Does age get in the way

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soniamarie

Reaction score
Hi I have not been on here for some time, I qualified a some years ago in nails, beauty and holistics but over the last 10 years been doing catering which I hate, this is mine and my partners own business so I have put all my dreams of a career in nails/beauty etc to the back of my mind even though I have kept up with some training on the nail side over the years up till 2 years ago. Problem is I hate doing what I am doing but wondering if my age is against me to start with the nails and reflexology again, I was thinking of doing L&P course as my training is in gels but at 53 am I past it and best to leave it to the younger ones out there. I would like to hear from anyone of similar age who may have had a change of career and if so if they felt it was a good move or not. tia

I am 50 and like you, originally qualified years ago. I ended up in a job I didn't enjoy and I always hankered after getting back into the nail and beauty business, but I lacked the confidence. A few life changes caused me to re-evaluate my working life a few years back and I decided life is too short to work in a job you don't like! To start with I just did a few refresher day courses, but I still didn't feel 100% confident so I bit the bullet and went back to college to do Level 3 Beauty Therapy and Nail Enhancements (I already qualified in fibreglass many years ago, so welcomed updating my skills). I enjoyed every minute of my course, despite being the eldest! I made friends I'm still in touch with now and I proved to myself that I wasn't too old! I worked really hard and passed all my exams first time and was awarded Level 3 Beauty Therapy Student of the year!

If I'm totally honest, I think I learnt faster first time around and I don't think my treatment speeds would be up to salon speeds, but I work for myself in my own salon based in my garden so I work at my own pace and don't book clients back to back as I don't want or need the stress. I am gradually building a nice regular client base and I have a mixture of age groups from early 20's upwards. I absolutely love what I do and have no regrets at all - except that I didn't do it years ago! So definitely go for it!! Xxx

HiTia

I trained at 47 and it's worked very well for me. I'm now employing my daughter in my own, well established salon and helping her to set up her own home based nails, lashes and brows salon.

I trained in gel sculpting a long time ago and haven't done any nails for a few years, but I've been practising recently as I'm going to have to do a few hours a week to help out in her new venture. I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to it - in spite of worrying that I need to replace my specs.

I'd say that you aren't too old to give up on your dreams - as an aside I had a facial training course last year from a 69 year old therapist who first trained at 58 and she was employing both of her two daughters and had no plans to retire. Us older therapists have a lot to offer to the 50+ something clients who now have the money and desire to spend on themselves and appreciate the experience of life we older therapists can offer.

I am 50 and like you, originally qualified years ago. I ended up in a job I didn't enjoy and I always hankered after getting back into the nail and beauty business, but I lacked the confidence. A few life changes caused me to re-evaluate my working life a few years back and I decided life is too short to work in a job you don't like! To start with I just did a few refresher day courses, but I still didn't feel 100% confident so I bit the bullet and went back to college to do Level 3 Beauty Therapy and Nail Enhancements (I already qualified in fibreglass many years ago, so welcomed updating my skills). I enjoyed every minute of my course, despite being the eldest! I made friends I'm still in touch with now and I proved to myself that I wasn't too old! I worked really hard and passed all my exams first time and was awarded Level 3 Beauty Therapy Student of the year!

If I'm totally honest, I think I learnt faster first time around and I don't think my treatment speeds would be up to salon speeds, but I work for myself in my own salon based in my garden so I work at my own pace and don't book clients back to back as I don't want or need the stress. I am gradually building a nice regular client base and I have a mixture of age groups from early 20's upwards. I absolutely love what I do and have no regrets at all - except that I didn't do it years ago! So definitely go for it!! Xxx

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, I know that I will have to get some practice in and looking at maybe doing a L&P course so that I can offer that, I now have the room at home to be able to work from home rather than go mobile as due to health problems the last time I did try going mobile it was to much for me, I know that we have our own business but it is not what I had trained for and planned for myself, I have given it 10 years of my life and to be honest hate it, it is not what I wanted to do and was not sure if I was holding on to dreams and my age was against me, not that I feel old or that, if anything I have more of a social life and more energy than my own children lol. Refresher courses sound the way to go also, so will be looking in to them all. thank you again. xx

Hi thank you for replying, its nice to know it is not just an industry for the teens and twenty somethings, I did try to restart the other year but lacked a bit of confidence, I think a refresher course maybe useful so will look in to them but I am thinking of doing L&P course so that will refresh a lot that is buried to the back of my mind lol, oh and new specs, thats on the agenda next week to lol. It is lovely to know that people dont find me to old to start a new career, not that I feel old but in an industry of teens etc I just wonder if someone of my age would still get clients. thanks again and good luck with your business too.

I myself am 30, but the nail tech I work right beside is 60. She, like you, got out of the business years ago, and started back about 8 years ago. She’s really doing great. Just please remember that if someone younger tries to help you a little, it’s not condescending it’s just a suggestion. My work buddy is so great with taking my advice on the constantly changing industry, and she is truly thriving. I wish you all the best.

It depends also who are your target customers. In our salons we target professional and wealthy women, as we focus on well designed, thin nails, combined with great sanitation, hypoallergenic products and professional dust/vapour filters. The age range tends to be mid-30`s to retired.

I started training on my 40th birthday and at 43 managed two skin clinics then left after 6 years. Now at 54 I'm building a mobile business, part time, and am enjoying it all. It's one of the rare industry's that avoids ageism. Best of luck hun, you go for it x

I am 35 and have just started my level 2 in Hairdressing. I work one morning a week in a salon as an assistant and have had some lovely comments from the clients about how nice it is to see an 'older' assistant.

I started my beauty and massage training at 46....mid life crisis perhaps!! I'm now 59. I have a treatment room at home and work 4/5 very busy days a week. My clients range from 16 to 85 . My age I feel is actually an advantage......my younger clients appear to see me as a 'Mother figure' the older ones , I'm still young enough for them to view me as a 'daughter' All the ages in between I'm lucky enough to have them view me as a friend. I don't think 'age' is relevant but professionalism and the enjoyment of the Industry wins through. Good Luck with your venture.

Latest posts

Back