necesarry precaustions) Also i think its a good idea to have the client sign something that says they give you permission to cut their nails etc.

thanks everyone for the replys!!

i just wanted to be sure about performing any treatments on clients with diabetes...

thankx

cazza :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick:

p.s i love shiba inus i have two naughty ones!!!

aaah i love akitas but they are too big for the house that is why i had to make do with the shiba inus but i love them!!!

i did a ladys nails today who was diabetic and i was very careful all went well :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised: :suprised:

Hi

Please remember that it is not a nail techs role to diagnose :confused:

If you are ever in doubt about whether or not to treat a client refer her to a gp who is qualified to make a decision.

You should always fill out a client consultation card and list any medical conditions a client may have and if need be refer to gp.

When I have permission to treat a diabetic I do not use any metal implements, and I am always extra vigilant when filing.

I Hope this helps I know sometimes it can be confusing but remember We are qualified to do nails and not treat medical conditions

Jackie

I was taught at college that if someone is diabetic, you must get a note from their doctors saying it is okay to carry out the treatment. If they tell you they are diabetic and you don't insist on a doctors note and something happens, they could sue you and your insurance might be nul and void. But if they don't tell you they're diabetic, you have their signature on the client record card and something happens, then you're covered.

hmmmmm I'm wondering now as on my college course I was taught that a diabetic didn't need a doctors note but that there were certain guidline I had to follow. I don't use a metal propusher, nor the Natural Nailcare machine on cuticles, never use nippers & don't have the foot spa on massage mode in a pedicure.

I tell the client that I am not using these things then they are aware that I have taken their medical condition into account, and I highlight on the consultation form the diabetes declaration they have made.

Latest posts

Back