Did my first set of eyelashes last night

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHELSEAHARVEY

Reaction score
I did my course back in April 2013 but have just been so busy that I haven't had time to submit case studies until now.

I have 5 models all lined up that are coming over the next 48hrs to be patch tested

Last nights was a mission: it took me 3hrs & she could have done with more in there (they looked spidery)

My back was caining (how do people do this day in & out?) my back was crippled & doesn't feel great today

The tweezers kept getting stuck together

Her lashes were everywhere.

Dreading the next 4 case studies I knew it wouldn't be easy

Ha! This happened to me on my first few sets - lashes and glue everywhere! Taking me 3hrs + for a set that wasn't as I'd have liked. It does get easier, I promise. it does get easier - it just clicks one time and then you've got it. I initially trained in August. I then did some further training in October. I would say it wasn't until I'd done at least 10 sets before I wasn't getting lashes and glue everywhere, and it isn't really until just recently (must have done over 50 sets now) that I am able to keep within my 2hr time limit AND produce a lovely set. I still want to be able to reduce my time still further though. But it is difficult. Persevere because it is worth it when you start to feel confident. :)

Pressed send before I had finished

I knew it was going to be hard but jeez that was painful & as said could have put more in def

Funny how some people take to it like a duck to water. It's separating the lash & keeping it separated whilst getting a lash & dipping it in glue...

YouTube videos make it look so easy...

How do you get over the back aching situation? Was thinking about getting a saddle seat?

How many did you do until you got your time down?

How many sets until you felt happy with them & confident??

When you patch test where are you sticking the glue??

Hey! It took me about 30-40 sets before I felt reasonably confident. My time came down by a little every single set. I would say it is only now that it has got to a point where I feel confident selling my service to complete strangers for my full asking price, but even then I am still conscious of the need to increase my speed still further. It's a difficult question to answer because I my follow up training was very very good quality, and this had an instant impact on my speed and quality of the sets I was producing, so without this I'm not sure how long it would take me.

With regards to back ache, obvs the quicker you are, the less this becomes a problem. You also have to be careful of your posture (another thing I was shown on my follow up training), and a good seat helps. I have a saddle seat which I find really good, but you do have to wiggle your legs around and get up every so often.

With regards to patch testing, both companies I trained with do not require patch testing. Accordingly, it is not something I am required to do under the terms of my insurance either. However, I do conduct a thorough pre- application consultation with my clients (30 mins!!) before any treatment to flag up any potential issues - if I have any concerns at all off the back of this, then I do patch test. When I have patch tested in the past, I have attached a couple of small lashes to the outer corner of one eye. Logic being that the adhesive shouldn't come into contact with the skin in any event. But I know the method differs across the industry.

Hope that helps and good luck - trust me you will get there! xx

Pressed send before I had finished

I knew it was going to be hard but jeez that was painful & as said could have put more in def

Funny how some people take to it like a duck to water. It's separating the lash & keeping it separated whilst getting a lash & dipping it in glue...

When you patch test where are you sticking the glue??

Hey just wated to say about seperating then getting a lash, then youve lost your isolation...if you can do your isolation with one pair tweezers thats what i do, so i get a false lash first then find a natural lash suitable for it and isolate with my other tweezers. that just what ive found easier & i can glue lash on straight away.
I contacted my insurance as it didnt state about patch testing, they said contact supplier which i have-and they have recommended testing the glue & primer that i use.
when i patch test it will be as a bove-stroke some glue &/or put a few lashes to outer corners. with primer stroking an amount on lashes.
x

Ripper that's what I have been doing 😄

Hey! It took me about 30-40 sets before I felt reasonably confident. My time came down by a little every single set. I would say it is only now that it has got to a point where I feel confident selling my service to complete strangers for my full asking price, but even then I am still conscious of the need to increase my speed still further. It's a difficult question to answer because I my follow up training was very very good quality, and this had an instant impact on my speed and quality of the sets I was producing, so without this I'm not sure how long it would take me.

With regards to back ache, obvs the quicker you are, the less this becomes a problem. You also have to be careful of your posture (another thing I was shown on my follow up training), and a good seat helps. I have a saddle seat which I find really good, but you do have to wiggle your legs around and get up every so often.

With regards to patch testing, both companies I trained with do not require patch testing. Accordingly, it is not something I am required to do under the terms of my insurance either. However, I do conduct a thorough pre- application consultation with my clients (30 mins!!) before any treatment to flag up any potential issues - if I have any concerns at all off the back of this, then I do patch test. When I have patch tested in the past, I have attached a couple of small lashes to the outer corner of one eye. Logic being that the adhesive shouldn't come into contact with the skin in any event. But I know the method differs across the industry.

