Do cheaper lamps work with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just glad i made the decision to drop Shellac because of the cost.
From the cost of the bottles to the CND lamp, over here it is ridiculous.
My clients aren't brand aware as such, they just want a polish that lasts, stays shiny, and is dry at the end of the service, with a good choice of colours.
I have my own beauty room in a retirement village, and as much as the residents love their beauty services, for most, their income is regulated. They just wouldn't justify spending an extra $10 on a 'Shellac' service, when a Gel Polish service 'looks' the same to them.
Ditto for my outside clients. I know this because i asked most of them their opinions about Shellac vs Gel polish. They couldn't care less.
For a while i was using my shellac colours while saving for a $450ish CND lamp, and use the generic one while i was saving.
The stupid thing is, i was quite happy with what i was doing, and so were my clients until I found Salon Geek. That's when the insecurities started. Altho this site has been a wealth of information and I've learnt so much, I've also seen the nasty side of people, and unfortunately from what I've read, the main instigators of relentless criticism are the die hard CND Shellac-ers, who insist that nobody knows as much, or cares as much as them.
And this is often from people that have obviously been around for a while and don't realise that their comments altho maybe to help, can be quite the opposite.
So for someone across the pond that thought eventually I'll be able to get myself a CND lamp so i can be as good as everyone else, I've had a reality check, realised i must be as good as everyone else.
Gel polish is my most popular service, and my clients know they have to rebook or i can't always fit them in that week. I'm now working 6 days a week til footy season starts (rugby league not soccer...lol).
So I've just sold my shellac colours and am bursting with excitement that i have a couple of hundred dollars to spend on new IBD and Gelish colours and they're so much cheaper as well!!!
Winning!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

If you can afford it now (and if you are moving away from Shellac), definitely get an LED lamp. It really is much faster, it's cheaper in the long run, it's one less chore to do, and it's more environmentally friendly. I don't know anyone who's gone LED who would go back.

Incidentally, I was at the mall yesterday and the nail place (Asian owned) was charging $20 for a "Shellac Service". I regret not asking what they meant by that (mall was hugely busy) but I did not see any CND polish on any polish rack they had.

But, there were four salons in this mall, 3 with nails (one of which was a full nail salon) and all offered "Shellac Services".

The asian nail bar near our hair salon, uses Shellac and charges a pittance for it. But I know they are parallel importing.
Whether it's genuine or not I'm unsure, but it's labelled CND Shellac.
I know it's not from NZ though as while we were there getting pedicures, they got a shipment of gel in and they had a mixed box of OPI Gel and Shellac. Which wouldn't happen from the NZ Suppliers as OPI re a totally different supplier to CND! And even all the 'other' wholesalers of Shellac, don't have access to OPI as OPI has a sole distributorship in NZ. No one else supplies it.

If you can afford it now (and if you are moving away from Shellac), definitely get an LED lamp. It really is much faster, it's cheaper in the long run, it's one less chore to do, and it's more environmentally friendly. I don't know anyone who's gone LED who would go back.

Oh really?
I definitely will!
Our local supplier has an IBD LED lamp with a starter pack of some sort. Will check out the prices tomorrow.
Glad you mentioned the LED lamp, didn't know whether to look at it or not. The lamp I'm using is on its way out, the cord is just hanging in there. I know i can get a Gelish mini for $70 but you have to cure the thumbs separately. Just thinking that it'll send me bonkers doing that! !
Thanks so much NancySyd, you're always full of good advice

Does anyone use the IBD LED lamp?
My supplier has that lamp and a starter kit for $xxx (i have most of the colours but it's valued at $200 just on its own)
Or
The Gelish 18g lamp is $499 on its own with no product online from the Australian supplier
Or
The Gelish mini is $70 from another local supplier. I'd have to remember to cure the thumbs separately. ...
:-/
I'm using IBD and Gelish at the moment, and loving both for different reasons.
Any advice?
Have heard many people rave about the 18g, but haven't heard anything about the IBD LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why electricians are taking apart the light. It is the bulbs. All i know is that in a salon where there are 5 nail techs here. The two that use the CND light are getting better results. One tech is using an LED. And since they are too stubborn to see my no chips (as being certified in Shellac) are coming back after three weeks with no chips and they have people coming back in a week for repairs.

