Do you know what this is?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliss69

Reaction score
My client came in today to have her nno's removed and reapplied so I wrapped them to soak off as per usual but when unwrapping the last two (RH ring & little fingernails) I found these white spots on the nail surface. These white spots definitely weren't there before wrapping.
The only thing I did differently was to use Nourishing Remover instead of D.Solve.
The first nail to be unwrapped was the LH little fingernail and there was one spot on it.
The next to be unwrapped was the LH ring finger which had two spots on it.
The next and all the rest where completely clear until I got to the RH ring finger (shown in photo) & little fingernail.
My initial thought was dehydration but I was using the nourishing remover so now I'm wondering if it could be something more serious such as Psoriasis? Or an allergic reaction maybe?
Another thing is the client had confessed to removing sticky labels by scrubbing with polish remover which dissolved the gel.
Any thoughts anyone ? Thanks x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Did you try buffing it gently? It does look like dehydration to me or damage maybe caused by picking the labels or incorrect tip blending by the NSS? Perhaps the tip was too tight or she put too much pressure on it? it definitely doesn't look like psoriasis as this is normally characterised generally by pitting uneven nails surface & flaking. Also I would suggest an allergic reaction isn't the case either as this normally happens on the surrounding skin not on the end of the nail plate (which isn't living) Im sure a little bit of oil & some TLC that will grow out (if it doesn't buff out) & the nail will be fine & dandy!! HTH XX

Did you try buffing it gently? It does look like dehydration to me or damage maybe caused by picking the labels or incorrect tip blending by the NSS? Perhaps the tip was too tight or she put too much pressure on it? it definitely doesn't look like psoriasis as this is normally characterised generally by pitting uneven nails surface & flaking. Also I would suggest an allergic reaction isn't the case either as this normally happens on the surrounding skin not on the end of the nail plate (which isn't living) Im sure a little bit of oil & some TLC that will grow out (if it doesn't buff out) & the nail will be fine & dandy!! HTH XX
Hi Fluffy
The client didn't have tips hun just natural nail overlays applied by me. She's had them removed and reapplied once before and prior to that gel polish on a fortnightly basis with no problems.
I have to say she's not the best at caring for her nails despite my best efforts to educate her. I know she has cuticle oil purchased from me but I doubt she's using as regularly as she says, her cuticles are always hard.
I've told her to condition with oil at least twice daily and to keep me updated on any changes.
I'll go back to D.Solve for this client but I'm now reluctant to use Nourishing Remover on my other clients in case the same happens!
Thanks for your advise hun x

That looks like damage to me. How do you remove? Do you use anything, even an orange wood stick, to help remove the coating? If so this is most likely the cause. No matter how careful we think were being you have to remember the nails have just been soaked and are now softer than normal so it won't take much to damage those top layers of the nail plate.

If you need to scrape at all then I would suggest re-wrapping and soak a little longer, then just rub the nail with a plastic backed pad soaked in remover and this should get any final bit of product off without causing any damage.

That looks like damage to me. How do you remove? Do you use anything, even an orange wood stick, to help remove the coating? If so this is most likely the cause. No matter how careful we think were being you have to remember the nails have just been soaked and are now softer than normal so it won't take much to damage those top layers of the nail plate.

If you need to scrape at all then I would suggest re-wrapping and soak a little longer, then just rub the nail with a plastic backed pad soaked in remover and this should get any final bit of product off without causing any damage.
Hi Pure
If I hadn't posted the picture my self I'd probably have thought the same but the spots were already there before I'd even attempted to wipe away excess product. I massaged the wrap slightly, slid the wrap off and there where the spots! I use Magis wraps btw and I do sometimes use an orangewood stick. X

I don't know if this info will help but most of the spots are perfect circles.

Had she had removal previously in the last few weeks? If you're in doubt you can always refer her to her gp though.

Try applying a light cuticle oil like solar oil. If the spots lighten or go away the a its pseudo leukonychia (white spots caused by dehydration or surface trauma)

Very unlikely these are anything serious and will likely go away

The only infection that can look like this is a rare type of candida (thrush) however it won't form on a nail that has been coated so highly unlikely

Hope that helps

Had she had removal previously in the last few weeks? If you're in doubt you can always refer her to her gp though.
Thanks Pure,
Yes she had a set removed and reapplied a fortnight ago.
She had no spots before or after removal last time and because the overlays were left clear (no colour gel polish on top) it was obvious the spots weren't there before removal this time.
Do you think the nourishing remover has highlighted a problem that was previously invisible? X

Try applying a light cuticle oil like solar oil. If the spots lighten or go away the a its pseudo leukonychia (white spots caused by dehydration or surface trauma)

Very unlikely these are anything serious and will likely go away

The only infection that can look like this is a rare type of candida (thrush) however it won't form on a nail that has been coated so highly unlikely

Hope that helps
Thanks Envy I'm really appreciating everyone help with one xxx

Latest posts

Back