Disposing of waste?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Heart

Reaction score
Just wondering what method of waste disposal other mobile therapists use, especially the after wax waste.

Hmm, not my field (Barber), but I would guess grease trap perhaps? Just a shot in the dark....

For waxing waste double bagging will do. So take a small new rubbish bag in for each client , tie a knot in it before leaving their house and then seal in another bag when you get back to your car.
[emoji4]

I bought a roll of the clear bread bags they cheap as chips and I dispose of all my waste per client in each bag then ask the client to chuck it away or if I don't know them that well, I would take hat bag and dispose at home .

My council said I have to have my wax waste taken away by company as it would need to be incinerated due to potential contamination by blood and other bodily fluids.

Wax taken away by a company? What about the millions of people waxing with home kits? What about if my son gets a nose bleed and I put tissues on the bin?? World gone mad...just be sensible...bag it up and bin it xx

I trained in waxing years ago and stopped offering it shortly after. Just not my thing.

When I was training we were told that our local council said if there was more than 2 therapists in the business then we had to pay to get the waste taken away. One person and it could be put, double bagged, in the general waste.

Check with your council as I think it probably varies.

Wax taken away by a company? What about the millions of people waxing with home kits? What about if my son gets a nose bleed and I put tissues on the bin?? World gone mad...just be sensible...bag it up and bin it xx

When I had my salon I had to purchase clinical waste bags and then orange general waste bags from the council in order to have waste taken away, I think a business has to abide by different rules than a consumer. As a mobile therapist I have always asked the client to get rid of it. When I contacted the council recently to acquire permission to work from home, I was asked how I get rid of the wax waste now. when I told him my clients get rid of it, he was not happy and said I had to use a company that incinerates clinical waste and that I could be fined if I was found to be disposing of it by other means.

I have worked in three salons over 19 years and all of them had to purchase clinical waste bags and orange waste bags from the council. Although I have had permission to work from home (as long as I comply with a list of conditions), I also have to contact them again prior to starting as they need to come and see my set up and check that I am complying with Health & Safety. If I do not comply I could be shut down. I do not want to risk being shut down, or fined. I don't know where to go from here. Those clinical and waste bags are expensive.

I just found this thread from 2007, they seem to have been told the same back then. http://www.salongeek.com/threads/disposing-of-wax-strips.50380/

Hmm, not my field (Barber), but I would guess grease trap perhaps? Just a shot in the dark....

Thank you, I meant wax waste as in wax for waxing legs etc.

I am a mobile waxer, I bag up the waste and ask the client to dispose of it in their usual household waste. No one has had an issue with it.

I am a mobile waxer, I bag up the waste and ask the client to dispose of it in their usual household waste. No one has had an issue with it.

Have you ever spoken to your local council about it? Are they aware that you do not use clinical waste bags? From looking into this more, as a business we are not supposed to disposing of it in domestic waste. I would check with your council, if like mine you can get fined it is not worth the risk.

Have you ever spoken to your local council about it? Are they aware that you do not use clinical waste bags? From looking into this more, as a business we are not supposed to disposing of it in domestic waste. I would check with your council, if like mine you can get fined it is not worth the risk.
I did check with my local council and i couldn't find anything about it unless i had a premises, which i don't. If i had a salon or building then i would have to use a company to dispose of the waste.

I did check with my local council and i couldn't find anything about it unless i had a premises, which i don't. If i had a salon or building then i would have to use a company to dispose of the waste.

Obviously different councils have different rules to follow, as mine insisted I purchase clinical waste bags.

yes dfferent councils different rules.
Mine council have different rules deending on if sole trader or other.
I dont hav to ay business rates either as i use a room within my home which is used for other purposes too. (washing machine in it). Rates and costs really fo very quite a lot depending on council or bourough. I would also get written confirmation of anything said over the ohne as well.

Latest posts

Back