Plus i noticed that they tell clients that they should switch back and forth between OPI no-chip and shellac for better results. They say that the nail get used to the product. I have never had that issue so i can only assume it is there service or lamp.

I don't know why electricians are taking apart the light. It is the bulbs. All i know is that in a salon where there are 5 nail techs here. The two that use the CND light are getting better results. One tech is using an LED. And since they are too stubborn to see my no chips (as being certified in Shellac) are coming back after three weeks with no chips and they have people coming back in a week for repairs.

Plus i noticed that they tell clients that they should switch back and forth between OPI no-chip and shellac for better results. They say that the nail get used to the product. I have never had that issue so i can only assume it is there service or lamp.

That's worrying since CND Shellac™ isn't LED curable! As for their advice to clients they sound like they have made it up...oh dear 😳

I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for what I'm about to say, as anyone who reads my bio will discover I'm not a nail tech, I just enjoy doing my own nails and read/learning about the many aspects of the nail tech world. I'm a pretty smart person and I like to think I've been blessed with good old fashion common sense. With that said:
Let's take all other factors out of the equation and just look at these lamps from a common sense stand point. Doesn't Doug Schoon work for CND, so he is hardly impartial. Bottom line is, of course every company is going to tell you to only use their curing lamps, that's how they make money. If you choose to use a lamp purely to stay branded fine but how many nail techs really know anything about the electrical parts inside or what spectrum/wavelength etc.... each individual lamp gives off. I would be willing to bet most nail techs use the lamp that goes with each system because that's what they are told by each company to do. And if they take the time to read the research information provided by said company, as to why they should use their recommended lamp, is anyone really surprised the findings will show their lamp is the best.
I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, to each his own and maybe differing viewpoints should agree to disagree because wasn't this whole site set up to inform/educate and build up other women who have the same passion as y

Last edited:
We run a very busy nail studio with 3 full time nail techs doing on average 13 shellacs each per day..On the week before christmas, one of our cnd lamps packed in (only had it a month) we rang cnd and they were out of stock and said it would take a few weeks to get a new one! So i went to capital and bought a standard lamp. Its cures fully, no problems atall and its still going strong after 7 months!

I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for what I'm about to say, as anyone who reads my bio will discover I'm not a nail tech, I just enjoy doing my own nails and read/learning about the many aspects of the nail tech world. I'm a pretty smart person and I like to think I've been blessed with good old fashion common sense. With that said:
Let's take all other factors out of the equation and just look at these lamps from a common sense stand point. Doesn't Doug Schoon work for CND, so he is hardly impartial. Bottom line is, of course every company is going to tell you to only use their curing lamps, that's how they make money. If you choose to use a lamp purely to stay branded fine but how many nail techs really know anything about the electrical parts inside or what spectrum/wavelength etc.... each individual lamp gives off. I would be willing to bet most nail techs use the lamp that goes with each system because that's what they are told by each company to do. And if they take the time to read the research information provided by said company, as to why they should use their recommended lamp, is anyone really surprised the findings will show their lamp is the best.
I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, to each his own and maybe differing viewpoints should agree to disagree because wasn't this whole site set up to inform/educate and build up other women who have the same passion as y

Another pointless post from someone who isn't fully trained and Insured.

If you were, you would understand that the real issue to be concerned with, is not about whether other lamps cure the products being used.

If you do not follow manufacturer's instructions (which tell you to use their lamp) and a client complains that their gel polish isn't lasting, how can you prove that it isn't you who is causing the service breakdown by using a generic lamp or one intended for another brand?

Even more worryingly, suppose your client develops an allergic reaction to the gel? She's suffered blisters and itching and has been told by her GP that the gel nails have caused this.

