Do you have to be an artist to be a great nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam81

Reaction score
I was just lying in bed last night thinking about the nails I'd done on myself yesterday which I and wondering... I've never really got the hang of l&p, partly due to lack of willing models, partly due to not great training (which I'm hoping to rectify some time this year). I also think I don't really have 'the eye' for it. I thought mine were great when I'd finished but I keep looking at them now and finding every flaw, not perfect smile lines, a little bit I hadnt noticed over my cuticle which is now lifting of course. I think a really good set of nails is a little piece of art and I really admire a great set of pink & whites or people like Gemma Lambert who do amazing nail art. My question is, is this something that can be gained by further training and practice? Or is it something you just just need to be able to see and have a knack for?

Attachments

• Feather acrylics.jpg
    Feather acrylics.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 369
In my opinion, all you need is passion and practice.
I'm no artist but I'm passionate. So I enjoy the practice! It is challenging.
You need to stop picking out the flaws and look at the good you do!
I bet you have done more right than wrong. X
We will get there! How boring would it be if we got it right every time?

Hmmm... I think you should continue to pick out the flaws but make peace with yourself over them. You need to scrutinise your own work and pick out the flaws this is how you will progress and eventually do sets you are very proud of.

I also think you do need a certain amount of artistic/creative talent but mainly grim determination and perseverance and the will to be the best you can be. Even the best artists/athletes/actors/singers/people we admire the talents of have had training and continue to have lessons and they still need to practice,we just seem to assume they are born with it, Im also sure many of them always see where they can improve, this is what makes them the best at what they do. LOL

You will get there in the end,your passion for the job and the desire to improve is clearly evident otherwise you wouldnt be so bothered about the end result - this is a good thing you just need to work with it not beat yourself up over it. And never become complacent always keep looking for where you can improve, no matter how minimal that may be.

Now take a look at the good points you have achieved and build on them xx :)

Oh and just looked at your photo - they don't look too scrubby to me!

I cant draw, spell, I am clumsy as hell and have no patience or attention to detail in my reguar life, my house is never tidy, I am constantly knocking things over, am dyslexic, cant take directions when im driving anywhere but when it comes to nails and hair Im completely the opposite, it kind if hypnotises me. I am such a perfectionist, Im not saying im a great nail tech or hairdresser but for some reason when Im doing them im all delicate and patient, people always say to me, I dont know how you sit there its so fiddly! someone said when they were having their minx done the other day, "how do you do it? It would be out the window bye now if that was me". So no I dont think you have to be an artist in the regular form to be a nail tech xxx

Oh and just looked at your photo - they don't look too scrubby to me!

Thank you :) And thanks for everyone's responses, I feel a bit better now, there's hope for me yet!

I don't think you have to be a grete artist , you do need to be able to bend and create though , even if you do not do nail art .

I think being able to picture in your head what you want the end result to look like with every client and there individual needs & wants is needed ,

you need to understand form / shape / structure

and a basic knowledge of what colors will work with what .

nail art and the art of doing nails really are 2 very different things .

I meant yeah look at the job you have done objectively and improve on it, not ignore flaws. Sometimes we can be waaaay to hard on ourselves tho. It helped me to go to a psychologist and work on my thinking errors. I was way too hard on myself and I learned that confidence comes from being my own best friend.
The CBT helps me with clients and to speak to myself kindly so I have confidence. Some people might not understand where I'm coming from here but that's ok.

I do believe you need some artistic flare. That doesn't mean being great at sketches or a Picasso in the making. But you need to be able to create something beautiful.

Some people could have all the training in the world and not be a good nail tech. Some produce stunning nail art but the nail structure is plain awful and others produce gorgeous nails but cant wrap their head around art. Then you get the lucky ones that can do both!

If you cant be one of those lucky ones that do both, its much better to be great at the nail structure than it is to be great at the art...... the art does not bring in a huge income for most people as clients generally dont want to pay for it.

Its great that you are finding all the little flaws, when you stop critiquing your own work, you've stopped striving for better xxxxx

Honestly its all about how much you want it, plain and simple, no excuses, reasons. You don't have to be an artist. You don't need to be anything except that you need to want to do it. You already have an eye for picking out the flaws. And you said yourself you re going to get more training so just go and do it girl!!!
I used to do construction and heavy labour, and if i can do it i promise you can too.

I agree with everyone above, it's all about passion and determination. I can't draw to save my life...art used the bore the hell out of me and I was scared to go to class because I knew couldn't draw/paint. But now I absolutely nail art!! It's become my escape from the rest of the world...when im doing nails i forget about the rest of the world and it relaxes me. I had to practice a lot at first, had to get used to holding a brush etc, but with practice you will also get used to it. You will develop your own way of doing nails and will enjoy it. Don't be afraid to try new things...take a deep breath and go for it :) Good luck :)

I will never be a Gemma Lambet or an Angel Fingers or a George Smedely.
I can and do admire their work greatly, what they can do with 3d work is breath taking and it's not in me to produce work like that.
But a set of strong, elegant l&p nails, yes I can do that. I will always pick holes in my work, always feel a bit surprised when a client says wow! Thank you and tips me when I've looked at them and thought crikey, they could have been so much better.
There is nothing wrong with seeing the faults in your work, striving to produce better ones that's what makes you a nail stylist instead of a woman who works in a nail bar.
It becomes a problem if it stops you leaping in and charging a decent price to clients. Been there done that, why? Because I will never, in my own eyes be as good as Gigi Rouse. I've never seen her produce 3d work, what I've seen from her is perfectly shaped nails, time after time after time.
But my nails are nothing to be ashamed of and having seen yours, neither have you.
Your side walls are parallel, your proportion of pink and white is spot on, your line of light is pretty darn good.
I didn't see but you said you'd touched the skin, ok, 3rd bead, make it tiny, place it just behind where the second bead finished. Let it settle, hold your brush nearly flat to the nail and push the bead into place, then pat into place before very lightly, light as a feather, pull back your brush, keeping it nearly flat, you don't want to drag the bead up the nail you just want to make sure that the very edge of your 3rd bead is so fine that you can't see where the acrylic ends and the nail begins, that way you don't touch the skin and as the nail grows out you don't get a ledge that you've got to file away for the rebalance.
You didn't ask for a critic, but I gave you one anyway, I'd let you do my nails for me and I'm a very fussy mere, so well done and no, you don't have to be an artist, you just have to care x

Sorry didn't comment on your nails they look very natural! Which is great as I think it's harder to make l and p look natural than obviously enhanced! Keep up the good work nail techs are extremely hard on themselves!! Never say never! Keep striving for perfection!!! Xxxx

Yes I always have, and still do think that you need a bit of artistic flair to be a great nail tech.

I don't have an artistic streak in my body but my girls do and produce some excellent work.

Latest posts

Back