Does anyone else's child have breath holding attacks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
My little girl is 16 months old and for the last few weeks she's been holding her breath when she's really upset. She's had 3 today and she actually passed out for the first time - she turned blue and her eyes rolled back, it's horrible! :sad:

A Google search has brought up lots of information which says it is an involuntary reflex and not naughtiness. It can be caused by pain, anger, frustration etc. The Great Ormond Street website says to get her checked out as it's possible (but not likely) that the attacks could be caused by an underlying disorder such as arrhythmia, anaemia or epilepsy. Apparently doctors might do EEG tests, blood tests and brain monitoring??

Are there any doctors/nurses on this lovely forum who may be able to help please? I don't know what to expect.
I'm also worried that I'll struggle to discipline her because I'll always be scared of making her hold her breath!

Has anyone else's child suffered from this?

(Edited to add: All 3 tantrums today were because she didn't want to wear clothes or a nappy - it seems she is becoming quite the little nudist!)

Its most likely a temper tantrum.

If she passes out she will breathe again as its an automatic response.

Ignore it and she will soon see that it wont give her the attention she wants.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with Panoramic. Breathing is an involutary action, its survival, if she does pass out she'll breathe again immediately. If it were my kids I'd defo ignore it or she'll end up holding you to ransom with it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Think My 3 did the tantrum holding breath at some point or other ,
But not to the point of passing out .
I think you Shuld not google . Instead take a trip to dr or health visitor .
It's probably nothing at all but you need to be sure .

My cousins little girl did this, it did pass as she grew up. We used to blow gently in her face and it made her take a breath. Ah you just reminded ne if her as a baby shes 8 now going on 16 and no other underlying health problems. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your replies. She definitely can't help it, the look of panic on her face is awful when she can't breathe and it really frightens her. The info I read was from the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital website and NHS websites, so I'm going to take her to the doctors on Monday

This sounds like almost a panic attack rather than 'naughtiness'. The upside - as you have discovered - is that once they pass out, they start to breathe again. However, I would get straight to the docs to get further advice.

My 21 year old daughter had sleep apnoea where she would just stop breathing in her sleep. Eventually that settled, and my second daughter had febrile convulsions and was tested for epilepsy etc. The tests were all very straightforward.

Get to the GP and get her checked out. A little Google knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Good luck

Vicki x

My son used to do this all the time when he was little but more when he hurt himself and started to cry instead of a temper tantrum thing. Used to scare the life out of me , he would also convulse. First time it happened I had an ambulance out and everything . But he grew out of it by about the age of 4 and never had any issues since .

My little girl held her breath after falling over once and it ended up with her convulsing. I was terrified and called 999.
Never happened since. May never happen again (fingers crossed) but the doctors said I'm right to call an ambulance if it does.
My advice is not to scare yourself silly by depending on the internet for information / diagnosis. These are our babies - get them checked over again and again until you are satisfied the docs have got it right.
Not everything is down to behaviour. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

we have a history of this in my mothers family, the majority of my cousins would hold their breath when throwing a tantrum and go blue and even pass out! they all grew out of it :) now their kids do the same. . . if your worried take her to the doctor just to put your mind at rest

Thankyou for your replies everyone! I'll be phoning the doctors on Monday - I'm not sure they'll do anything but there is one particular doctor at our surgery who is excellent, very approachable and seems to know everything! I took her to be checked over last week as she had a speckly rash that didn't disappear when I pressed a glass onto it, and it turned out that was from holding her breath x

My sister use to do it! (She is 38 now)
My mum said she would literally hold her breath till she went blue and she was so worried she took her to the doctors!
The doctor took one look at her and he said she is spoilt! Leave her! It's for attention, my mum was a bit concerned and said well what if something happens!
He reassured her and my mum did this and sure enough she grew out of it.
She was a right handful but this was one of her things she did!
This is only my view to let you no your not alone, I would defiantly for a peace of mind go to the doctors good luck xx

Latest posts

Back