Do cheaper lamps work with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you guys don't go to school to be a nail technician either, is that what you mean by not certified? Which, if the case, explains why you guys have certificates for all the products.

And it also explains why it is just the opposite for us. As well as explaining the extreme difference in opinion on lamp use and such. Now everything makes sense.

So you guys don't go to school to be a nail technician either, is that what you mean by not certified? Which, if the case, explains why you guys have certificates for all the products.

And it also explains why it is just the opposite for us. As well as explaining the extreme difference in opinion on lamp use and such. Now everything makes sense.

The professionals take a course but it's not mandatory to do any training for any part of the beauty industry.

There are various colleges that provide training but, mainly, it's the brands that offer it.

I don't think it's a difference of opinion, it's the differences in the way we've been trained.

I assume that your training wasn't brand specific so, most likely, covered everything on a more general scale.

My training, for example, was brand specific and therefore I got the more in depth information of the brand and product itself.

There's no need to train with each specific company, you can train once with one brand or, do a general course/training and then you're pretty much covered to use any brand/product.

You're right though, it does explain why we would have more product specific knowledge than a general knowledge of all things nail related... If that makes sense.

That's what I've been trying to say all along :D You guys HAVE to have certification. Ours just looks good and is for bragging rights (again, don't necessarily agree or disagree..just saying)..

I dont have to have certificates, Canadian remember? :p my province doesn't require certificates or even schooling. I was just mentioning that most people on here do certificates.

Personally, I go on courses because I want to offer the best service I can and I actually have all my certificates on display for clients to see. Whenever we talk, I mention the courses and having certificates. My clientele really appreciates it and they mention it all the time. I think its important to understand every product you use and I find courses fun and learning correct application is a bonus.

Anyways....:rolleyes:

Now it is all clear. Here, in the states, you MUST be licensed--as in, go to school for about two years--for anything dealing with the beauty industry. Then and only then, can you work in a salon. Brand certificates are giving ONLY if you train with that brand and only if you go to that brand's school.

And unless that school is set up to train for your license (such as Young or Tammy Taylor), then the only certification you get is in that product's specific thing. You do NOT get a license to work in a salon.

BUT, you can get that license at the brand's school IF they are set up for it. Oh and my license is only good for this state. If I move, I have to retrain and re-certify for that state's rules.

Depends on the state and area of expertise. Can't think of any state requiring 2 years for nails (Cosmetology maybe). IIRC Florida is about 6 weeks for nail.

I have seen both sides (regulation and non regulation) to be honest, one doesn't prevail. Different problems plague both sides.

Depends on the state and area of expertise. Can't think of any state requiring 2 years for nails (Cosmetology maybe). IIRC Florida is about 6 weeks for nail.

I have seen both sides (regulation and non regulation) to be honest, one doesn't prevail. Different problems plague both sides.

I'm doing my own nails, so I'm typing in shorthand. I went to school in 1993 and I spent 6 months in training for nails. Cosmetology is 18 months I think.

(but for the record, I did say beauty industry, not nails specifically)

I just check the school I graduated from: Programs and Courses / Cosmetology

It is now 13 months for Cosmetology and you are certified for nails. They don't even offer nails as a separate course anymore (but I have the license that says otherwise).

Things change so much. So very much (April Barron was my instructor when I was there).

I dont have to have certificates, Canadian remember? :p my province doesn't require certificates or even schooling. I was just mentioning that most people on here do certificates.

Personally, I go on courses because I want to offer the best service I can and I actually have all my certificates on display for clients to see. Whenever we talk, I mention the courses and having certificates. My clientele really appreciates it and they mention it all the time. I think its important to understand every product you use and I find courses fun and learning correct application is a bonus.

Anyways....:rolleyes:

I am in New Brunswick, Canada and I have to be licensed yearly by the Cosmetology association. I took a ten month full time course and a brutal final written and practical exam to become an esthetcian, certified in all things beauty and nails. Nail techs here take a 3 month course and the written and practical exam and adhere to the same licensing rules as I do.
Not all of Canada has the same rules.

I am in New Brunswick, Canada and I have to be licensed yearly by the Cosmetology association. I took a ten month full time course and a brutal final written and practical exam to become an esthetcian, certified in all things beauty and nails. Nail techs here take a 3 month course and the written and practical exam and adhere to the same licensing rules as I do.
Not all of Canada has the same rules.

If you read back I mention that not all of canada requires certificates, my province doesn't, but others do. I also said "Canadian remember?" meaning that she thought I was from the UK. All my posts have been based solely on my province, not on canada itself

Really am starting to get bored of the same accusations from the same person claiming that Shellac is 'just' a gel polish when, in fact, that's untrue.

It's not a regional thing, it's a global thing.

I'm in no way a CND cheerleader, I've actually just switched brands but, it's getting ridiculous that it's on every Shellac thread!

