Does anyone do Shellac nail art and what do you charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I've been watching Holly's (Finger Nail Fixer) tutorials on Shellac nail art and has been having a play this afternoon with the result that I have some very nice designs to offer people!!

It is quite time consuming though. For instance, I did a bling leopard one which was basically base, colour coat, scrub in glitter like rockstars, top coat, do leopard design with dotting tools, top coat again.

I also managed a colour fade glitter and an etched tiger! Very please with myself lol:D She does make it easy to follow.

How does your "shellac with nail art" price compare with your "just Shellac" price? I will be charging more, just want to hit the balance between making it worth doing and making it affordable enough.

And approximately how much extra time does it take? I'm thinking roughly 20 minutes?

thanks xx

Last edited:
i charge extra for everything! if a client wants a few gems in their shellac i charge 20p per gem, if they want a glitter fade then its extra few quid if full rockstar a few more...if i do a carve design then few extra,additives the same. it takes roughly extra 15/20 mins depending of detail involved. At the end of the day you are using extra product and time and so you should charge accordingly xx

You should charge at least 20% on top of the Shellac price!

When I began with nail art I did a special offer for a while just to get clients to try it out. Like Souz said, I would make a list of all of things you can do, stamping, hand painted, rockstars, glitter fade, etc. etc. and then list a price for accent finger and another for a full hand.

Personally I worry less about the extra cost of the material used and focus more on the time it takes when calculating the price.

When I began with nail art I did a special offer for a while just to get clients to try it out. Like Souz said, I would make a list of all of things you can do, stamping, hand painted, rockstars, glitter fade, etc. etc. and then list a price for accent finger and another for a full hand.

Personally I worry less about the extra cost of the material used and focus more on the time it takes when calculating the price.

I think the special offer is a very good idea, think I'll be implementing that, thanks

I agree about it being the time factor here, mainly..... I'm guessing nail art is something which you do speed up with the more you do it?

I think the special offer is a very good idea, think I'll be implementing that, thanks

I agree about it being the time factor here, mainly..... I'm guessing nail art is something which you do speed up with the more you do it?

My goodness, Blossom that is exactly what I've been doing over the past few days! Every spare minute has been checking out Holly's designs!
I too have done the leopard, not too successful to start with, but they're getting better.
I've also tried some marbling too, but the easy way, just with a good base colour and dots of different colours and swirling them, very effective.

It's great when you have the versatility to do this with shellac, and a lovely original touch on your service.

Have fun!

My goodness, Blossom that is exactly what I've been doing over the past few days! Every spare minute has been checking out Holly's designs!
I too have done the leopard, not too successful to start with, but they're getting better.
I've also tried some marbling too, but the easy way, just with a good base colour and dots of different colours and swirling them, very effective.

It's great when you have the versatility to do this with shellac, and a lovely original touch on your service.

Have fun!

ChristineMary, did you find the marbled ones cured ok? I haven't had a go yet but am a bit concerned they might wrinkle if applied just a tidge too thick?

I'm getting requests for nail art . . . . or sometimes people will say where there friend gets her nails done with such and such design and how nice it looks and I'm thinking ok, I'm picking up on those vibes lol .. are you finding the same and is that what made you look into it?

I know where you're coming from! I had no intention at first of offering ANY form of nail art, and for many a while clients have been content with a different colour and a different sparkle over, however, as you say, yes, they are coming in and saying they would like something extra, as seen on their friends and it was FAB..........panic? me? or what!!! That's when I thought I'd check out Holly and bring myself up to date.
Anyway, back on track, with my efforts at marbelling, what I did was one coat of colour, cure, another coat of the same colour, don't cure, and apply different size dots of various toning or contrasting colours. it's fascinating here to watch how the shellac blends with the uncured coat. I tried some pastel ones, and some earthy contrast ones with faux fur as the base, and iced cappuchino, rubble, strawberry smoothie and tinsel toast dotted on randomly, swirl very gently, not too much as it ends up just looking a mess! I didn't find any trouble with wrinkling whilst curing, but I did when I tried my leopard print, clearly used too much there.
another effect I tried was strawberry smoothie as the base, dots of cream puff, rosebud, silver chrome, a little red baroness and hotski, and this is my favourite so far.
Another I tried was just letting the dots settle and dont swirl them, looks very sophisticated.

Love to hear how you get on, I'm off now to try a few more, hope this helps. xx

Latest posts

Back