Do people do this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 10/0 and 6% in wella. Its only on for 10 mins so it slightly lifts. Ive used 10/1 and 10/16 but its never on long enough to benefit from the neutralising tone. Turns out just the same as 10/0.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

wouldn't wella sunlights do the same job and be better for the hair?

Sunlights is perfect for this x

My clients love it because for some people that get foils done, the roots still look way too contrasting and can look as if they are already due for another foil. This helps to soften the root so that it is less contrasting. Just make sure to ask because some blondes dont like that it adds a bit of warmth.
Also I do this in between their foil appointments. Usually I do a foil with base break then six weeks later I only do a base break then the next appointment I do foil with base break again. This helps the client because the base break makes it seem like they dont need a foil just yet and can go a bit longer.. My formulas are always specific to clients hair so I wont give that out..

My clients love it because for some people that get foils done, the roots still look way too contrasting and can look as if they are already due for another foil. This helps to soften the root so that it is less contrasting. Just make sure to ask because some blondes dont like that it adds a bit of warmth.
Also I do this in between their foil appointments. Usually I do a foil with base break then six weeks later I only do a base break then the next appointment I do foil with base break again. This helps the client because the base break makes it seem like they dont need a foil just yet and can go a bit longer.. My formulas are always specific to clients hair so I wont give that out..

How do you charge for it and do you apply at basin?

I charge for a root touchup. I personally do it in my chair but some do it at the sink.

If you did this in a client that had quite a dark base would it not throw a lot of orange tones?

I sell this named as "bright lights" Redken 10AV chromatics with 10vol on for about 10mins over the whole root area after say half head of foils looks minty I love it and so do my clients! I charge $35 if on top of foils! Keep an eye on it tho! Looking forward to trying the clear this week after being told by education rep from Redken!

If you did this in a client that had quite a dark base would it not throw a lot of orange tones?

In my experience it will only release the underlying natural pigments if you leave on for to long, generally you will only get a half shade to a shades lift without any yellow depending on the clients hair, doesn't seem like a lot but makes a huge difference!

I do this. As others have said - it softens the roots a bit after highlighting. Normally use 9/0 with 20vol for 5 minutes at the basin after shampoo, before conditioning

My friend got this ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393301081.933743.jpgBur wanted this ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393301097.477367.jpg (not my work)
Could I fix it by doing a base break as she wanted a 5 level root with those colour foils
Say 9.0+20vol base break
And toner the foils with a caramel 7/8level (haven't decided that yet will need to talk to her)

Main concern is this a base break customer?

Ps she hates it :/ they used bleach + high lift it is a very cheap yellow blonde 😓

I think the main problem are the highlights are too chunky and bold for the root area.
To me it rather looks like there has been some slight bleeding due to using high volume bleach (the gases create orange shadows).
But to get closer to her demanded look I would not base break. Instead I would diffuse and even out everything with fine bleached highlights and lowlights.
Afterwards I would apply a permanent haircolor to create more depth.
I guess she is a level 4 or a 5, so a flat 6 may lighten her base a bit and give the highlightes a rooted softness.
Be sure to smudge the base in a irregular way and comb it later to blend.
Good luck!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393320762.235634.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393320784.737187.jpg

Another photo.. Foils need to be evend I was going to do a couple of fine foils through the top but I also think by toning it down to a 7 level all over and lifting the inbetween to a 5 level wil make it more more even? She is about a level 3 half phillipino half Aussie

Latest posts

Back