Don't know what to do........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...just want to add, any insurance will be invalid if you are not using the systems properly i.e. mixing brands. It is your employers salon and so her responsibility.

If she wants you to be self insured you can insist that you use the systems as they are supposed to be used, as you will be liable for any problems, but I quite understand why you think you should not have to do this.

You may also want to check that she is paying your NI and Tax. Do you receive a payslip with these details on and what the deductions are per month and YTD? If not then she probably thinks you should also be paying this yourself!
Sounds like a nightmare and I for one would not work there for £500 a month!! Is that full time?!! She does sound a bit of a corner cutter!

Chick if it was me I would leave a couple of weeks before Christmas just to pee her off !!! If she isn't qualified then she's going to struggle over the festive run up but u can say ho ho ho merry Christmas set ya self up on ur own mobile!!!! Xxxx

Why don't you talk to your boss about becoming self employed where you are?
That way, you don't have to move. You buy your products (keep them locked up or take them home with you) you have your insurance and the only thing you do is pay her a weekly rent.
You write a contract that states how much rent you pay, that you are renting a table, or a room or a number of services, which ever applies to your situation. That you are responsible for your own insurance, products and training.
That she is responsible for providing a suitable work space, ie she complies with the health and safety in the work place regs.
That she will take bookings for you, that you can use her debit and credit card machine. That she will advertise your availability. That neither of you will seek to take the clients of other therapists from each other.
That you will each undertake to give each other two weeks notice to quit.
I think I've covered it all but others feel free to add please:lol:
As an ex bankrupt myself I can tell you that if you are 3 years clear you do not have to declare this to insurance companies any more. I got that from the Northampton insolvency office so I know that's correct with today's laws.
If you are under 3 years clear I know Salon Gold will insure you, you have to ring them for a quote but it's not a great deal more then the on line quote and it's still cheaper then a lot of other insurance companies.
I personally would prefer to be self employed, the national insurance is a lot less, the self assesment forms are quiet straight forward to fill in and the money you will make is far more then you will make as an employee. Also if the salon ends up in trouble, you will still have your clients, so long as you have that in your contract) I'm not good with taking orders but I like working around other people, so it's a win win for me.
hth xx

Thanks Geeks.....

I have spoken to her today, and i'm not sure how its going to go, but i have asked her about going self employed in the salon, and have informed her that if she doesn't let me go self employed, i most definatley will not be paying for my own insurance or training. She;s going to have a think about it and we'll talk about it in a week or so.

I did also advise her that if she's mixing the systems then she will invalidate her insurance.....she doesn't seem to understand tbh....i'll just let her get on with it.

She does pay my tax and NI, i get a monthly pay slip with my YTD earnings......i only take home £469 per month as i only work 20 hours a week at the moment. I would go full time, but in all fairness, we actually end up worse off if i work full time what with my hubby being ,made redundant not so long back.

I was cleared from my bankruptcy in july 2009. so not quite 3 years yet, but i will bear that in mind Susie. Thankyou for telling me that though, it is very much appreciated. It is something that i didn't know so that really has helped!!

If my boss doesnt agree to me renting out the table, or the room upstairs then i think i will look into going S/E in the new year i think. i have taken note of all you have said and i will keep that in mind for when i do eventually get there.......I am actually thinking of going mobile tbh, might be better for me than being stuck in a salon all day, and i'd be able to control how many hours per day i do to fit in with the kids etc.

I'm just so annoyed by the whole thing to be honest, I just want to work somewhere nice doing the thing that i love doing most........i didn't think it would be soooooooo difficult!!

Latest posts

Back