Do cheaper lamps work with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i know!
$450 from local supplier and $500 from US including postage.
I picked up an IBD UV one for $170, and it isn't great, doesnt seem to cure the thumbs, but in saying that, i think clients hands seem to creep up from the finger spots, so will look in to that again.
I just priced a mini LED lamp for Gelish, and. ...... $70!!!!!!!!
So I've organised to sell off all my shellac colours (not base and top, i use that with IBD. I know. ..i know. ...).
The shellac is so much more expensive, and the cost of the lamp is ludicrous. So instead of just sticking to what I've been doing for 5 years with no dramas, i almost feel brainwashed against using a generic lamp lol.
I'll just dump the whole shellac range and stick with IBD and Gelish.
Funny how things work in reverse, i started off thinking of getting the CND lamp eventually, but it's too expensive for the same result.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

CND have a new LED lamp about to come out so don't waste your money on a UV one !

CND have a new LED lamp about to come out so don't waste your money on a UV one !

They've been talking about this for at least two years. Is there evidence that it is imminent?

This may earn a tsk, tsk and a "snort in derision" comment :) but I'm going to say it: I buy cheap. My insurance does not dictate that I must buy the lamp for each product used. I am able to buy the generic UV lamp (amazon) and use it. And yes, it cures quite nicely. I've done hard gels, soft gels, polish gels, painter gels--all cure within two minutes in my nice, cheap, pink, generic UV lamp. It's a 9 watt lamp too.

I do not bend over backwards nor do I feel guilty not buying into every single thing a company sells. I am all about saving as much as I can (as long as it does not damage my clients nails, though). I buy in bulk and I buy as low a cost as possible.

And I do not feel the least bit guilty doing so. So yes, I do feel that the cheaper lamps can work. I think you just have to research them just as well as you do anything else AND follow instructions.

But that's just me. I've heard some companies have "specially formulated" their stuff to work with only their stuff, but I've yet to run into this. When I do, I deal but for now, I don't have the money to spend on a $400 lamp just for gel nails.

Likewise, I suspect insurance/rules may be different for you guys than it is for me. This is evident with the terminology you guys use. What do you consider "shellac"? I know from my research, that we don't call it shellac, just gel polish and regular polish. I also know we cannot use terms like "diamond nails" or "solar nails" because those do not actually exist--diamond is just acrylic and Solar is a brand name.

So my response is based on how it might work here. I know I saw other Americans, I'd be interested to know what they think on this.

Last edited:
This may earn a tsk, tsk and a "snort in derision" comment :) but I'm going to say it: I buy cheap. My insurance does not dictate that I must buy the lamp for each product used. I am able to buy the generic UV lamp (amazon) and use it. And yes, it cures quite nicely. I've done hard gels, soft gels, polish gels, painter gels--all cure within two minutes in my nice, cheap, pink, generic UV lamp. It's a 9 watt lamp too.

I do not bend over backwards nor do I feel guilty not buying into every single thing a company sells. I am all about saving as much as I can (as long as it does not damage my clients nails, though). I buy in bulk and I buy as low a cost as possible.

And I do not feel the least bit guilty doing so. So yes, I do feel that the cheaper lamps can work. I think you just have to research them just as well as you do anything else AND follow instructions.

But that's just me. I've heard some companies have "specially formulated" their stuff to work with only their stuff, but I've yet to run into this. When I do, I deal but for now, I don't have the money to spend on a $400 lamp just for gel nails.

Likewise, I suspect insurance/rules may be different for you guys than it is for me. This is evident with the terminology you guys use. What do you consider "shellac"? I know from my research, that we don't call it shellac, just gel polish and regular polish. I also know we cannot use terms like "diamond nails" or "solar nails" because those do not actually exist--diamond is just acrylic and Solar is a brand name.

So my response is based on how it might work here. I know I saw other Americans, I'd be interested to know what they think on this.

Shellac, with a capital S refers to CND Shellac which is a trademarked name. Anything else is refered to as simply gel polish or polish. Does your insurance not state in their small print that you must follow manufacturers insurance?

what happened to the 'sticky' on lamps that used to be at the top of the nail forum?

Shellac, with a capital S refers to CND Shellac which is a trademarked name. Anything else is refered to as simply gel polish or polish. Does your insurance not state in their small print that you must follow manufacturers insurance?

We don't have the kinds of rules you guys have, it seems. Yes, we should follow manufacturer advice, but it does not state we must "exclusively" use all the stuff exactly as they sell it. Meaning, we can be covered using a "generic" UV lamp as much as we are covered using the CND brand lamp. Elsewise, no one would be in business long if they had to purchase a UV lamp for every brand of polish or gel they used.

