Do I need to do NVQ3 at college to work in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhiannonmarie

Reaction score
I'm debating wether I want to carry on next year onto level 3 hairdressing, so I was wondering wether I can get a job in a salon with level 2 qualifications?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you would be employed at first as a junior stylist with or without level 3.

Posted via Mobile Device

yeah from what wer'r told at college after level 2 you would be lookin at junior stylist positions, but, and i think it just depends on the salon, i have seen advertised stylist positions asking for level 2

Whether you are level 2 or 3 if you have no salon experience you start as a junior stylist. All the level 3 would do is help you progress faster.

Ahh its good to hear thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Level 3 is desirable now on the basis that men's hair (half the population) is only taught at level 3. Salons will employ level 2 but I have to admit they are very limited as to what they can do. I stopped employing level 2's when a young stylist refused to clippercut a young boy's hair saying that she wasnt qualified. I had to stand there and do it while she went and read a magazine in the staff room. NOT the way things should be.

is it alarming that my ex boss paid for me to do my level 3 at a private college (costing £100 a month for 18 months) and I didn't do mens hair? Looking into a barbering course as I'm competent at guys hair but was never taught how to use clippers (i would rather do scissor over comb but obviously there are some things you can't achieve with your scissors!!)

really? thats even worse. You MUST be able to cut EVERYONES hair. There is no way it should be an option or a seperate course.

When male clients have come into our college salon we've been shown the techniques to cut their hair and we've been taught how to use clippers, there are also barbering courses at college but my tutor said there trying to incorperate as much of it as they can
Posted via Mobile Device

I definitely know how to cut mens hair but this is just down to training through the salon...through the college it was drummed into us "this is ladies hairdressing, not barbering" NONE of our clients were allowed to be men, not even scissor over comb or clipper over comb. I had so much fun trying to find a female model for that!!!!

Only since working with the college in our area with my girl on college placement have i realised that its not all that bad! was drummed into me that private college is the only way to go but now i know my ex boss paid probably between £3000 and £4000 on my training...I would have liked to have some form of qualification in mens hair.

Level 3 for me was more about building confidence. i did learn a lot but most of it was through me asking questions which were not related to the coursework!!! x

We have optional assesments on doing beard trims etc I think it all just depends on wether we get the clients!
Posted via Mobile Device

When male clients have come into our college salon we've been shown the techniques to cut their hair and we've been taught how to use clippers, there are also barbering courses at college but my tutor said there trying to incorperate as much of it as they can
Posted via Mobile Device

i'll be starting my level 3 in sept and that doesnt involve barbering although the college does offer barbering as an optional evening course which i think i might go for as well. i think it is quiet weird that we dont do much in the way of gents in level 2, and that we wont be doing it for level 3 but as someone said before they do drum into us too that its a LADIES hairdressing course even though last year when i did my level 1 we had a basic barbering unit?!

bronzebrunette...what college do you go to? im looking to do a barbering course and evenings would be good for me...thx x

In my area they dont do mens in level 3 either but i am an employer and personaly i wouldnt employ a level 2, level 2 is just basic hairdressing level three is more advanced cuts colouring, colour correction and hair up. Hope this helps xx

bronzebrunette...what college do you go to? im looking to do a barbering course and evenings would be good for me...thx x

its james watt in greenock im at just now and they offer an evening barbering course, but ive actually been looking at central in glasgow as they do NQ barbering 1 evening a week 6-9

really? thats even worse. You MUST be able to cut EVERYONES hair. There is no way it should be an option or a seperate course.

Not only do they not teach mens hair on level 2 & 3 but now perming is not included and is an optional unit.
I have a work based learner and her assessor keeps trying to talk her out of the perming unit. I have made it explicitly clear that to have a job at the end of she needs her perming.
Mens hair you can get around and I am lucky to have a stylist that is an exceptional mens stylist so my 'newbies' can observe her.
I think the standards are pretty poor now. I would not be interested in employing anyone who was not willing to work towards their level 3. I always suggest to my stylists to pass level 2, do a year on the salon floor, then do level 3. That, I feel, is the best way to get the most from the level 3 qualification.

completely agree we had someone work based and her trainer was encourouging her not to do perming but im sorry you cant be a complete hairdresser without it we do quite a few perms in our salon aswell.

Latest posts

Back