Does anyone use natural Henna?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone uses Henna anymore? I know it stinks but I remember it producing gorgeous reds on dark hair...

I use henna on a few clients that ask for it specifically.

No henna....too difficult to get reliable info from maunfacturers.....also, the possibility of problems in the future.....You cannot chemically treat hair that has henna on it.....until it has all been cut away.
The only chemical reaction I have ever seen was a woman who wanted highlights on her 'natural hair'.....sat and proceeded to get cap h/l.....two minutes under the dryer, and smoke and noise are coming out from under....the hair was boiling and liquefying..:eek:..the poor stylist,who was in tears, found out that the clients 'natural hair' wasnt natural at all, as it had been henna treated months before.....
As witness to that, I refuse all henna clients for chem.

The clients i use it on wouldnt go near peroxide and tints. Putting it politely they are of the yogurt weaving persuasion.
I do advise that they must always advise any future hairdresser that they have henna on if they choose to change hairdresser. I always fill out record cards so there is no problem if they stay with me!:)

I am trialling Redken permanent colour range. On the H&S stuff, it advised NEVER to use on anyone who has ever had a black henna tattoo! Have never seen that before, and it surprised me.

A lot of hair companies are using that as a caveat now. If you have have had a black henna tattoo before, you are at an increased risk of developing an allergy to permanent hair dye or having a violent reaction. Bummer. :)

I know alot of asians that use henna, but it stains the scalp and when it washes out can go ginger. My gran had it done years ago and we all called her ginger spice as she had full grey coverage and omg looked wrong, ginger asian gran......

There are some brands of henna that are widey used because they do give hair a glossy look. Some dyes have gorgeous reds but when they do wash out they tend not to last very long. On Greys they tend to take and absorb way too much and get resistant over time. xoxo

No henna....too difficult to get reliable info from maunfacturers.....also, the possibility of problems in the future.....You cannot chemically treat hair that has henna on it.....until it has all been cut away.
The only chemical reaction I have ever seen was a woman who wanted highlights on her 'natural hair'.....sat and proceeded to get cap h/l.....two minutes under the dryer, and smoke and noise are coming out from under....the hair was boiling and liquefying..:eek:..the poor stylist,who was in tears, found out that the clients 'natural hair' wasnt natural at all, as it had been henna treated months before.....
As witness to that, I refuse all henna clients for chem.

Wow, that sounds intense! What did the client say? I had a similiar problem, but not so dramatic. Thankfully my client only wanted her ends black and keep the red, took me ages to get out of her that it was henna (think she knew I'd refuse if it was henna, but still wanted to risk it!?!) and finally told her to foget about it if she wanted to keep her hair.

Interesting tale, hope the client is still with you?

T

Latest posts

Back