Do all LED lamps emit the same light intensity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I'm jusppt wondering about LED lamps and I know each lamp is recommended to be used with its own brand but what I'm thinking is, do all LED lamps emit the same light intensity/wattage (maybe thats not the right term) ? For example with a UV lamp you would have a 9W, 18W, 36W but with LED lamps they are never referred to with a wattage. Does this mean they all have the same amount of LED lights inside? Xx

No they don't. LED bulbs come in different sizes (even as small as a grain of rice although these wouldn't be used in a nail lamp, it's just an example) plus there are different numbers of bulbs in different configurations. E.g the 4 finger lamps and the whole hand lamps (without even getting into the tiny retail versions!!) As is all nail lamps the distance from the nail is an important factor hence the variety of configuration and reflectors. They all try to get maximum exposure of UV onto each nail and all its curves.

The LED UV emit a much narrower wavelength band than other types of UV light sources so the photoinitiators in the product need to be compatible with this

I believe we should leave it to the manufacturers to tell us what is compatible. Many UV gels and gel polishes are generic and have a broad band photo initiators so these are the ones that any UV lam will do. However, companies that do not carry out their own R&D often make a guess at this which is a bit worrying!

Thanks for your help, lamps are a complicated business :) x

Latest posts

Back