Does anyone have an apprentice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbert

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am taking on a Beauty apprentice next week and have been told that she will need to be paid a minimum of £80 a week.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me what they actually pay their apprentice or give some advice? I've read on the government website that they dont qualify for the minimum wage!

Many thanks

xxxxxxxxxxx:rolleyes:

When I was on apprenticeship (admin) I used to work up to 40 hours and only get £40. This is a few years ago though, but the money used to come straight to me from the employer and not the training college.

Well the minimum I can pay her is £80 a week so things have changed since then!!

HI SHELLBERT,
WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT GOES WITH YOUR APPRENTICE, WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING ONE. IS YOUR APPRENTICE A YEAR 1 OR YEAR 2 STUDENT?
KEEP ME UP TO DATE IF YOU DONT MIND.
THANK YOU :lol:

I always thought that the government paid you x amount to have someone as an apprentice and then it was up to you if you wanted to pay them extra?
i would check it out on one of the government websites to be sure hth

Hi
As I explained in my post I HAVE looked on the government website and all it says is £80 is the minimum weekly payment for them. I'll ring my accountant tomorrow I think and see what he has to say.
The apprentice is doing the 2 yr course to get her levels 2 & 3. I met her yesterday and she seems a lovely young girl, very well spoken, enthusiastic, motivated and well groomed. She'll be a great help on reception as she already works in cafe and a pub so is confident with the general public. Then once she has found her feet at College and has started learning her first module, she can then watch the girls in action and start practising!

I always thought that the government paid you x amount to have someone as an apprentice and then it was up to you if you wanted to pay them extra?
i would check it out on one of the government websites to be sure hth
i thought the same to , i will ask the question what do i get on my apprentice course as well, i.e trainning and mentoring, also check to see if any of this wopuld be repayable if you leave or get a job else where. Whilst this may not ansewer your question about wages it is all linked when you have a look at the overall picture.

hi,
i trained as an apprentice from been 16 and did both my level 2 and 3 at a salon, i got paid £80 per week and im pretty sure that came from my employer. that was just over a year ago now.

must admit it gave me sooo much doing in on the job rather than at college, you learn much more.

sarah x

Hi, I have two girls, one beauty and one hairdresser. I have to pay them £80 each they work for me 4 days and 1 day at college. It s great for me and good experience for them. We as salon owners have to pay which is not bad, the government schemes stopped ages ago. Once they finish their apprenticeship then you have to pay them the going rate.

Hi
Yeah thats pretty much what I'll be doing but think my apprentice is at College Monday & Tuesday but like you say dawncbn, they're a great extra pair of hands arent they.

hi-i actually called the minimum pay line a few days ago about how much to pay an apprentice. i also saw on the government website that they don't qualify for minimum wage under a certain age. the man i spoke to told me that is she is putting herself through a course (she is doing level 1 hairdressing), then she must be paid the minimum wage which is going up to £3.53 an hour next month. hope this helps.

Hi
Sorry, dont quite understand that last part? I understand that she doesnt qualify for mw because she is 17, but do I need to pay her at least £3.53 an hour then?

Latest posts

Back