Doing a makeup treatment sitting down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I'm still looking into whether to further my makeup training to the point that I'm boring myself with it lol!

Did level 2 makeup 5 years ago. Been doing treatments up until 2014. Health changed. Took time out. Looking to further my makeup training by doing level 3 makeup courses.

But before I make the financial commitment to doing level 3 makeup courses I need to know the following:

If my ability to stand for the duration of a makeup treatment becomes unbearable/impossible, is it feasible to expect to be able to carry out the treatment whilst sat on a moveable stool opposite a client who is also sat down?

I need to know this because I'd be so gutted to pay (what is big money to me) for training only to find out that the skills can't be used any more if my ability to stand for the duration of a treatment diminishes (which is pretty much the case now anyway).

Honest advice appreciated :)

Hi, it's been ages since I did make-up but I do believe if you really want to do it, you'll find a way. When I was doing make-up, I did occasionally sit, mainly when I was doing foundation work. Obviously on a good stool that goes up and down and moves easily. However, before investing more money in this, could you try sitting while doing a few case studies? If you find you can do close work like this, you'll know if it's possible for you.

Hi, it's been ages since I did make-up but I do believe if you really want to do it, you'll find a way. When I was doing make-up, I did occasionally sit, mainly when I was doing foundation work. Obviously on a good stool that goes up and down and moves easily. However, before investing more money in this, could you try sitting while doing a few case studies? If you find you can do close work like this, you'll know if it's possible for you.

I don't have access to a stool (so out of the loop it's unreal lol!). Did you find you were able to get the mobility and flexibility you needed using a beauty stool? :)

Did makeup on my friend today and managed to stand up for the full duration. Managed the detail on the eyes and everything.

Very happy! There is hope :) still shopping around for a course therefore. It's just something I really want to do even if it just turns out to be a hobby :) omg :)

Still shopping around for level 3 vtct makeup courses if anyone knows of any :)

I know you're not far from us. If you would you like to come and have a play, just let me know x

I know you're not far from us. If you would you like to come and have a play, just let me know x

Thank you :) put on a course for vtct level 3 fashion and photographic makeup. I've done months of research looking for a course to be able to tell you that you'd be filling what is a massive gap in the market ;)

I don't have access to a stool (so out of the loop it's unreal lol!). Did you find you were able to get the mobility and flexibility you needed using a beauty stool? :)
Hi, I did. But the stool moved around easily on castors and went up and down. The only thing with close work like eyes is you have to lean in and that's where standing up is better, otherwise you can do your back in.

I'm a wheelchair user and I cope so I'm sure you'll be fine if you need to use a beauty stool. Choose a good one that has a good range of height setting.

I'm a wheelchair user and I cope so I'm sure you'll be fine if you need to use a beauty stool. Choose a good one that has a good range of height setting.

Thanks for this :) awesomely helpful and reassuring :)

It's only recently (relative to the length of my time in this industry) that my health has changed what I can and can't do so I'm really pleased to read your post here because I'm still working out what is and isn't viable any more in order that I can then move forward). Thanks for this :)

I do makeup treatments sat on a 'cutting stool' so I can move from side to side, while the client is sat on a chair of similar hight.

I find that most clients prefer this rather than having a someone stood over them.

I prefer to do make up sitting down on a stool. Saves knees and back and I find I'm steadier handed while sitting. I'm sure if hair dressers can cut and style fringes and hair sitting we can do make up. I find lashes easier when standing for applying falsies.

Hi all :) some more reassuring replies :) excellent!

I have started taking some vtct level 3 makeup courses on a modular basis. I reached that point where not doing it was bothering me so much was affecting me too much (eww, I know that sounds really dramatic but there's an element of truth in it!).

The way I see it is this: my massage career is definitely up due to health reasons and as much as I love doing nails it's not something I'll be able to teach because most colleges use products I am allergic to. On this basis I think it's important to do makeup, I've always enjoyed it and felt confident post level 2 but I need to be able to demonstrate that on paper. Plus it is awesome learning more skills and I feel that level 3 does involve this despite people who say you don't need level 3 makeup.

I think starting some level 3 makeup courses has been good for my morale as a disabled person in terms of how I've gone from being all like "don't do it you can't really afford it anyway and it might not work out anyway" to "actually I'm going to have a blummin good go at this because I'm getting upset with myself for writing things off".

I already have some industry experience with makeup so the goal is being able to teach it, ideally as an evening course. In terms of industry experience I don't have the stamina for film sets and day long events but my tutor said that the market for night out makeup is there :)

Latest posts

Back