Don’t feel up to scratch-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobby93

Reaction score
Hi, so I qualified at level 2 in January 2020.
I did my course while heavily pregnant and breastfeeding( college was 1.5 hours away) which was stressful enough.
I passed with a merit which I was really pleased with, but since starting my freelance business I just don’t feel confident. I’ve done lots of cuts which have been ok, but my highlights aren’t close enough to the scalp. I went back to my client and said I’d correct it for free. She asked to just have a root colour put on, which went ok, but it came down too low at the front despite using a conditioner as blending agent.

I’m going back again tomorrow to sort it yet again for free. I’ve said I’ll put blonde back through the front with chunky lowlights throughout but I’m scared it’s going to look absolutely crap and it’s really hot me questioning (after spending over £6000 on course and freelance supplies) whether I’m actually cut out to do this.

I’m looking for a chair rental on level 3 apprenticeship, but I don't have the salon experience to do either.

please help!

Sounds like you’ve worked really hard to complete your level 2 so we’ll done for persevering. 🙌

Realistically, I don’t know anyone that would be salon ready straight after level 2 unless they’ve been working in a salon for a few years. You’ve only been taught the basics so far, so your plan to complete level 3 is a sensible one. You can definitely improve your technique by practicing on training heads and following good online training such as www.freesaloneducation.com

Unfortunately, a lot of YouTube videos are awful with very poor techniques (no cross checking), so I think you need to be careful to not pick up bad habits.

My preference for the best online education is www.myhairdressers.com. It’s not free but definitely worth the investment. This would be my recommendation for your next step.

Additionally, if you can afford the time and fees, I’d highly recommend the Sassoon Academy intensive short courses, although I think you get the most from them when you’ve got at least a couple of years practical experience behind you.

If I had to choose, I’d go with a 1 or 2 week intensive Sassoon course over completing your Level 3...!

Good luck!

Thankyou for your reply!

I applied for a level 2 apprenticeship yesterday but I’m not sure I would be able to do it as I’ve already got level 2.
I have also applied to go to college and do a full time level 3 course, but with a mortgage and two children it depends on whether we’d get any help.

I hate how in every job they want To hire experienced people, yet getting the experience is impossible!

I will definitely look into the sassoon courses, as I’d rather not be sat at college with a group of teenagers- but needs must!

I love the free salon education!

I really feel for you. You've put so much effort in, but it really is difficult to get into hairdressing when you're not entitled to any funding. I know it's not ideal but how about approaching local salons and offering to work free of charge a couple of days a week in exchange for training/experience? I know it sounds one sided but you'd be getting training and salon experience - it's a means to an end. I wouldn't be too bothered about pursuing a level 3 at this point, salon experience is far more valuable. Besides, some of the best stylists I know only have level 2.

I've never done a Sassoon course, but I've heard they are amazing. If they're too expensive, L'Oreal education is good, but I really think salon experience would be more beneficial and might even work out cheaper in the long run, especially if it leads to a job.

This may be a bit 'out there' but could you look for a job as a technician in a college or hair training facility? Then you could get paid, be able to attend some courses yourself (probably free or reduced cost) and ask for support or training from the teams there.
Other option, as someone else mentioned, could you find a busy salon or even stylist that you could support in exchange for some sort of wage and training?

You sound like you really care about your clients and your work, so I can imagine you'll be a real asset to any business. Good luck.

I really feel for you. You've put so much effort in, but it really is difficult to get into hairdressing when you're not entitled to any funding. I know it's not ideal but how about approaching local salons and offering to work free of charge a couple of days a week in exchange for training/experience? I know it sounds one sided but you'd be getting training and salon experience - it's a means to an end. I wouldn't be too bothered about pursuing a level 3 at this point, salon experience is far more valuable. Besides, some of the best stylists I know only have level 2.

I've never done a Sassoon course, but I've heard they are amazing. If they're too expensive, L'Oreal education is good, but I really think salon experience would be more beneficial and might even work out cheaper in the long run, especially if it leads to a job.

That would be potentially illegal as by law, the salon has to pay NMW to anyone that works there. You could only really volunteer as an observer.

That would be potentially illegal as by law, the salon has to pay NMW to anyone that works there. You could only really volunteer as an observer.
Isn't that what an internship is? NMW is to protect employed people, this would be on a volunteer basis.

My understanding is that Internships are very limited and specific and only apply to certain occupations and you couldn’t class volunteering in a salon as an internship.

A volunteer is not typically covered by ur insurance, so volunteers can not normally do much hands on. Obv all ins is different, but they usually only cover assistants/juniors/apprentices who are training and being paid.

Latest posts

Back