I'm guessing it really is a regional thing.

I always wondered the same, that it must be strict over the pond. I'm in Canada, my insurance just insures me for manicure and enhancements. There's no fine print or anything on my contract about lamps, manufacturers instructions etc. I use gelish but have an orly led lamp to cure as it was cheaper then the gelish 18g lamp

So in the case of CND where their instructions specifically state that their lamp must be used, does that not constitute following manufacturers instructions?

I know many gel polish companies state that any 36w lamp can be used, so it's obviously fine to use any generic lamp. But this thread is about CND Shellac and their directions are very clear.

I think it might have been? I just know there used to be a thread at the top which we could point any of these lamp debate threads at and close them off as it's been done to death over the years.

So in the case of CND where their instructions specifically state that their lamp must be used, does that not constitute following manufacturers instructions?

I know many gel polish companies state that any 36w lamp can be used, so it's obviously fine to use any generic lamp. But this thread is about CND Shellac and their directions are very clear.

I suspect, truly, it is a regional thing. ALL products, whether nail products or hair, or even art products, require you to use their stuff. ALL products out today for personal and professional use, say this.

Have you ever heard the saying CYA? It means Cover your A** and I suspect that is exactly what CND and other companies are doing when they make that claim.

Again, it is a regional thing. Like my Canadian neighbor above, my insurance says exactly as hers does. Even for CND. What CND is doing here is in the event that I get sued by a customer and said customer tries to sue CND as well, CND can then state "wait, did the tech follow OUR advice? If not, then the customer cannot sue US for at fault. It's all on the tech.".

That's exactly how it would play out here. It's a CYA issue and nothing more.

Oh really??
That's interesting. I hate to think what that would cost over here!

Girl after my own heart. Altho I've ditched my CND shellac now, I allowed the guilt to get to me. ..

We don't have the kinds of rules you guys have, it seems. Yes, we should follow manufacturer advice, but it does not state we must "exclusively" use all the stuff exactly as they sell it. Meaning, we can be covered using a "generic" UV lamp as much as we are covered using the CND brand lamp. Elsewise, no one would be in business long if they had to purchase a UV lamp for every brand of polish or gel they used.

I'm guessing it really is a regional thing.

You must be right.
I was given the 3rd degree by SG a while ago regarding my lamp, and was also informed that my insurance was worthless because of it.
I insisted that everything was checked out, because i was getting quite worried.
They thought i had a screw loose, and went through the policy word by word, i even showed him the post on salon geek regarding the CND vs Generic lamp, and he said it was just scare mongering. If what i had been doing for the previous 4 years was working, the insurance cover was valid, it doesn't have any bearing on anything.

You must be right.
I was given the 3rd degree by SG a while ago regarding my lamp, and was also informed that my insurance was worthless because of it.
I insisted that everything was checked out, because i was getting quite worried.
They thought i had a screw loose, and went through the policy word by word, i even showed him the post on salon geek regarding the CND vs Generic lamp, and he said it was just scare mongering. If what i had been doing for the previous 4 years was working, the insurance cover was valid, it doesn't have any bearing on anything.

It is all fear mongering. In an ideal world, we would all be able to use ALL Tammy Taylor or ALL CND.. who the heck can afford all of that? No, I suspect insurance companies know this and allow for a little leeway.

Of course, it is still Caveat Emptor here, you reap your own consequences but still...

I wonder if our insurance companies in the UK are so tight on thing like using the correct lamp for the system etc is because in the UK the hair & beauty industry is not regulated? So any joe bloggs can open a salon and start working on clients...just a thought as dont techs in the U.S. for example have to pay a yearly license fee and prove qualifications?

I wonder if our insurance companies in the UK are so tight on thing like using the correct lamp for the system etc is because in the UK the hair & beauty industry is not regulated? So any joe bloggs can open a salon and start working on clients...just a thought as dont techs in the U.S. for example have to pay a yearly license fee and prove qualifications?

My license is good for two years and I don't have to take continuing educations courses, just keep paying the fee to renew. But, any old tech can't just open up a salon. You have to have other licenses for tax, fictitious name, rent, etc... and you cannot even breath on a client with a service unless you are certified.

The beauty industry is regulated here, but I don't think it is as regulated as people think. I'm sure if I actually worried over it, I might find one or two insurance companies who were as strict but for the most part, it is all on you.

Latest posts

Back