Does anyone work in a salon and freelance as well?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra_cake

Reaction score
basically all the title says really

do you work in a salon and work mobile aswell? how does this work is it worth it etc...

I work in a salon but do friends, friends of friends and whoever by word out of mouth out of work. It doesn't state in my contract that I can't and my boss is aware. As long as I don't take directly from the salon, which I wouldn't, then it's fine. It's worth it because it's extra pocket money :)

yes i used to work 2days one week and 3days the other in a salon and the other days for myself, my boss was fully aware i worked for myself i used to get paid half of what i took in the salon, and it was cash so i could pay my own tax, and my boss loved it cos he didnt have to declare i was working there, all i did was make sure my public liability insurance covered me in a salon, i hope that helps you x

Thanks for the replys . I really am looking at considering mobile . Is it easy enough to set up . I know I would need insurance and car business insurance . How do I go about registering as self employed ?

I am mobile and it has taken me from a good year to build up good clientelle, which i started doing whilst at college. so yourve got to really put the effort in advertising leaflet drops etc get a good enough client base.
i also help a lady who owns a salon 2 days a week on a self employed basis as one of her long time stylists left her and i help out when she needs someone she know i am mobile...however money wise i do earn more from mobile than i do in the salon...
things you need to do
inform the inland revenue, you can either phone them or do it all online the website will tell you what to do....you will then get a form to fill in to pay your national insurance contrabutuions.
inform tax credits ie working tax credits with an estimate of your weekly earnings i found them very helpful
also public liability insurance, mine is done through salon gold again google them and you can do it all on line.
phone your car insurance and let them know you intend to go mobile.
then basically its down to you leaflet drops, use friends to advertise for you through business cards postcards etc....you really need to push this is , if you think about it no-one knows of you so get yourself out there....
i hear people complain all the time i cant get the clients etc...well they are there waiting for you so find them.....
htht

thank you joanne that helps ALOT
the only thing i dont understand is tax credits ? what are they/ why do i have to inform them

you only have to inform them if you are on any tax credits for example working tax credits as they need to know your hours and earnings to see if you are entitled to anything. help woth childcare money etc..and if you are on them..inform them of change of circumstances, if your not on them give them a call anyway you may be entitled to something....
hth

thanks had a quick look not entitled to anything as not 25+ or have a child:(

really getting my act into gear , just searching compition looking at prices etc...

thanks for your help

o i need to think of a business name aswel :)

thanks had a quick look not entitled to anything as not 25+ or have a child:(

really getting my act into gear , just searching compition looking at prices etc...

thanks for your help

o i need to think of a business name aswel :)

I am her@home if that helps. i have put "her" instead of "hair" as i only do ladies you could use hair@home if you are unisex

thanks that does help. ive had the idea of zebra hair design ??? how does that sound or is it daft

Latest posts

Back