Do you think age matters?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph_x

Reaction score
I am in my 2nd year at college but not enjoying it as much as the first year. I wish I had done this when I had left school but thought I knew better and anyway working at burger king was SOOO much cooler. :rolleyes:

When I was 17 I got a job in a salon to fit around my college hours. I loved it and worked in the salon with another junior.
To cut a long story short the manager was trying to convince me to take the full time hours off the other junior(as I was only p/t) and get rid of her. I felt really uncomfortable and felt sorry for the girl. So I decided to leave and not let her know what they were tryin to do.

Iv had a few interviews for trainee jobs but being 19 going on 20 in october I think alot are put off by my age. Even though I am svq2 level 1 qualified and know how to do basic cutting and have colour training I think alot of salons aren't as keen and would rather have a young school leaver. As wages would cost much less, and knowing myself at 16 I wouldn't speak up if I was getting treated rubbish.

Does anyone have any opinions on ages of trainees?

Turned into quite a ramble.

Cheers guys

s x

are you level two or level 1 qualified? because if you are level 2 qualified you would be going into a junior stylists job, not a trainee post.

just thought id clear this up x

I have my level 1 and half way through my level 2.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.:o

xx

no its fine, you just sai svq2 level 1 lol

its difficult because you are only entitled to funding for college up until you are 19, and if you are 19 you only get one year funded. I know there is a lot of fuss about funding for next years trainees although im not sure if it affects salon based trainees.

Also, if you are under 19 you are only entitled to £95 a week wages. Over 19s are entitled to minimum wage whish i think for under 19 is £4.50 ish an hour so say you work 40 hours that is....£180 a week. If you had to pay £95 or £180, which would you choose?

Its a crummy system but that is the way it is. Which is why I reckon you'll be struggling to get a job. :(

Keep on trying, could you not do your level 2 college based then try to get a job after that? x

Yeah I know what you mean would much rather pay as little as possible.

I have 2 interviews tomorrow and 2 trial days coming up. So fingers crossed.

Iv been forcing myself to carry on with my level 2 at college but its been a disaster. I had 2 months off because I was really unwell in hospital. I was freaked because I thought I would never catch up with the class in assesments. When I got back I found no one had passed assesments, 2 tutours for our salon classes had left.
There is no receptionist so there hasn't been any colours/products ordered in. I have had to send a client away and many of the other girls have aswell because we just dont have enough colours or the colour that client wants.
I have 9 weeks left of the course and right now I feel I will never get through. So to me moving on to a salon feels like my best option.

Sorry for the essay thought I would make my situation a bit clearer.

xx

it really angers me to hear about these rubbishy colleges. do you not have to do a days placement a week?

To be honest the college was excellent last year really supportive. This year it's like a totally different place.
I wouldn't advise anyone to go the route I did.

We have our work placement coming up in 2 weeks. Even that has been a disaster as the tutor for work placement has been off so we haven't done the unit for it.

Absolute disaster!

ive got a girl working with me and she's just finishing her level 2 like you, but she does a day a week placement with me (and i also emply her a further 2 days a week) was just thinking you could try to get a job with them. i wouldn't be surprised if your college pass you on everything anyway. you are edinburgh yeh? could you poss PM me which college it is you are at, if you dont mind.?
x

im doing level 2 too just now and am just about to turn 21 next month so i know how you feel!! i too think i will struggle finding a job but im going to carry on to level 3 in sept and then try work my way up in a salon after that... :Scared: but that is really awful about your college, how are you meant to get on with learning when you dont have the resources at hand??!

It is an absolute nightmare. In saying that I have women in their 40's in my class so they must be feeling it 100x worse.

Last year only 3 or 4 passed their level 2 so I don't realy have much faith and we have no level 3 this year and there will be no level 3 next year either.

Glad I'm not the only one worrying about age xx

yeah theres a 52 year old in my class! and ive seen lots of older students on hairdressing courses at the college. i stayed on at school until i was 18 and when i started applying at colleges/in salons at 19 that was me basically "past it" lol its mental

Last edited:
The current rules and regulations are a terrible scandal. It's embarrassing telling a 19 year old that they are too old to train as a hairdresser.

I brought this up with my MP, please do the same x

I think it's never too late in life to train at doing something you have a passion for... it just seems so unfair that past the age of 19 its hard to get the funding :cry:

I think ANYONE will struggle to be funded next year, certainly in Scotland anyway. The college local to us isn't offering Level 3 this year, and is only taking on a third of previous intakes for Level 2.

I know its got me really worried

I am going to do my level 2 in sept and worried about the funding now

And I am 32 so god help me getting a placement got lots of contacts in the industry though so hopefully that might help (fingers crossed)

if ur doing it at college and have been accepted youll be fine. and your placement wil be fine too hun. and youll get a job no bother when you are qualified. its more getting a job to train is hard.

It doesnt come down to whether salon owners are nice or not. We have to work within the law, and also within unimaginable financial constraints.

The rules regarding vocational training were drawn up to discriminate against people training at a later age. Salons cannot pay min wage for unproductive staff, it is that simple. Until the law is changed, people will have to continue to rely on lucky breaks or fight hard to enter the industry.

Some of the colleges are disgusting the way they treat trainees. Maybe a good look at these training providers is required too.

Latest posts

Back