Does Gelish weaken your nails eventually?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsgalore13

Reaction score
Hi sorry if this has already been asked but i cant seem to find this anywhere!

i use both gelish and shellac but was just wondering whether gelish would weaken the nails eventually as you take the shine off the nail? and also have to buff some off at the end of removal as i find it doesnt come off as easy as shellac??
thanks for any help xx

I have used Gelish for nearly two years on around 80 regular clients and myself. Not one of them nor I have weak nails now, if anything our nails are stronger. You only buff off the shine when you first apply Gelish, for subsequent applications there is no shine to buff off.

I don't know what you mean about buffing to remove the product, pretty sure none of us do that.

Have you done the training?

Gelish doesn't buff off. You have to soak it.

I have used Gelish for nearly two years on around 80 regular clients and myself. Not one of them nor I have weak nails now, if anything our nails are stronger. You only buff off the shine when you first apply Gelish, for subsequent applications there is no shine to buff off.

I don't know what you mean about buffing to remove the product, pretty sure none of us do that.

Have you done the training?

hi juicylucy!

thanks for your reply,i am a qualified nail technician but with the gelish i have been trained by my boss at work to use it but not done the proper training through harmony, when we remove the gelish i use an orangewood stick but it doesn't come off very easy so we just buff the rest off so im worried that doing this is weakening my clients nails! but im just doing what iv been told to do!xx

Gelish doesn't buff off. You have to soak it.

hi

Thanks megfar33, yes i do that but it seems to not just come off when i use my orange stick,i have to buff some off which i just said to the other person that im worried it will weaken the nails eventually! so is it suppose to just come off easy like shellac?

thanks xx

hi

Thanks megfar33, yes i do that but it seems to not just come off when i use my orange stick,i have to buff some off which i just said to the other person that im worried it will weaken the nails eventually! so is it suppose to just come off easy like shellac?

thanks xx

I've never used shellac only gelish. All I do to get them off is soak a cotton ball in gelish remover, place it on the nail and wrap in foil. It's left for about 10-15 minutes and then use an orange stick to get the rest off. Seems to work for me. Hope it does for you.

If your boss trained you there is a slight chance that some points have been lost in the process. One of the reasons you may be finding it hard to get it all off is if you are applying the base coat too thick. By that, I mean that you should almost be scrubbing it in rather than painting it on.

Also, are you saturating the pad enough? It's possible the remover is drying out and the Gelish rehardening.

Try holding a pad against the nail for ten seconds and then scrubbing off, rather than buffing.

hi everyone thank you so much for your replys, megfar33 im maybe not leaving long enough then as when i soak 1 hand i go to the next and then after that i go straight back to the first hand and we also soak with acetone! so maybe that is something to do with it? where as when i soak any shellac off we use the proper remover. thanks also nicole i will make sure i dont do the base too thick,and yes i think i do saturate the pad xx

the base coat makes the world of difference. On my first practise run on myself I painted it on like normal base coat (so dipping the brush between fingers) and when I came to soak it off I truly thought it would be welded there forever :lol:

Now I've learnt my lesson and I take the brush out wipe it off until there's practically nothing on the brush, dab it on each of the 5 nails of 1 hand and then go back over and spread it over the nail. It soaks off easily now.

hi glitterbox thanks for the good advice thats exactly what i do! i dip between each finger! i will definitely try to get it on thinner.thanks everyone your advice much appreciated.x

hi glitterbox thanks for the good advice thats exactly what i do! i dip between each finger! i will definitely try to get it on thinner.thanks everyone your advice much appreciated.x

Then thats definitely the culprit. I dip once, remove excess and use that for all 5 nails. I use hair dressers foil as it is thick and very sturdy and half a cotton ball saturated with the nail harmony remover and it comes off in 10-15 without having to use an orange wood stick at all. I think the hair dressers foil has really helped too because since using it I honestly have not had to push any off at all.

Then thats definitely the culprit. I dip once, remove excess and use that for all 5 nails. I use hair dressers foil as it is thick and very sturdy and half a cotton ball saturated with the nail harmony remover and it comes off in 10-15 without having to use an orange wood stick at all. I think the hair dressers foil has really helped too because since using it I honestly have not had to push any off at all.

hi shannon oh right yes that must be it then, great thank you and thank you for the tip with the hair foil, i think also then i should be leaving it on 10 to 15 min as i was told by my boss to just go straight back to the first hand when i have got them all soaking! how long do you take roughly then to do a removal and reaplication?

You should not have to buff off any remaining product and when you do that, you do remove some of the nail plate.

A few things. First, try using the Gelish Remover instead of acetone. I find that the removers for the product (OPI Expert Touch for OPI, for example) tend to work better. It is also not as drying as acetone and while dryness isn't damage, per se, it isn't helpful.

Second, be careful only to buff new growth. Buffing removes tiny layers of the nail and repeated buffing does thin the nail eventually.

Sometimes when we have a problem with removal, we examine our removal technique when the problem is at the other end - in our application! It sounds as though you might be applying the base coat too thick. Glitterbox and Shannon's advice on application is spot on.

Finally, allow enough time for the remover to really sink in. Give it the full 10-15 minutes.Then try removing by grasping the wrap snugly against the nail and twisting and pulling it off. Most everything should come off. Then take a pad, saturate it with remover, hold it against the nail for a few seconds and then wipe. Everything should be gone. HTH

hi thank you nancy and miss owen, thats great advice thank you, and a great video miss owen thanks for that, so if you still lightly buffing then like it showed in that video is it best sticking to shellac rather than gelish? bt suppose it is only a light gritted file that she was using to buff the nail up at the end x

hi thank you nancy and miss owen, thats great advice thank you, and a great video miss owen thanks for that, so if you still lightly buffing then like it showed in that video is it best sticking to shellac rather than gelish? bt suppose it is only a light gritted file that she was using to buff the nail up at the end x

The light buffing would only be necessary if it was a new client. When you remove the set and reapply, you would not need to buff again, just remove any cuticle on the regrowth.

great thank you juicy lucy great advice thanks again x

If i was you, i'd get booked on to the NH Gelish course, it's not expensive & would add to your official skill set.

When i got my kit & was practising while waiting for my training day i remember doing the base coat as thin as i could ...... boy was i in for a shock when i was shown the official thinness of the base coat !!

Also, i dont know where NH stand on you using acetone either to remove Gelish.

It sounds like you & your clients would really benefit from the proper training.

If i was you, i'd get booked on to the NH Gelish course, it's not expensive & would add to your official skill set.

When i got my kit & was practising while waiting for my training day i remember doing the base coat as thin as i could ...... boy was i in for a shock when i was shown the official thinness of the base coat !!

It sounds like you & your clients would really benefit from the proper training.

Totally agree. The training is always well worth the money.

hi there yes i think you are right thats true, yes i would rather be doing it right especially for my clients as i would hate to b thinning their nails out.

thanks everyone for all the great advice x

Latest posts

Back