Business advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole1610

Reaction score
I’ve been doing hairdressing for almost 4 years. I’ve recently felt as though I’ve fallen out of love with it. Especially during lockdown I’ve just dreaded going back to work.
im currently employed and I’m really struggling to build my client base I’ve probably only got around 7 clients.My boss is constantly on at me to build up my clientele but it just feels impossible. Before Christmas we had a meeting and she said that if I can’t build up my clients she’s going to have to reduce my hours.
when we got a date to go back to work after lockdown she told me she was putting me on part time hours, I was previously doing 37 hours and now I’m on 22 I’ve got no money left for myself I’ve got a house to run and a family so I’m really going to start struggling. She justifiedmy hours by saying I’m not covering my wages some weeks and that half my clients aren’t even mine and they’re actually hers and I just do them because she can’t get them in (this isn’t the case they’ve directly messaged me to book in with myself because they didn’t want her to continue doing their hair)

I just don’t know what to do, all I’ve done since leaving school & college is working in salons doing hair and beauty so I’ve got no experience in anything else, so I’m really struggling to find another job. I’ve completely lost all confidence and faith in building a client base and I’m struggling financially because of this. I just think I would be happier doing a different job.

sorry for the long rambling post I just needed to get things off my chest lol! And hopefully get some advice

As someone who has felt this way can I ask; Do you think it's the industry or the workplace?

The main points you bought up were;
- Dreadding going to work
- Nagging Boss
- Low hours which are causing stress
- Her putting stress over her clients seeing you

A bad workplace can make you feel like you don't love the industry. If you are not happy there then perhaps it would better if you look for a job in another salon.

As someone who has felt this way can I ask; Do you think it's the industry or the workplace?

The main points you bought up were;
- Dreadding going to work
- Nagging Boss
- Low hours which are causing stress
- Her putting stress over her clients seeing you

A bad workplace can make you feel like you don't love the industry. If you are not happy there then perhaps it would better if you look for a job in another salon.

To be honest, with the points you’ve made I do think it’s the workplace causing al of this I’m just not happy! My only problem is in my area there isn’t many salons that will take on an employed stylist everywhere is self employed spaces to rent and unfortunately I’m not in the position to do that. I have just lost all confidence and hope with actually getting clients I really don’t feel good enough. I also feel if I do move salons and manage to get an employed position will I be in the same situation a year down the line when I still have no clients.
Thank you for your reply x

Do you use instagram? You could ask your boss if you're allowed to do some kind of deal. "Refer a friend and get 5% off a service". There are loads of marketting techniques out there these days. Also tag your instagram with the location. Say #Hairdresserin(town that you work in)

I'm so sorry you're feeling so low. I think a lot of people will be feeling the same after having time to reflect. Can I just ask, have you been qualified for 4 years or did you start as a junior 4 years ago?

Hi Nicole. Can I ask, are you getting part time pay for 22 hours and furlough pay for the other 15? I have staff and I can’t bring them back for their usual hours straight away. I’ll be giving them a mixture of part time work and furlough pay. This is partly for Covid secure reasons - I need separate shifts.

Have a chat with your boss. Ask her if you can stay on a mixture of furlough and part-time hours until the furlough scheme ends in October. Explain that you really can’t manage on 22 hours pay and you’re worried that financial stress will undermine your ability to work to the best of your ability.

Be flexible, offer to work a late night, early morning or open on a day when you are usually closed - ask your Boss if she thinks there will be demand for out of hours business that you’re missing at the moment.

Ask her if it is ok for you to look for other work that you can do around your job with her. Discuss how this will work. For example you need to agree 3 full days a week or 3 1/2 days, so you’ve got a reasonable chunk of hours to offer to another employer. Try not to agree to Thursday Friday Saturday, because those are the days of the week when you’re most likely to find another job - so maybe offer Friday Saturday Monday or Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

it will be good for her to consider the business implications of not having you. For example, my first week back I started wondering why I bother to have staff as I can take a lot of bookings myself. Then I worked all Saturday without being able to answer the phone or reply to emails. I missed at least 4 firm booking requests - it made me realise that my Saturday girl might not do very much at all, but if she gets me those 4 bookings, she’s earnt her pay.

Ask your boss what sort of work she suggests you can do. Don’t say “I’ll be setting up my own home business in competition with you” do say, “Would it be ok, if I did a few mobile clients - maybe kiddie cuts, and older ladies?” You could see if there’s a sheltered housing or care home near you - they might be delighted to have a visiting hairdresser, or advertise on Facebook - there might be a Mums group that would love to have someone cut the kids hair one evening.

For now, try and put your happy face on in work. Yes it will be an effort, but looking miserable isn’t going to make you feel any better. Focus on what you can bring to the workplace. one of your advantages is that you are an extra pair of hands which frees your boss from having to do everything herself. Your boss is an entrepreneur. Let her do what she’s good at. Let her build up the client base while you concentrate on giving the clients a great experience which is all about them. Ask her if she wants to take payments and rebook because her upsell rate is stronger than yours.

Meanwhile you need to do all the jobs that you can do just as well as she can.

Make sure that all the days that you are in are days when everything works like clockwork. Be on top of the laundry - if there are piles waiting, make sure everything is done before you leave.

Show an interest in overheads. Ask whether the rubbish is charged per bag or per collection. Take home your personal rubbish if your boss is paying per bin bag and make sure each bin bag is properly full.

If you can, think of ways to save money - read the electricity meter at the start and end of the day and see whether it makes any difference to switch things off as soon as you can. Last winter I didn’t keep an eye on a portable heater which my girls were just switching on on cold days. The result was my worst ever electric bill - that blasted heater cost me £300 more than I have ever paid and it wasn’t even a cold winter.

Try not to use an extra towel if you can. Put damp laundry on an airer to finish off

Try and keep busy, decant the last scrapes out of product containers. Be careful not to waste product.

And be kind to yourself. We’re all feeling anxious right now - even your Boss. Really big companies are treating their staff badly atm, because they are scared. We’re calling it the CoronaCoaster, one minute we are optimistic, the next we’re planning to give up work. Try not to take things too personally and don’t stress about what ifs. Take each week as it comes. We can’t think about a second spike, or winter outbreak, it’s too much.

Right now I’m just looking at my standing orders and trying to make enough to cover them as they fall due. I had a standing order go through over the weekend which I though I’d cancelled and I was so depressed I couldn’t get out of bed yesterday - and the day before I’d been so positive and bubbling over with plans for the future.

Im not going to lie, we’re all going to be stressed, anxious, broke and scared/angry/frustrated at times over the next year. What I’m doing right now is trying very hard not to feel regretful over missed opportunities to save myself and my team.

Latest posts

Back