Do any of you do a quick file at end of gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it ok to give a small file after the gel polish process for a better finish or would it break the seal?

Sometimes I see a ridge or uneven finish and I'm tempted to file it, but I'm thinking it might break the seal and that's prob not the best idea!

Just want your advice xx

The seal is aesthetic. It will naturally wear away after a few days anyway. If you want to do a gentle perfecting file with a 240 then fine.

But is it necessary because your application was thick or uneven? Or just you're being a perfectionist?

My point is you should have already filed and so needing to do so directly after treatment should be a real rarity. But equally you can advise clients they can file nails between treatments as long as they use the right grit & technique - no sawing.

As usual, Willow is right :)

Is the seal not needed then? I thought without capping the edges the polish would peel away. I hate the ends capped on extensions and always want to file it off

The seal (cap) on gel polish is simply so the ends are the same colour, and you don't see "nail" on the very tips.

After thinking about it and having a quick research I'm pretty sure it's because gel can shrink back when being cured and also because it will peel back if not capped

Never filed after GELeration and never seen my friend do it who does Shellac - always ensure all prepped and good to go before applying gel ...

"I always teach my clients how to maintain the length of their nails which really helps them to avoid going for too long and breaking them. The important thing is HOW the client is filing. Must be at a 45º angle to the free edge not a blunt 90º angle.

I myself file my own Shellacked nails every 5 days or so to maintain the length of them or they get too long for me! My filing them does not make them peel. Why should filing them make them peel or cause any problem at all?"

Former distributor of CND, author of nail class & mother of Samantha Sweet... Gigi Rouse.

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/file-nails-after-gel-polish.301874/

To avoid the lip I cap first then do the application, works for me! [emoji1]

Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back