Hope that helps and good luck - trust me you will get there! xx

Hi sorry to jump on this thread but just wondered who you went with for your refresher training.?

Hey emma84,

I did a one day course with BBA in August, then did Level 1 training with Xtreme in October. I'm doing my certification with Xtreme (another 2 day course) in a weeks time. I've trained with Nouveau also and can honestly say Xtreme is some of the best training I've ever had. In anything I've ever done (and to be fair, I've had some very high level training in many different things lol) x

Hi Hun
Trust me no one starts off perfect. In my experience I did hairdressing and took to it like a duck to water then I moved onto the beauty industry which included eyelash extensions. Mine was a one day course which in my opinion you could not learn more than what way taught to us it's all about practice!!! I picked up my tweezers and was an instant failure! Haha I would FINALLY isolate a lash I'd go to pick up a false lash look over and of course my hand had moved and I lost the isolated lash! So frustrating!! But please trust in me saying you will get the hang of it! Some little tips I can give you that may or may not help but this is from my own personal experience..

1- sensitive glues should only be used on people with overly sensitive eyes the bond is shocking takes a good 10 seconds to adhere to the natural lash and is a huge time waster! Find yourself a good ultra bold glue that way the glue only takes 4-5secs it will save you so much time and mucking around then when you feel more confident move to an ultra super glue which dries in 1-2secs it can be a little fumey but in the end the lashes will last 5-6 weeks rather than 1-2 with sensitive glue.

2-good quality under eye pads in white make everything so much better!!! Better visibility and separation of lower and upper lashes.

3- this is up to you but I always dip my lash in the glue then wipe off a lot on the foil before adhering to the lash

4-get yourself a jade stone glue pad and wrap it over with foil for the glue it will slow the drying time down so your glue will not harden while you work

5-saddle stools definitely help but not 100% I do 8-10 clients a day(a set takes me 45mins) and my the end of the day my back is still killing me!

I hope this has helped if you need any advise just ask!! :)
Eye candy Hair and Beauty xx

Eyecandybeauty, good advice about the glue, which brand do you use?

Also, can I be nosy and ask how you managed to get so many clients? Do you work for yourself? Thanks.

Thanks eyecandy 😄😘

I use Lullylash glue it's meant to be good hS good reviews but yes it dries quick I had loads of blobs over my jadestone although I had put tape all over it so it wasn't a mission getting it off.

Have ordered my chair so hopefully that will help,

Have bought some angled tweezers so that may help with separating the lashes

I have 4 to do this week, my back & am dreading the time it's going to take LOL

I use the collagen pads only once so far but I liked the feel/thickness of them x

I'm fairly new to it. My breakthrough came in deciding that even a half set is an achievement and I'd rather do a good half set than a stress inspired full set.

I did my training in October last year when I set up my mobile business but haven't had many clients for lashes , mainly nails. I have done 4 sets including the one on my training day. I did half set this week. It took me 2.5 hrs!! Heaven knows how long a full set will take! How do you get clients? I feel bad taking money off them when I know they're not the best., really need some advice!! I have bought mini daylight lamp from amazon for 6.99 which is essential x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389363448.724284.jpg

This was my 3rd set! Not very full coverage!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389363503.389590.jpg

This is the half set from this week-shocking! So disappointed!

Please help lol xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389364456.225255.jpg

This was my first set before & after & after 3hrs used 12 & 13's should have done 11 & 12's

Hi girls sorry for the late responses!
I just had a look at the pics uploaded I'm sorry if this offends at all but you should really not be charging your clients yet if anything charge them to cover just your product. Family and friends is your best option everyone wants free or cheap beauty! PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

I used a lot of free advertising websites its called gumtree in Australia and social media helped build my clientele massively, in the end beauty is all word of mouth if you are passionate at what you do others will recognise that and come to you, DON'T GIVE UP!

Some advise I can give you from what I can see is you definitely need stronger glue what is happening is when you attach your lashes the drying time is taking so long that by the time you move on to the next lash the last lash has fallen over with my glue all I do is dip the lash in so it makes a little bulb at the end and wiggle it up and down the lash until you feel it starting to grab. Also make sure you are always pushing the lashes to face forward not out towards threats you will have a much better effect.

I have a supplier in Melbourne, Australia who orders her glue from Korea IT IS THE BEST GLUE IN THE WORLD!! And I get it and an amazing price feel free to pm me and I will give you details.

If you have any questions just ask xx

Renee xx Eye Candy xx

Also Lalalayla
My job is entirely home based :) xx

Is Sky Glue from Korea? Think I read it somewhere. Great thread. Lots of fab advice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have no idea but the best glues are the more expensive ones from Korea in my opinion

Latest posts

Back