People come here for advice. Giving OPINIONS and stating that they're fact can actually damage not only a nail tech but, the industry as a whole.

Actually, Shellac is a gel polish like the rest of the gel polishes. It is a hybrid polish, and not the only one, but it is a gel polish (check the MSDS). I wouldn't say it is "just" a gel polish or that it is "just" like the others. Each brands has its unique attributes, and CND Shellac has quite a few, but it does belong in the broad category of gel polish. But I don't understand why that's seen as a negative.

Here in Massachusetts we have pretty strict regulation and it does help prevent some of the more egregious problems. Still, we have our share of unlicensed, untrained "nail techs" around, and we certainly have our share of NSS salons. But at least there is regulatory body that oversees the industry and responds to reported violations. After working with a variety of salons these past three years, I'd say that the lack of real education and the force of the almighty dollar still create a less safe environment in this business.

Actually, Shellac is a gel polish like the rest of the gel polishes. It is a hybrid polish, and not the only one, but it is a gel polish (check the MSDS). I wouldn't say it is "just" a gel polish or that it is "just" like the others. Each brands has its unique attributes, and CND Shellac has quite a few, but it does belong in the broad category of gel polish. But I don't understand why that's seen as a negative.

I look at it as the service goal; technically it may be different than many products used, but the purpose in the service is the same. So totally agree.

I'd say that the lack of real education and the force of the almighty dollar still create a less safe environment in this business.

Yup. But both professional and consumer are at fault here. One wants to save a penny with a cheap service and too often, one want to provide a cheap service by cutting corners. Its like a twin race to the bottom. The frustrating thing is that the cost to the professional for quality education and safe systems is marginal per service. Yet that marginal amount becomes the focal point.

I will fully concede to the fact that Nancy said it better, but this is all I was saying. Yes, I said "just" but that was more in derision at the way the discussion was going (as though I was not good enough because I used "just" a gel lamp and was being argumentative on this).

No, I wasn't. Shellac is just a gel, but like Nancy said, it may be a better gel. But as you said, The Geek, it's more about the service, which I don't have a problem with but I do have a problem saying that we cannot call it a service unless we use everything they offer.

I still think it the same old same old and that we don't need a mighty expensive lamp for it. BUT, we've already covered that as well. :D

Just glad i made the decision to drop Shellac because of the cost.
From the cost of the bottles to the CND lamp, over here it is ridiculous.
My clients aren't brand aware as such, they just want a polish that lasts, stays shiny, and is dry at the end of the service, with a good choice of colours.
I have my own beauty room in a retirement village, and as much as the residents love their beauty services, for most, their income is regulated. They just wouldn't justify spending an extra $10 on a 'Shellac' service, when a Gel Polish service 'looks' the same to them.
Ditto for my outside clients. I know this because i asked most of them their opinions about Shellac vs Gel polish. They couldn't care less.
For a while i was using my shellac colours while saving for a $450ish CND lamp, and use the generic one while i was saving.
The stupid thing is, i was quite happy with what i was doing, and so were my clients until I found Salon Geek. That's when the insecurities started. Altho this site has been a wealth of information and I've learnt so much, I've also seen the nasty side of people, and unfortunately from what I've read, the main instigators of relentless criticism are the die hard CND Shellac-ers, who insist that nobody knows as much, or cares as much as them.
And this is often from people that have obviously been around for a while and don't realise that their comments altho maybe to help, can be quite the opposite.
So for someone across the pond that thought eventually I'll be able to get myself a CND lamp so i can be as good as everyone else, I've had a reality check, realised i must be as good as everyone else.
Gel polish is my most popular service, and my clients know they have to rebook or i can't always fit them in that week. I'm now working 6 days a week til footy season starts (rugby league not soccer...lol).
So I've just sold my shellac colours and am bursting with excitement that i have a couple of hundred dollars to spend on new IBD and Gelish colours and they're so much cheaper as well!!!
Winning!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

The stupid thing is, i was quite happy with what i was doing, and so were my clients until I found Salon Geek. That's when the insecurities started. Altho this site has been a wealth of information and I've learnt so much, I've also seen the nasty side of people, and unfortunately from what I've read, the main instigators of relentless criticism are the die hard CND Shellac-ers, who insist that nobody knows as much, or cares as much as them.
And this is often from people that have obviously been around for a while and don't realise that their comments altho maybe to help, can be quite the opposite.
So for someone across the pond that thought eventually I'll be able to get myself a CND lamp so i can be as good as everyone else, I've had a reality check, realised i must be as good as everyone else.

I think I love you. ;)

For the record, those types of people exist everywhere. Die hard homeschoolers who insist you are neglecting your child unless you use only this curriculum...

Just know that I appreciate what you just said and I am glad I have someone who understands me. Thank you.