Client decides to sue for compensation because she has suffered actual physical harm (blisters and itching...possibly serious facial swelling in some cases). Assuming you are trained and insured, your insurance company will investigate the case and discover you weren't using the branded lamp, (clients can read logo's and if shown a picture of a CND lamp, they will certainly be able to spot the difference!).

Your insurance company will refuse to cover your defence costs and you will be left with a crippling bill.

It will be all over social media and spell the end of your career as a Nail Tech.

Putting it simply, you follow manufacturer's instructions because they're there to protect you, ultimately.

I use a $20 uv lamp and it works just fine.

But you live in Australia!

The whole compensation culture is quite different here in Western Europe and proper insurance cover is vital if you don't want to be bankrupt.

You THINK it works just fine. The truth is that you have no way to know whether you've gotten a proper cure or not. You are "curing to the eye" as Doug Schoon calls it.

You THINK it works just fine. The truth is that you have no way to know whether you've gotten a proper cure or not. You are "curing to the eye" as Doug Schoon calls it.

I dont get any service breakdown and in fact i used to use a cnd lamp but accidently dropped it and smashed a globe. I bought a cheap uv lamp as i had a client and needed one in a hurry and the globes from the cheaper one fit in my cnd lamp. So as many of you are unaware- A cnd lamp is the SAME as a cheaper lamp. Its just the outer casing thats different. A lamp is only as good as the bulbs you put in it.

Finally someone who gets it!!!! A nail lamp is only as good as the bulbs you put in it. It doesnt matter what brand sticker that has been slapped on it

I dont get any service breakdown and in fact i used to use a cnd lamp but accidently dropped it and smashed a globe. I bought a cheap uv lamp as i had a client and needed one in a hurry and the globes from the cheaper one fit in my cnd lamp. So as many of you are unaware- A cnd lamp is the SAME as a cheaper lamp. Its just the outer casing thats different. A lamp is only as good as the bulbs you put in it.

Look, you're free to use whatever lamp you want to; it's your business. But don't deny the science behind this. While bulbs are a critical part of a lamp (and most generic lamps do not use the same bulbs as name brand light, that's one way to cut costs), there are lots of other design elements that make one lamp better than another - a CND (or IBD or Gelish) lamp is not the same as a cheaper lamp. Again, you THINK you've got a proper cure because you're not aware of service breakdown, but you don't really know. In truth none of us do, we trust that if we've followed he instructions, it will be a proper cure.

When you have your regulars coming back every 2/3 even 4 weeks,you know its curing properly! X

When you have your regulars coming back every 2/3 even 4 weeks,you know its curing properly! X

Look, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use a cheap lamp. What I am saying is don't say you know something you don't. There is no easily accessible means of determining a proper cure. Everything else is guesswork. Hopefully, you guess correctly, but you don't KNOW. That's not acceptable to my insurance company.

I'm not trying to re-start the lamp debate, I just want us to be honest about what we do, what we know, and why. When we use cheap lamps, or we use counterfeit products, there are consequences, often unseen.

Look, you're free to use whatever lamp you want to; it's your business. But don't deny the science behind this. While bulbs are a critical part of a lamp (and most generic lamps do not use the same bulbs as name brand light, that's one way to cut costs), there are lots of other design elements that make one lamp better than another - a CND (or IBD or Gelish) lamp is not the same as a cheaper lamp. Again, you THINK you've got a proper cure because you're not aware of service breakdown, but you don't really know. In truth none of us do, we trust that if we've followed he instructions, it will be a proper cure.
Explain to me how a cnd lamp is different to a cheaper lamp. You said theyre not the same so tell me how? I dont "think" my clients nails are cured, i KNOW they are. They have NO service breakdown! You clearly said that no one knows if they have a proper cure or not so its probably best you stop saying cnd lamps are different because as you clearly stated- " no one knows"

A little quote from Doug Schoon.

"So many things affect the way a UV lamp works. The electronic components, the manufacturer of the bulb, the distance of the bulb to the fingers are just a few. The electronics are probably one of the most important. You can put the same bulb in two different brands of light and get different UV outputs."

Latest posts

Back