I agree that there are many on this board who are totally taken with CND and Shellac and they can be difficult to deal with. I have been a target of their wrath and it hurts. But I do think they have one important point - if you're going to use CND Shellac, use it properly, i.e., according to manufacturer's instructions.

Although it is a great and innovative product, Shellac is not the only, or even the best gel polish out there. I think one of the issues is that it was one of the first, and certainly the most effectively marketed gel polish. Back then, when there weree only 2-3 gel polishes and the existing UV lamps were cheap and generic, CND's strictures kind of made sense. But as the gel market grew, CND did not adjust and has since lost market share as it has insisted on its own lamp, failed to put out enough varied colors, and failed to make Shellac an LED polish. I gave up on CND Shellac years ago because of these factors, but I'd like to go back, it's a great product.

So, congratulations on looking into other good brands and finding some that work for you. Gelish is great (but watch the fade) and IBD (and sister brands TruGel and ProGel) is good, and at a great price point. I've had a lot of fun trying new brands and discovered many that I love - Artistic Colour Gloss, LeChat, OPI, Jessica Geleration. So even as I am retiring from being actively in the business, I continue to enjoy playing with the newer products.

And for me, the beauty is that I CAN and do offer "shellac" because it is just another gel polish and we don't (or most salons I have seen, even the fancier ones) do this "CND certified Shellac" business you guys over the pond seem to do (or need to do or are told to do?).

I was looking it up and my thought was confirmed, we do NOT have to use CND light with CND polish to be able to use CND stuff in our salon. That truly must be a regional thing.

And for the American in this discussion who said you cannot offer the service if you don't have everything --I am seriously not sure why you would even offer it as a "service". It's just gel polish. I just say I use gel polish and I have different colors, which color do you want?

It really does not make a hill of beans to my clients or even my area. :D

We don't here in NZ.
There is no real insurance thing here, as legally you cannot sue. So it's very different here... you can go out to any number of local suppliers who will sell you Shellac polish and it's related product without even asking if you are certified to do anything with nails!
They are selling it to beauty therapists to do after manicures and they have no real nail training of any form whatsoever.

There is no requirement for me to use the Shellac lamp to offer Shellac. But knowing that they believe their lamp is the only lamp to offer a guaranteed cure, and the fact that they are pricing it at such a huge markup (obvious by the difference in price in the US vs NZ) they are simply using it as a money spinner, which gives me less respect for the company, and less inclination to use it.
I can see their point in recommending their lamp... but what I can't stomach is the profit margins!
I just can't see why they do that, when there are so many great brands, equally as good as Shellac and with more extensive ranges and flexibility of use at much lower price points.
They say you get what you pay for, but I've been watching some clients who are very hard on their nails, enjoying 14-21 days of super shiny, chip free, fade free beautiful nails with IBD's Just Gel, so honestly. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth!

Incidentally, I was at the mall yesterday and the nail place (Asian owned) was charging $20 for a "Shellac Service". I regret not asking what they meant by that (mall was hugely busy) but I did not see any CND polish on any polish rack they had.

But, there were four salons in this mall, 3 with nails (one of which was a full nail salon) and all offered "Shellac Services".

We don't here in NZ.
There is no real insurance thing here, as legally you cannot sue. So it's very different here... you can go out to any number of local suppliers who will sell you Shellac polish and it's related product without even asking if you are certified to do anything with nails!
They are selling it to beauty therapists to do after manicures and they have no real nail training of any form whatsoever.

There is no requirement for me to use the Shellac lamp to offer Shellac. But knowing that they believe their lamp is the only lamp to offer a guaranteed cure, and the fact that they are pricing it at such a huge markup (obvious by the difference in price in the US vs NZ) they are simply using it as a money spinner, which gives me less respect for the company, and less inclination to use it.
I can see their point in recommending their lamp... but what I can't stomach is the profit margins!
I just can't see why they do that, when there are so many great brands, equally as good as Shellac and with more extensive ranges and flexibility of use at much lower price points.
They say you get what you pay for, but I've been watching some clients who are very hard on their nails, enjoying 14-21 days of super shiny, chip free, fade free beautiful nails with IBD's Just Gel, so honestly. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth!

I found the same thing withmy insurer regarding shellac/gel polish and the lamp i used.
I was assessed twice. Once with my insurer checking cords, and that there was no double adapters, and i actually asked about the branded lamp. There was no problem using my lamp as long as i could prove it was bought in Australia.
Then i was assessed through Lend Lease, a huge company that has just bought the retirement village i work out of. They were more interested in what sort of chemicals i have, eg acetone and how they were stored.
I did everything possible to give them the chance to tell me i was uninsurable due to the lamp i used, but I passed with flying colours.
That was going through Zurich insurance too.
So i guess it depends what country you live in, as to what your coverage is like.
Also, i checked with my local supplier yesterday, and they have CND lamps reduced to $399 at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi there 😊 May I ask where you were able to sell your shellac colours? I tried ebay but I was pulled up for it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back